Slow decay
  • Invictus
    Cadet
    Cadet

Slow decay

by Invictus » Tue May 06, 2008 6:35 pm

Hello everyone. Critique hats at the ready? ;)

Image basic info:
    DateTimeOriginal - 2008:05:05 09:01:34
    Firstly, this is one of the first images in quite a while that I have thought suited being presented in B&W.
    What I wanted to capture, was the wooden post, it's texture, decomposition, and character, while still in context to it's surroundings.
    This particular post stands precariously atop a ridge, with fencing pulling on it from multiple directions.
    When I think of strainer/corner posts, I think of a piece of timber that has been chosen for its strength, but also think of how they harden and decay with age and affliction and over the decades.

Composition: I think I managed to show that it's part of a fence, and not a solo post, by showing the retreating dilapidated fence line. I think it also shows What I'm not sure of is that it shows it's environment (ie: rolling hills with trees in the distance).
    While I am personally pleased with the result, I do worry that the thin skyline at the top, and background trees detracts from the image in a way.

Does this image work as a B&W? Does it work you at all?

I am very open and interested in other peoples thoughts on this image.

Image tech info:
    Camera - Canon PowerShot S3 IS
    ExposureTime - 1/1600 seconds
    ShutterSpeedValue - 1/1614 seconds
    ApertureValue - F 3.51
    ISO Value - 80

PP:
    - B&W conversion
    - Minor contrast
    - Minor sharpening.
    - Clone out of a bug
    - No cropping

Image: (Will make a full size and/or original version available if required.)

Original

Last edited by Invictus on Thu May 08, 2008 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Matt.

"In a past life I had three arms, and two heads, and the days were 48 hours long. I'm still struggling to adjust."

by Guest » Wed May 07, 2008 10:50 pm

thanks for all the data, to me i;'d actually like to see more of the fence line in focus, as it stands the only real distinguishing feature is the rather unremarkable post, on a lean.

I do like the thought and the B&W treatment though
  • Invictus
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Invictus » Thu May 08, 2008 10:47 am

Thanks for taking the time to reply Darren, very appreciated.
    I certainly understand what you mean by the background. Perhaps a little more DOF was in order.

I've added the original, untouched image to the OP.
    Matt.

"In a past life I had three arms, and two heads, and the days were 48 hours long. I'm still struggling to adjust."
    matt
    Reporter
    Reporter

by matt » Thu May 08, 2008 1:27 pm

If you can go back, try it in a landscape.

I also like your PP to BW..Well done.

MATT
    SteveB
    Cadet
    Cadet

by SteveB » Thu May 08, 2008 4:37 pm

I think that DOF is what lets it down a bit but having said that I find that in the original the other posts seem to be more noticeable probably because the main post is not as punchy and stark, it is of similar colurs/tones. You are not drawn to the front post, more you are looking at the whole image on the original.

just my opinion
    Steve
  • Invictus
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Invictus » Sat May 10, 2008 10:34 pm

matt wrote:If you can go back, try it in a landscape.
    I also like your PP to BW..Well done.

Thanks, and I suspect I will be back there again. Only an hour or so away, and sure to be through there again sometime. Hopefully at the right time of day. Not sure about landscape as there were a few things off-screen that i didn't want in frame. But certainly is food for thought about composing it again.

SteveB wrote:I think that DOF is what lets it down a bit but having said that I find that in the original the other posts seem to be more noticeable probably because the main post is not as punchy and stark, it is of similar colurs/tones. You are not drawn to the front post, more you are looking at the whole image on the original.
    just my opinion
    Steve

Thanks Steve. Opinions are welcome. The original/colour is in hindsight much easier to discern.
    It's certainly good to hear others thoughts on this. After a couple of days and looking over it again with fresh eyes, I certainly see the merit in each of your points.

The biggest regret was that I had just taken the shot, and preparing for another, when a large group of young raucous tourists pulled up to take in the view. From there it was some idle chatting and a glance at the watch told me it was time head off to attend more urgent matters. So i didn't take any other shots of what I thought I may already have. Lessoned learned.
    I'll have to see what i can do next time. Thanks again guys. :)
    Matt.

Canon400D
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Canon400D » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:05 pm

I would love to see it with better DOF also
    50D, 18-55mm, 70-300mm and 100mm macro

Les