Trying Out New Kit
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

Trying Out New Kit

by W G » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:59 pm

Well, you see, I was sauntering back ti the car having just stuffed myself with grub and I saw what I thought was a shot. But I did not have a lens of sufficiently long focal length. So strayed into Ebay and picked up a rather immaculate Nikkor-M 450mm lens for the Sinar. After some dud return trips in dodgy weather, last Saturday I cracked it for sun at as close to the right time as I could get there.

And so, here is my little reference to Florence in the heart of Parramatta.

Then, part of the great strength of longer lenses is that you only have to pan to find another visual flirtation:

It has been a while, hasn't it?
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

Re: Trying Out New Kit

by Plays with Light » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:24 am

That is a great little dome, well spotted, Walter. There's one in Prahan, that I recall, possibly of a similar size and much easier to capture, but it's a slightly longer trip to get there for you!

I'm really enjoying the detail in these two images. There's a "realness" that I still can't manage to capture digitally. Hope you had fun out in the sunshine!

A twisted side to me wants to imagine someone using your setup for a covert surveillance service! :wink:
    Feedback and honest, constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by W G » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:31 am

Thanks Alex,

There are plenty of domes about but what grabbed me was the juxtaposition of the cooker exhausts. It makes it VERY Parramatta to me.

Here is another for my Water Tower series but I have to go back and use a wider lens. I want more context and this is pretty much just a portrait.

Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:24 pm

I like the Dome Walter but the back alley shot draws me in heaps and I think it is the detail as Alex mentioned.

I went to Flickr to look at these also last night and saw the Water tower shot ( my fav out of the 3 ) , what a splendid structure it is with the fabulous arches.

I can't wait to see your wider take on it.

( I found it interesting how the shots look different ( on initial view ) on the two sites as Flickr has the Grey background compared to the Whiter background on this site, it played with my mind and gave me a differing feel for the contrast between the sites )

cheers eden
    I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
    LOZ
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by LOZ » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:00 pm

Never in a million years would I have picked you as a 450mm man . :?
    Calm down its not real life its a internet forum:)