New guy keen on landscapes
  • paulyyy

New guy keen on landscapes

by paulyyy » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:32 pm

G'day guys my name is Paul and I reside in Brisbane south side. I studied photography at school many years ago and since then haven't touched an slr so my limited knowledge is gone haha. Decided the other day that I'd love to get back into photography as I'm a keen 4wd'er/tourer so hence the landscape interest. I purchased a Nikon D3100 with twin lens kit and was wondering what is best to shoot with being the 18-55 or the 55-200 lens. Also any suggestions on a good lens for further down the road once I learn the basics. And last but not least what should I be kitted out with eg. Lenses, filters, tripod and what not? Any advice will be greatly appreciated anks in advance :D
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Re: New guy keen on landscapes

by Busiboy » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:42 am

Paul,

Sorry for the lack lustre response, we normally aren't so snobbish.

I think you posted just prior to a flurry of new posts so yours got lost.

Welcome!

The lens you have is a good one, personally I would favour the longer end of your shorter lens, but that is me.

The next lens you should look at should be a prime within your budget, one that is close to your favoured focal length with the zoom.

When shooting be conscience of your focal length and see what suits your eye.
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:54 am

Hey Paulyyy

Hope you are still checking in.
    Good on you Busiboy for finding this post, 84 views is a bit poor.

I must confess I did see this one, probably when it first posted and I passed on it that time thinking someone else could better answer the Nikon related questions.
    But I should have at least said hello, welcome.
    As Busiboy said it just takes an influx of posts and you can disappear off the radar and get forgotten.

You have mixed an introduction with three questions, each question would be better with its own thread because to answer them well to someone starting out takes some careful explaining.

But here are some brief answers:

I purchased a Nikon D3100 with twin lens kit and was wondering what is best to shoot with being the 18-55 or the 55-200 lens.

You are going to find both useful for landscape, if you do more wide stuff the the 18-55 is going to end up the default lens most likely.
    Don't assume landscape is all about wide angle though. The longer lenses ability to give the impression of compressed depth in a picture and to give close and distant object more equal weight in a composition is very effective , so expect to do a bit of swapping between the lenses.

Also any suggestions on a good lens for further down the road once I learn the basics.

Kit lenses are very versatile particularly in landscape applications so learn the basics first and worry about additional lenses later.
    Experience, need and specialization will dictate to you what to get then.

And last but not least what should I be kitted out with eg. Lenses, filters, tripod and what not? Any advice will be greatly appreciated anks in advance

Definitely a tripod and as good as you can afford is usually the way to go. A flimsy one just does not do the job, and a good one can be a long term investment (I've had mine for maybe 30 yrs). Get a shutter release so you are not waiting on a camera timer (cheap will do).
    I don't go in for filters much so I'll leave that for someone else to make suggestions.
    DJT
    Reporter
    Reporter

by DJT » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:34 am

+1 missed your post.
    A good tripod as suggested & a CPL filter comes in handy too.
    David
  • paulyyy

by paulyyy » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:10 pm

Thanks for the replies guys as suggested I will continue to learn the basics with my kit lenses. Will invest in a tripod in the not to distant future aswell. As I'm on a fairly tight budget at this point in time what's a good tripod for under $150 ?
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:14 pm

As I'm on a fairly tight budget at this point in time what's a good tripod for under $150 ?

Best to check them out in a shop to find what you want and what you get for the money.
    Get the sturdiest one you can for that sort of money,
    Entry level cameras and kit lenses are quite light, so you don't need anything yet that supports a lot of over hanging weight but you don't want something that is so spindly that it blows round in the breeze.

Your first tripod could become a travel tripod down the track when you find you need something more solid, flexible in operation and durabile that paying more gets you.

This one looks pretty decent from a quick search as an example http://www.camerasdirect.com.au/giottos ... 2-630-head
    and another good brand http://www.camerasdirect.com.au/manfrot ... d-legs-kit
    but look at one in person and ones like it.

Nothing better that a personal recommendation so ask around as well.
    GeoffM
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by GeoffM » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:26 pm

Stick with what you have on the lens front, learn with them and evolve from there. A tripod as suggested is a very good investment but make sure it is sturdy. If its too flimsy movement can be introduced and you will probably be better off hand holding. Manfrotto have a good reputation, there are many other options also (I have a Giottos CF). I would suggest you go to a bricks and mortar shop to try out a few rather than buying on line and make sure that it will hold steady your heaviest lens/body combo. Bear in mind that outdoors strong wind and sometimes even a light breeze could upset the stability of mediocre tripods.

I don't use filters personally and never use UV filters for 'lens protection' either. Generally the glass used is of a lower standard than that of the lens manufacturer and may degrade the output files. That said I am considering investment in ND filters for long exposure work, I will only consider Lee or B&W filters though as they have the best reputation but the downside is they are expensive. As with all things in life.......you only get what you pay for!
    Fuji | X-Pro1 | XE-1 | XT-1 | XF14 | XF23 | XF27 | XF35 | XF56 | XF60 | XF10-24 | XF18-55 | XF55-200 | MCEX-11

http://gmarshall.zenfolio.com
    http://xtographer.weebly.com
    GeoffM
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by GeoffM » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:32 pm

Doug wrote:
    This one looks pretty decent from a quick search as an example http://www.camerasdirect.com.au/giottos ... 2-630-head
    and another good brand http://www.camerasdirect.com.au/manfrot ... d-legs-kit
    but look at one in person and ones like it.

Nothing better that a personal recommendation so ask around as well.

I can vouch for Cameras Direct, I buy most of my gear from them. They have a retail shop with a very good range of tripods on display. As you are in South Brisbane not too far for you to travel either.
    Fuji | X-Pro1 | XE-1 | XT-1 | XF14 | XF23 | XF27 | XF35 | XF56 | XF60 | XF10-24 | XF18-55 | XF55-200 | MCEX-11

http://gmarshall.zenfolio.com
    http://xtographer.weebly.com