Hi from Maleny
  • dwywit

Hi from Maleny

by dwywit » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:14 pm

Hi everyone – returning photographer here. I’ve never actually owned a digital camera – I’ve been using my wife’s gear as it suited my needs, up until now. She has a Canon 450D, and an IR-converted 350, but only entry-level lenses, which just aren’t quite pin-sharp. She’s also got a nice Kodak DX6490 which actually shoots sharper than the Canon lenses, but its colour rendition is lousy.

I’ve still got my Nikon FE + lenses (50mm f1.8, ‘F’ series 24mm f2.8, ‘F’ series 200mm f4), filters, etc. I’ve also got a Mamiya RB67 (my favourite camera ever) with 90mm and 180mm lenses, filters, Lunasix 3, cable release, tripods, etc.

In about 6 months I’ll have a budget of $3-$4K and I want some advice about the best way to spend it. I want to stick with Nikon and spend the bulk of the money on good lenses.

The D600 looks nice but I’m open to suggestions – even 2nd hand bodies would be OK if that helps me stretch the lens budget. Prefer full frame but I don’t really need HD video (already got a decent video camera) or more than about 12 or 16 MP – I’m not going to be printing larger than A4. Then one lens around 24-70 and another 70-200 or even 70-300. Plus an off-camera flash – I used to have a Sunpak which took me over 10 years to destroy, it was great.

Cheers

Bernie
    LOZ
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

Re: Hi from Maleny

by LOZ » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:17 pm

Welcome Bernie

Why do you need a DSLR? they are old hat life has moved on :wink:
    Calm down its not real life its a internet forum:)
    heartyfisher
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by heartyfisher » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:49 pm

LOZ wrote:Welcome Bernie

:lol: LOZ ! You are a stirrer !

@ dwywit : So envious of your coming DSLR experiences..! I had so much fun when i first got into this.

The problem with Digital vs film is that the tech gets dated very quickly.
    I had the D70 some 7 years ago. Then moved to the D200 clone(Fuji s5pro) and now the D7000.. probably next year i will be going for the new D400.. i believe many others here have had some 4-5 cameras in that same period.
    while others have had at least 2. (My D70 needs to be fixed but I dont know if i will.. the repair is probably going to cost twice as much as buying a second hand d70)

Therefore, the budget for a Digital system really gets you much less than you would think.. your budget is for say 5 years.. ? you will probably have 3 camera bodies in that period. so calculate accordingly.

My suggestions ? the D600 looks great if you must go FF. Otherwise consider the D7000. they are basically the same camera with different sensors. the D7000 is currently about half the price of the D600.

Still you are joining the Nikon Digital world at the right time as they only recently released the D4/D800 and D600. The D4/D800 probably wont be refreshed for another 4 years. However the D600 may have one in a couple of years. the rumours is that the D7000 will be updated in a few months probably in January or feb 2013..

It sounds like you are going for the good lenses! way to go ! They will last much longer than the Camera bodies. I am still using my old 18-70 kit lens from the D70.( it is really very good )
    The new nikkor 70-200 F4 VR looks like a good buy... not too sure if you can use those old lenses on the D600. do check.. good old Ken Rockwell has a very nice chart of Old Nikkor lenses and their compatibility with nikon cameras both Film and DSLRs

Most of all go slow.. only get what you need and then get the other bits later. You may "need" to upgrade your camera body sooner than you think :-) :lol:
    Moments of Light : D7K D610 18-200 150 12-24 24-70 70-200 + C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.
  • dwywit

by dwywit » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:28 pm

Toyo

Haha - thanks for the welcome. In reply to your question - I'm old-fashioned in some ways - I don't mind if it's film or a digital sensor at the back of the camera, as long as the lens is sharp, and the lightmeter is accurate. Don't really care about weight. If I could afford it, I'd upgrade the mamiya to digital. Actually, if I could afford it, I'd have a Toyo or Linhof 4x5 and a big 'ol film scanner. I miss playing around with monorails :(

Bernie
  • dwywit

by dwywit » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:46 pm

heartyfisher wrote:

@ dwywit : So envious of your coming DSLR experiences..! I had so much fun when i first got into this.

The problem with Digital vs film is that the tech gets dated very quickly.
    (cut for brevity)

Thanks for your advice - yes, I was born into a world where your camera was expected to last many years, and was designed and manufactured accordingly. Not that I mind upgrading the body in a year or three to get the benefits of the technology, but I want the lenses to last for a bit longer.

Thanks again - I'll keep gathering information for for a couple of months, and see what develops :lol:

Bernie
    LOZ
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by LOZ » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:32 pm

heartyfisher wrote:

/quote]

Hearty Im dead serious the Fuji Pro is a killer makes the D800/D600 look sick and same for the Canon 5?????? with the new German lens available why would you not consider one ?? .

Took mine OS last month and it was a pleasure to have and behold :wink: Only wish such a camera was around 10 years ago i could have saved $1000s
    Calm down its not real life its a internet forum:)
    Dug
    Senior Photojournalist
    Senior Photojournalist

by Dug » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:46 pm

Welcome fellow nikon and film friend !!!

WHEN I win millions of money in Lotto I look forward to burning my digitals and returning to 5x4 film cameras :D

Untill then the economic imperative is to keep playing with digital, it has become ( and I am loathed to say this ) amazingly good.

Using the D700 I rate is as good as film for everything except super long star trail photos but I am looking at some DOX software that seems to offer some interesting possibilities.

I really cannot see the point in a 24mp sensor for my use so at the moment I would be looking for another D700 either refurbished or a good second hand and spending the money saved on some nice glass.

I just bought the Nikkor 17 35 f2.8 and I am in love with it my upgrade to the newer 80 200 f2.8 is also pretty good.

Compacts are great but limiting if you are happy to lug the gear then I think that is the way to go ( personal choice but I so hate being somewhere and wishing I had X, Y or Z piece of stuff. )

looking forward to hearing what you buy and seeing some shots
    "Photography to the amateur is recreation, to the professional it is work, and hard work too, no matter how pleasurable it may be."

Edward Weston

( Total NIKON bigot )

PPOK
    CraigVTR
    Reporter
    Reporter

by CraigVTR » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:45 am

Welcome along Bernie,
    If you want to have a look or play with some glass such as the 70-200 2.8 vr2 or the 24-70 2.8 and speedlights etc, give me a yell. I live across the range in Montville.

Craig
    Regards
    Craig
    PPok Other pics in post OK
    So many forums, so little time.
    ion_mihaila

by ion_mihaila » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:50 pm

Dug wrote:...
    Using the D700 I rate is as good as film for everything except super long star trail photos but I am looking at some DOX software that seems to offer some interesting possibilities....

Hi,
    I don't mean to hijack the post but I came across a software http://www.startrails.de/html/software.html
    which is suppose to use a series of shots, like in a time lapse, instead of a really long one. I didn't get to test myself yet but a read somewhere that people were happy with it.

Cheers,
    C & C , PPOK welcome