Hi everyone.
  • BenV.2

Hi everyone.

by BenV.2 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:38 pm

Hi everybody.

My name is Ben and I just recently go into photography. Bought myself a Canon 60D with a 18-200 lens and a Canon S100 while on holiday in the USA. Now I'm trying to decide what lens to get next and I'm leaning towards a EF 50mm f/1.2L

Got some pretty good pictures (I think they're pretty good for a beginner anyway) while I was there.

I took this one during a sunset at the grand canyon. Didn't like my originals so I made a HDR out of them, which turned out alright

Here's one from Vegas, I took by leaning out the window of the limousine while cruising down the strip.

You can probably guess this one.

Central park in NYC

And lastly (for now, I still have about 4000 to sort through and edit) monument valley

Any tips or critique (good or bad) is most welcome. It's really the only way to learn and improve after all.
  • vlt87kal
    Cadet
    Cadet

Re: Hi everyone.

by vlt87kal » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:21 pm

welcome to the forums mate
    All Comments Welcome.......
    *PPOK*
    Dalzine
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Dalzine » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:24 pm

Last one for me, though you may want to go a little easier on the vignetting on the last three. First one could probably do with a bit of a straighten.

Dale.
    Will build websites for 'L' glass.
  • BenV.2

by BenV.2 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:09 am

I can definitely go easier on the vignette next time. I edited those on an iPad so I didn't get a lighter option. I really should learn how to use photoshop better.

So fr all I've figured out is how to create a HDR.
    Dalzine
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Dalzine » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:53 am

If you don't want to go through the steep learning curve of Photoshop then I can recommend Adobe Lightroom. Not as powerful as Photoshop but you still get non-destructive editing as well as local adjustments, gradient filters, spot removal, tonal adjustments and a bunch of one click presets to get you started.

Plus you can add a vignette with a simple slider.

Dale.
    Dug
    Senior Photojournalist
    Senior Photojournalist

by Dug » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:00 pm

Hi and welcome

I must first give you my traditional evil canon scum comment

Now I can say I quite like the photos ( for canon shots ) The Las Vagas is my fave.

I don't mind the vignetting, it is just a personal taste thing.

Photoshop is a steep learning curve but well worth the effort if you have the time.

anyway cheers from the resident Nikon Bigot

hope you stay and enjoy the other people here who are really friendly and nice :wink:
    "Photography to the amateur is recreation, to the professional it is work, and hard work too, no matter how pleasurable it may be."

Edward Weston

( Total NIKON bigot )

PPOK
  • BenV.2

by BenV.2 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:32 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.
    The Vegas one is my favorite too Dug. Brings back so many awesome memories every time I see it. I've got an A3 sized print of that one hanging in my room.
    heartyfisher
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by heartyfisher » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:59 pm

BenV.2 wrote:I can definitely go easier on the vignette next time. I edited those on an iPad so I didn't get a lighter option. I really should learn how to use photoshop better.

So fr all I've figured out is how to create a HDR.

Nice ... unusual place that USA :-)
    Moments of Light : D7K D610 18-200 150 12-24 24-70 70-200 + C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.
  • BenV.2

by BenV.2 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:25 pm

heartyfisher wrote:
    BenV.2 wrote:Nice ... unusual place that USA :-)

Especially Vegas, some of the things I saw there can not be unseen...unfortunately.
    Memphis, New Orleans, Dallas, St Augustine, Savannah, Washington DC and New York city were all really cool though.
    Dug
    Senior Photojournalist
    Senior Photojournalist

by Dug » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:48 pm

BenV.2 wrote:Especially Vegas, some of the things I saw there can not be unseen...unfortunately.

PHOTOS !!!!!! :lol:
    "Photography to the amateur is recreation, to the professional it is work, and hard work too, no matter how pleasurable it may be."

Edward Weston

( Total NIKON bigot )

PPOK
    Dug
    Senior Photojournalist
    Senior Photojournalist

by Dug » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:50 pm

Did you drive yourself ?

How did you travel ?

( Curious because the only way I could imagine seeing America is from a car but the left hand drive thing worries me )

Edward Weston

( Total NIKON bigot )

PPOK
    Dug
    Senior Photojournalist
    Senior Photojournalist

by Dug » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:45 pm

hope you don't mind Ben but I had a quick play with this shot in photoshop

If you are OK with this can I suggest you put PPOK in your signature

If not let me know and I am happy to remove the post

Just my interpretation of the shot.

Oh and from a personal note I would have taken the shot standing on the center line of the road :wink:

Edward Weston

( Total NIKON bigot )

PPOK
  • BenV.2

by BenV.2 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:51 pm

Dug wrote:Image

hope you don't mind Ben but I had a quick play with this shot in photoshop

If you are OK with this can I suggest you put PPOK in your signature

If not let me know and I am happy to remove the post

Just my interpretation of the shot.

Oh and from a personal note I would have taken the shot standing on the center line of the road :wink:

Don't mind at all, that shot looks way better now then when I shopped it. I also wanted to take the shot from the middle of the road but a line of trucks coming from behind me would have ruined the shot a little... and me too. Plus we had to get back on the coach and keep driving to the Grand Canyon, we only had about a two minute stop there.
    What's PPOK and how do I put it in my signature? Where's my signature actually? Do I have one on tapatalk?

Oh and I was in a contiki tour so we got driven every where by coach. I did the Grand Southern from LA to NYC to be more exact. It was AWESOME!!!!
    Dalzine
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Dalzine » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:57 am

BenV.2 wrote:Don't mind at all, that shot looks way better now then when I shopped it. I also wanted to take the shot from the middle of the road but a line of trucks coming from behind me would have ruined the shot a little... and me too. Plus we had to get back on the coach and keep driving to the Grand Canyon, we only had about a two minute stop there.
    What's PPOK and how do I put it in my signature? Where's my signature actually? Do I have one on tapatalk?

Oh and I was in a contiki tour so we got driven every where by coach. I did the Grand Southern from LA to NYC to be more exact. It was AWESOME!!!!

PPOK means Post Processing OKay on my images, it basically allows other people to edit your images and repost them in the same thread.

You can edit your signature by going to your User Control Panel which is just under the search box at the top of the page. Go to Overview >> Edit Signature.

Dale.
    Dug
    Senior Photojournalist
    Senior Photojournalist

by Dug » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:30 pm

I also wanted to take the shot from the middle of the road but a line of trucks coming from behind me would have ruined the shot a little... and me too.

COWARD !!!! :lol:

Letting little think like mortal danger from wrecking your shot :wink:

Edward Weston

( Total NIKON bigot )

PPOK