Hello from Sydney!
  • welly

Hello from Sydney!

by welly » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:31 pm

Hey all,

I'm dipping my toe back in the DSLR world after a three or four year break from it and found this forum so thought I'd sign up and try and catch up with the digital world that I've missed (excepting a brief spell with a Fuji XPro1) for those years. I've been shooting large format film for a while now - and will continue to do so as my main format - but some of the more "decisive moment" photographic opportunities have been escaping me lately so have decided to pick up a DSLR for that. I'm probably going to be buying a D700 (which was my last DSLR) as who really needs more than 12,052,992 pixels? Not I! :) That said, the D7100 appears to be a great camera which I'm slightly tempted by but to be honest, I want a full frame camera again and the D600 is both out of my price bracket and doesn't have that nice (semi)pro body, which I use to love on the D700 and my old F100.

Anyway, will probably lurk for a bit until I have something useful to say!

Cheers,

Welly (Alastair)
    LOZ
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

Re: Hello from Sydney!

by LOZ » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:32 pm

Welcome but your too late :wink:

Official I now know more ppl that had a Fuji XPro1 that have :?
    Calm down its not real life its a internet forum:)
  • welly

by welly » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:36 pm

LOZ wrote:Welcome but your too late :wink:

The problem with the XPro1 is it captures beautiful images but the focus system, both manual and auto are next to useless, and that includes the updated firmware. It's a shame because when I could nail a shot it was quite something but those were rare occurrences. Anyway, back to the D700 which I know can capture those images, it's just a bit big and unwieldy.
    LOZ
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by LOZ » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:49 pm

welly wrote:
    LOZ wrote:Welcome but your too late :wink:

The problem with the XPro1 is it captures beautiful images but the focus system, both manual and auto are next to useless, and that includes the updated firmware. It's a shame because when I could nail a shot it was quite something but those were rare occurrences. Anyway, back to the D700 which I know can capture those images, it's just a bit big and unwieldy.

I've had both good luck :wink:
    Calm down its not real life its a internet forum:)
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by W G » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:42 am

Why not a film SLR Alastair? I suspect that perhaps there is a bit of a merry-go-round tempting you. The solution would be to buy a DSLR, enjoy the pride of ownership, and leave it in a drawer and never use it.

I just went through the 'Fuji X' thing and flogged it. Bought a Hasselblad with the proceeds and have never been happier. The 'Blad was the walk-around solution I was looking for all along.

Cheers,
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi
  • welly

by welly » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:17 pm

W G wrote:Why not a film SLR Alastair? I suspect that perhaps there is a bit of a merry-go-round tempting you. The solution would be to buy a DSLR, enjoy the pride of ownership, and leave it in a drawer and never use it.

I just went through the 'Fuji X' thing and flogged it. Bought a Hasselblad with the proceeds and have never been happier. The 'Blad was the walk-around solution I was looking for all along.

Cheers,

Mainly because I have enough developing on my hands with 4x5 and 8x10! And I prefer/enjoy developing those formats but find developing 35mm a little unexciting and more trouble than it's worth. I picked up a D700 yesterday for a good price ($1200 boxed with most of the parts unused and still in their bags) and I just bid on and won a 24mm f2.8 on the ebay for $240. So with that and a 50mm and I think I'll be set for any tiny format photography!