Experiments in filtration
  • K1W1
    Cadet
    Cadet

Experiments in filtration

by K1W1 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:52 pm

I recently lashed out on the big auction site and brought myself a set of three 77mm ND filters plus a set of seven step up rings from 52-77mm so I can now use any of the Filters on any of my lenses. They have been in my bag unused for a month or so so yesterday I thought it was time to try things out. This is in no way scientific all I wanted to do was see what effect the various filter combinations had on the scene particularly the water. Seeing as I took the photos I thought posting them for others to see may be worthwhile.

D300, 50mm f1.8 lens, f8. Camera on tripod. Sun high overhead above my right shoulder and slightly behind the camera.
    Shot in RAW imported into LR3.3, camera landscape and lens correction settings applied (sync'd to all photos). No other pp.

No filter 1/800 sec

CP Filter 1/125 sec

ND2 Filter 1/400 sec

ND4 Filter 1/250 sec

ND6 Filter (2+4) 1/100 sec

ND8 Filter 1/100 sec

ND10 Filter (2+8 ) 1/40 sec

ND12 Filter (4+8 ) 1/25 sec

ND14 Filter (2+4+8 ) 1/13 sec
    Dug
    Senior Photojournalist
    Senior Photojournalist

by Dug » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:07 pm

ND filters do not do much except allow you longer exposures in any given light. So they are of minimal use in the midday sun. If you use them try stopping down to the smallest aperture available.

I would go back to the scene at dawn or dusk ( personally I would go at dusk because I hate getting up early :) and see what the scene looks like with a 30 second or longer exposure.

Have a tripod and remote release .......... and probably mosquito repellant :D
    "Photography to the amateur is recreation, to the professional it is work, and hard work too, no matter how pleasurable it may be."

Edward Weston

( Total NIKON bigot )

PPOK
  • K1W1
    Cadet
    Cadet

by K1W1 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:10 pm

Thanks but I was there I had my gear in the car and not much else to do once I had finished my coffee so I was just playing. It was really just an experiment to see what effect the various filters had on shutter speed for my own education rather than any exercise in producing great photos. That's why I used the water because obviously there wasn't going to be any difference in the sky or vegetation.
    Dug
    Senior Photojournalist
    Senior Photojournalist

by Dug » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:04 am

no Problems :wink:
    "Photography to the amateur is recreation, to the professional it is work, and hard work too, no matter how pleasurable it may be."

Edward Weston

( Total NIKON bigot )

PPOK
    Dalzine
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Dalzine » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:42 am

I bought a mess of cheap ND filters from eBay myself a few weeks ago but haven't used them yet.

I'm still waiting for it to stop raining. :roll:

Dale.
    Will build websites for 'L' glass.
    Dug
    Senior Photojournalist
    Senior Photojournalist

by Dug » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:29 pm

Dalzine wrote:I bought a mess of cheap ND filters from eBay myself a few weeks ago but haven't used them yet.

I'm still waiting for it to stop raining. :roll:

Dale.

If there is somewhere calm raindrops on water make a great long exposure effect

As long as the camera stays dry :D

Edward Weston

( Total NIKON bigot )

PPOK
  • K1W1
    Cadet
    Cadet

by K1W1 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:49 pm

Dug wrote:As long as the camera stays dry :D

Got a Think Tank Hydrophobia for that. Works great even in this weather. :D