Hi from Eden
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Hi from Eden

by Eden » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:19 pm

Hi photo people !

great to be here and have been looking at past posts,,, Fantastic photos and info ,,,,Cheers!

I used to have a SLR (20 years ago) and then went through the new digitals,,,,,, first 1 mp canon,,,, then a 3.2 ,,,,then the 9mp and 10x optical canon sx

after all the point and shoot machines I had i felt like i have forgotten how to take a photo !

so 2 months ago I started trawling feebay and after watching 300+ auctions i grabbed a 550d (actually a rebel T2i ) for 400 smackers and now I can teach myself to creep away from the green square on the dial and have some fun

so I wont be very good for a while :( but I love taking photos and seem to find plenty of subject material to keep me happy !

bear with me a little please as Im slow to pick up the terminology and the right words but once its in there it stays there.

Well here goes , I know i need to wait for 25 posts b4 being able to sell and buy or use some of the deals on this forum and Im fine with that ( your about to get the usual dumb arsed questions for my slow learning curve) but when the time is over I will be looking for the usual stuff and can wait ,,,so in the meantime here are my thoughts and""" ALL feedback is welcome """

I have the 550d

so first will to get the cables ,discs (or copies), charger for the battery it came with and get myself a screen protector for the LCD ( will see how it looks when its on)

Im not worried about photo software as what you see is what you get ( too lazy to learn another computer programme really !) however I will crop an image to get what I wanted to start with but couldnt work out how to get itso I have bought a 1.5 terra byte hard drive to store on and will get a backup later and just use the laptop for now.

I will go for an origional canon battery grip and stock up on AA lithium rechargeable batteries as I have labourers hands and need the extra grip.

then im after a few lenses---- first to hunt down will be a 28-105 usm lens,, not the bad ones ( ive been reading!)

then a few primes as I love macro subjects and want to play more with them ( cannot afford good zooms yet)

then I will try to hunt down ( when money permits) a 16 or 17 - 35 2.8L usm ( that will be my cherry )

so as my peace offering here is my fav photo of my kid on the sema4 jetty nearly 10 years ago taken with my 1 or 3.2 mp canon cheapie

catch you all soon

cheers eden
    I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
    DJT
    Reporter
    Reporter

Re: Hi from Eden

by DJT » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:50 pm

Welcome to the forum.
    Nice photo to get the ball rolling.
    David
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by beeb » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:34 pm

Welcome, welcome... :)
    boggy
    Cadet
    Cadet

by boggy » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:53 pm

Welcome Eden,

I haven't heard very good things about using AA's and the battery grip. I would recommend Genuine Canon LiPo instead, and also the aftermarket batteries do NOT register in the camera software.. I have heard the AA's don't last long at all, and should only be used for an emergency. Might be worth some further investigation so you don't get dissappointed.

As for the 17-40 / 16-35 you wont look back. I have the 17-40 F4 and it is fantastic..

Good luck and welcome again.

Cheers

Boggy
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:53 am

Thanks fellas.

will take note on the battery advice and start sussing out the reviews out there

I will now check if the battery grip shows up in the software and if "1 orrig and 1 aftermarket" show also

enjoy the weekend folks
    eden
    I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK