by Canon400D » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:56 pm

Hi i dont mind this shot at all good imagination, nice colours
    50D, 18-55mm, 70-300mm and 100mm macro

Les
    Sir Tristram
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Sir Tristram » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:31 pm

Hi Definitive. Can I ask you to read the Critics corner objectives for posters and add to your post description.

For Requesters:

Firsly and most importantly, try to tell us what you set out to achieve when taking the shot – what were your thoughts and hopes about the scene being captured. In other words you, the topic starter, have to start the discussion yourself by providing your own evaluation of the picture and the points you want to discuss. There is a crucial point in the taking of a photo, and much that is done before the shutter is pressed can only be slightly improved with later PP. Describing the situation, surroundings, available shooting positions, available lighting possibilities can all enable the critiquers to come up with more meaningful evaluations of your photo.
    John C.
    **PPOK**
    definitive

by definitive » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:55 pm

Sir Tristram wrote:Hi Definitive. Can I ask you to read the Critics corner objectives for posters and add to your post description.

Sorry about that...

There really is no story behind this shot, I just wanted to know if this is a good photo, and if not, why, that's all
    Team Piggy

by Team Piggy » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:25 pm

Whilst good, the blown out section in the centre for me makes it hard to balance the eyes on other parts of the image.
    Professional Lurker...Thats me safe for another 3 months..;)
    D3 |D700 |D300 x2 | D200 x2|D70s|300 2.8VR|70-200, 2.8VR|28-70, 2.8|50-500|50, 1.4|18-200 VR|14-24|10.5| Batt Grips|Pocketwizards|Manfrotto's blah blah.
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:14 pm

I have a question along with me comments, how did you go about creating this picture?

I like the image although the shape of the small bottles isn't the same as the larger one therefore looks out of place. Also the colouring of the larger bottle looks as though it should be upright not laying over.
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
  • Damo

by Damo » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:53 pm

i like the blown out area because it kind of makes the large bottle disappear into the background.
    maybe you could crop out the purple mini bottle on the right and then the colours would create more of a pattern to lead the eye thru the image from right to left. just an idea :P
    having said that, i do like it as it is.
    Damo - 300d
    all tips/critique/suggestions welcome..
    LOZ
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by LOZ » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:59 pm

NO
    Ken182
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Ken182 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:41 pm

This is harsh - this shot has been done, if you are learning fine, recreate something that exists so you can learn the style and technique, now go and do a shot that the owner of the product will go "WOW!"
    In a forum, no one can hear you scream!

http://www.kensphotoblog2013.com/
    chappy

by chappy » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:41 am

I agree with Loz

NO
    Cheers
    Mark
    *PPOK*
    I shoot Canon

http://photographingcq.com
    photoboy
    Cadet
    Cadet

by photoboy » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:02 am

Iwant to try to be constructive here and also want to state up front that I do not do this type of work ... it's too hard for a simple man like me :roll:

The technicals are OK but I think that the whole design of the thing needs re-think ... naturally I am making assumptions about your intentions with the shot - if your intentions are very different from my assumptions then YMMV. If you are attempting a advertising shot then I think the design of this image is all over the place.

I accept concept of the blow-out of the big bottle blending into the background and even think that it could work to give a cold mist like effect. If that's what you are trying to achieve then the bottles should all be covered in mist and "water" droplets ... here they are dry and look unappealing.

I really don’t know why the big bottle is lying down with its bottom pointing towards the viewer and with its (all important) label partly obscured by the small ones ... the neck of the bottle should face the viewer enticing us to open the bottle and sample the contents :)

While on that subject - the small bottles are all empty with their neck seals in various states of disarray, this would not be acceptable in an advertising shot - perhaps too much sampling was done before the shot was set up :)

Five is also an odd number of accessories (small bottles) to add - and the one on the LHS is just completely out of place... Oh and the two clusters of small bottles "compete" with one another for visual dominance. Try limiting it to 3 in a single cluster.

I think the design needs a re-think

{my longest post ever :) }

PC
    Sometimes you're the windshield; sometimes you're the bug.
    "chance" favours the prepared mind ...
  • methd

by methd » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:46 pm

what i dont like the most is that the bottle have been opened...
    lots of Nikon gear
    Dug
    Senior Photojournalist
    Senior Photojournalist

by Dug » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:21 pm

the balance of the photo annoys me the red bottle on the left with the dark part of the large bottle drags attention to the far left of the image.

I also find the bottle tops strips where they have been opened distracting.

I think if the bottles have been opened make it look deliberate.

See if it looks better taking the photos BEFORE drinking all that vodka :lol: :lol:
    "Photography to the amateur is recreation, to the professional it is work, and hard work too, no matter how pleasurable it may be."

Edward Weston

( Total NIKON bigot )

PPOK
    definitive

by definitive » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:37 pm

Thanks everyone, I didn't mean to sample the products, its too hard to resist

At first I tried to have the big bottle upward, but it was too large, and hard to get a good composition...

I was trying to have the darker colors on the left hand side, then lighters ones toward the right

I wanted a blown out look because Vodka is a clear liquid, does that make sense?

Most seems to agree that this would not make a good advertising photo, can anyone give me some more details on composition and lighting etc so I can try again?
    Dug
    Senior Photojournalist
    Senior Photojournalist

by Dug » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:48 pm

Send me 6 bottles of Absolut Vodka and I will demonstrate how I would take the shot :D
    "Photography to the amateur is recreation, to the professional it is work, and hard work too, no matter how pleasurable it may be."

Edward Weston

( Total NIKON bigot )

PPOK