Water Tower and Filter Play
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

Water Tower and Filter Play

by W G » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:37 pm

90mm No Filters

120mm No Filters

120mm Filters. Silly me, I have a step-up adapter for the filters and forgot to take it with me and so a spot of vignetting resulted.

Cheers,
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

Re: Water Tower and Filter Play

by beeb » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:51 pm

What type of filter(s) Walter? Some sort of polariser I'm tipping...?
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:19 pm

The 2nd for mine Walter
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:50 pm

The first is my preference.

I think it is that the shadow has gone from under the tower in the last one that makes it my least favorite.

My partner sees a chocolate cake on a plater, she had a craving for cake for a while, apparently we have no icing sugar :)
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by W G » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:23 pm

Doug wrote:The first is my preference.

I am with you on that Doug which is actually a bot of a surprise because when I was shooting I obviously favoured the longer focal length and vertical. But is too much of a portrait and, as you may be aware, I love a bit of context ..... especially if I am going to shoot a number of these structures.

The filter pack was a 25a Red and a LInear Polariser. The filter pack just crept into frame as vignetting given the amount of lens rise I had on.

As it turns out, the filter pack did shift the tonality of the underside of the concrete plinth which I am not sure I am happy with. So, that's why I chose a local site that is easily revisited to do some tests to see what worked best.

Stay tuned,
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Plays with Light » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:02 pm

Doug wrote:My partner sees a chocolate cake on a plater, she had a craving for cake for a while, apparently we have no icing sugar :)

Damn, why didn't I see that? I saw a mushroom cloud going off... :oops:

I'll join Doug in saying it's a tad weird without the shadows underneath, but I do like the increased shadow and contrast on the side of the third one.
    Last edited by Plays with Light on Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Feedback and honest, constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:10 pm

I really like the contrast in the 120 with no filters especially how it has brought out the definition in the panels that form the tank and the brickwork in the retaining wall.

Most of the old water tanks around Adelaide are phone tower conversions now or slowly disappearing with sad regularity.

We are lucky to have one converted to a residence in Semaphore and you have inspired me to pay it a visit with the camera in hand.

eden
    I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK