New guy from Canberra
  • kwizikle

New guy from Canberra

by kwizikle » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:25 am

Hi Everyone,

Well I am back to playing with SLR's (DSLR) after a 20 year break...

I recently picked up a 650D and twins lens kit off eBay for a great price, then got offered an almost new 7D with 18-135 lens.

I am keen to do some sport photography, so sold one of my bikes and bought a 70-200 IS II L series and a 1.4 multiplier. Amazing bit of gear!

Also want to do some portrait work as well but looking for advice as both bodies are aps-c, a 50mm is going to be closer to 80mm... Would a 30mm say F1.4 be a good option for portrait work? Anyone have any feedback on Sigma 30mm 1.4 as Canon one is stratospherically dear in comparison....

Any advice welcome. Struggling coming to grips with software rather than darkroom work.... :grrpsycho: Playing around with Lightroom which I have found to be most intuitive from 8 offerings I have tried so far. Friend recommended Corel after shot but it would not read my raw files... :?

Anyway still learning a lot and gradually remembing quite a bit... All shots in full manual mode have been very successful but still learning how to use flash without creating shadows....

Looking forward to any help...and hopefully showing off some shots once I get some time off work that is not in the dark!!!!

Cheers Kwiz. :) :)
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

Re: New guy from Canberra

by Doug » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:53 am

Welcome kwizikle.

20 yrs is a long break.
    You will have realized by now that for all the fancy features, the basics have not changed.

I'm using Lightroom 5 and I find it gets the job done intuitively, with a good work flow.
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:19 pm

So sorry to hear, Canberra . . . . .

Welcome:D

Shoot and share, you've got plenty of subjects not far from you.
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:29 pm

Also want to do some portrait work as well but looking for advice as both bodies are aps-c, a 50mm is going to be closer to 80mm... Would a 30mm say F1.4 be a good option for portrait work? Anyone have any feedback on Sigma 30mm 1.4 as Canon one is stratospherically dear in comparison....

I don't do portrait photography, but from what I have gathered from lens discussions an effectively 50mm focal length is less popular than say an effectively 80 or 100mm FL.
    I'll just put that out there for discussion.
    GeoffM
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by GeoffM » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:25 pm

Welcome. For portrait work I would be looking at a 50, 85 or 100 on an APSC sensor. The 70-200 would be a good option too, covering all those focal lengths. Try a few portraits with the zoom first and then see what FL you use most often before opting for a prime.

I use LR5 and have used LR from the first rendition of the program, rarely use anything else. I do however use the NIK Silver effex plugin for B&W conversions. I find that these two programs do everything I need. I also have Adobe PSE 10, only used it once.
    Fuji | X-Pro1 | XE-1 | XT-1 | XF14 | XF23 | XF27 | XF35 | XF56 | XF60 | XF10-24 | XF18-55 | XF55-200 | MCEX-11

http://gmarshall.zenfolio.com
    http://xtographer.weebly.com
  • kwizikle

by kwizikle » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:20 am

GeoffM wrote:Welcome. For portrait work I would be looking at a 50, 85 or 100 on an APSC sensor. The 70-200 would be a good option too, covering all those focal lengths. Try a few portraits with the zoom first and then see what FL you use most often before opting for a prime.

I use LR5 and have used LR from the first rendition of the program, rarely use anything else. I do however use the NIK Silver effex plugin for B&W conversions. I find that these two programs do everything I need. I also have Adobe PSE 10, only used it once.

Thanks Geoff,

I have been doing as much. 70mm is around the equivalent of 112mm on full frame which I am finding just a bit too long! Somewhere between 50-80 (full frame equivalent) seems to be good.

Thanks for info on LR. Been playing with 4 but LR5 looks the go. I really like being the purest, so try to edit as little as possible with LR apart from cropping, odd exposure adjustment/ contrast... Black and white is still challenging me. Still struggling to get the contrast of Ilford 400! Will try the NIK silver effex.

Also struggling with flash but starting to get good results with bounce...

Anyone any experience with Gary Fongs Lightsphere?

BTW - some amazing shots on this forum! I am in awe!

Cheers Rob