Random shots
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Random shots

by Eden » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:09 am

Just getting used to the camera again and keeping busy between work and life.

starting to play with settings this week so hopefully will get better as I go :?

IMG_8997 by MrStinkybait, on Flickr

Playing in the garden????? Why do you ask?

IMG_8605 by MrStinkybait, on Flickr

IMG_8932 by MrStinkybait, on Flickr

IMG_9107 by MrStinkybait, on Flickr

a bit of cropping but processing done via windows ( sorry but havn't had time to install anything decent yet as this is usually for friends and family)

cheers eden

(Ps apart from the crappy angle on the jetty , why does this shot seem so wrong, is it too much jetty or what ?)
    I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

Re: Random shots

by Doug » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:48 pm

(Ps apart from the crappy angle on the jetty , why does this shot seem so wrong, is it too much jetty or what ?)

This is a non critique section, so I am just offering suggestions since you ask.

Its been done time and time again, but looking dead centre down a jetty just works.
    Perhaps you don't need the wide part of the jetty at all, what sets the picture apart is the storm cloud so you just have the jetty pointing to it.
    At the foot of that slop might like interesting and different, or the usual further forward looking down a flat jetty.
    Just try different things and pick your favourite is the best suggestion I can offer.
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:29 pm

IMG_9107 (2) by MrStinkybait, on Flickr

here is the link to the larger image Doug , please have a play if you like.

I know it is the non critique section but it was the advice given I was more after, thanks!

its a hard jetty as split level and has a large front with small end (f all symmetry or consistency)

I know it was a crappy shot to start with but I prefer the non perfect shots mostly and realise it is not easy to pull them off compared to sticking to the rules.

anyhow I reckon I will have to get under this jetty to drag a good shot or two out of it ,,

thanks Doug

Eden
    I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:34 am

Editing other peoples work is complicated on this site, even the PP Challenge stuff ends up in the COW selection page, but at least it is possible to tell were it came from in that situation.
    Only to happy to give you some ideas on editing, make a copy of what I have posted, acknowledge you have seen it and I'll delete it after that.

Perhaps in future, put anything you want edit suggestions examples with in the PP challenge section, or I could just email you an edit or use APF for that sort of request they do a lot of that there.

But anyway here's a colour and a b/w.
    In general I have lowered the brightness a bit and upped the contrast then recovered highlights in the cloud.
    In the colour I increased the saturation in the jetty boards to make the jetty stand out a bit more and in the B/w I mainly made it brighter relative to its surroundings.
    My crop ended up the same as yours,any higher from the bottom looks strange.
    Last edited by Doug on Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:44 am

cheers Doug ,
    I think black and white does a better job , much appreciated

Eden
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:37 pm

Doug, your not using links as such or flickr so I cannot save or look at what you have done ,, please bring a copy on Saturday,

cheers mate
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:19 pm

Yes I'll bring a copy along.

I was thinking you would go right click on the image and "save image as"

See you Saturday not so bright but early.