Hi from Byron Bay
  • JWhitehead333

Hi from Byron Bay

by JWhitehead333 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:34 pm

Hi guys, just joined this forum. I purchased my first DSLR camera a year ago, and have been enjoying photography since. Im a uni student studying audio engineering.

I have the following:
    Nikon D5100
    Nikon 18-55 kit lens
    Tamron 70-300

I used these two lenses for about 8 months, then my friend (recently) recommended trying some older Russian and German lenses.
    So I have recently purchased:
    SMC Pentax Takumar f3.5 28mm wide angle (m42 mount)
    SMC Pentax Ashai f4 50mm Macro (K Mount)
    Helios 44m f2 58mm (m42 mount)
    Carl Zeiss f2.8 50mm (m42 mount)

I have really enjoyed these new old lenses, they are all manual so you have to think a bit more about what settings you are using. Im amazed by how sharp they are. I like taking photos of landscapes, animals, macro subjects and the sky.
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Re: Hi from Byron Bay

by Eden » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:48 pm

Hi JWhitehead333

bring the photos on!

really interested in the old lenses and how they go !

Im new on this site and its got some fantastic stuff in the old posts so have a good trawl

cant wait to see some of your Macros as you have cool subjects in your neck of the woods

hope you get as much from the forum as I am !

cheers eden
    I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
    Dug
    Senior Photojournalist
    Senior Photojournalist

by Dug » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:11 pm

YEA and welcome fellow nikon user

you have heaps of great landscapes round Byron

looking forward to seeing some photos
    "Photography to the amateur is recreation, to the professional it is work, and hard work too, no matter how pleasurable it may be."

Edward Weston

( Total NIKON bigot )

PPOK
  • JWhitehead333

by JWhitehead333 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:40 pm

Thanks guys, I will start uploading some photos soon. Yes this site seems to have lots of great info, I will certainly spend plenty of time reading and viewing.

Yeah I love macro, and the old lenses are great, Ive had lots of fun with mine, I will try uploading some lens comparisons if your interested.
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by W G » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:08 am

Welcome to the box of tricks Mr Whitehead,

Great to see someone delving into the treasure trove of the alternative optics.

Nothing at all wrong with being induced to think before you commit the image — photo forums worldwide are evidence that it is an approach should be engaged with greater frequency.

Cheers,
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi
  • JWhitehead333

by JWhitehead333 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:35 pm

Yeah, although a problem with the older manual lenses is that you can never get a quick shot off, so I have missed possible good photo opportunities because it takes a 30 seconds plus to set up...
    Dug
    Senior Photojournalist
    Senior Photojournalist

by Dug » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:52 pm

JWhitehead333 wrote:Yeah, although a problem with the older manual lenses is that you can never get a quick shot off, so I have missed possible good photo opportunities because it takes a 30 seconds plus to set up...

Hence the need for at least 2 cameras :roll: :wink:

What kind of adaptors are you using to fit the lenses ?
    "Photography to the amateur is recreation, to the professional it is work, and hard work too, no matter how pleasurable it may be."

Edward Weston

( Total NIKON bigot )

PPOK
  • JWhitehead333

by JWhitehead333 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:42 pm

Dug wrote:What kind of adaptors are you using to fit the lenses ?

I guess thats quite a good excuse to have 2 cameras… :D

For 3 of my older lenses I have a nikon to M42 adapter with the glass which allows focus to infinity on Nikon cameras. For the last one I have a nikon to pentax K mount adapter, also with the glass.

I don't know how much you know about the older lenses, but if your interested you can just search on ebay for m42 lenses, you can get some really good deals. You can also get the adapters from ebay.

Actually a friend and I are looking into doing a small YouTube series that focus on reviews of our older lenses. We had trouble finding consistent and reliable reviews and/or info on the older lenses. So we thought we could compare the ones we have. We have around 20-30 of them now, and we keep getting more…