NSFW - Another water Nymph
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

NSFW - Another water Nymph

by Busiboy » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:13 pm

I found the camera and dusted it off before christmas, it took me a few weeks to even pick the ones I liked.

Hope you enjoy.

ImageIMG_8981 by Scott Hartog, on Flickr

ImageIMG_9046 by Scott Hartog, on Flickr

ImageIMG_9059 by Scott Hartog, on Flickr

ImageIMG_8904 by Scott Hartog, on Flickr
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

Re: NSFW - Another water Nymph

by Doug » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:40 am

Nice set.
    The colours look a little cool for being unclothed.

Good to see you posting again.
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:06 am

great set Scott!

I find a symmetry and calm in the first shot that gives the whole image a very smooth feel.

how do you do your metering? to get such consistent skin/water and surrounds throughout the whole shoot or is some of that post processing.

I just find light around water so tricky,

any tips with the mental process you use with the in camera light /exposure process as you go from one shot to another with the changes of light source and water angle from it?

and

did you use a polariser?

cheers in advance :)
    I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by beeb » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:06 pm

Great to see you back Scott, I really like what you've done with this set, getting excellent posing from your model and combining it with some really complimentary (and not distracting) scenery (Overall compositional balance and pose of 4 is pretty much perfect for me!).

The one negative I notice, is the colours are a bit inconsistent shot-to-shot, and the individual shots could possibly use some tweaking with the HSL sliders to remove some lingering colour casts.

#2 is most noticeable, in that it is significantly more yellow/orange in tone than the others.

I had a play with #4, to see if I could remove the magenta cast from the model's skin, and the eternally aqua-shifted Canon "greens":

23113619444_1715f268e1_bb.jpg

Adjustments were as per below:
    23113619444_1715f268e1_bc.jpg

23113619444_1715f268e1_bd.jpg

The adjustments appear severe, but it's just because most of the image is fairly subtle in tone so they have to be pushed a lot to get minor changes in these cases. :wink: The general jist is make the purples and magentas closer to red then pull the saturation down a little, and make the aquas into the greens they've taken over from.
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:53 am

Eden wrote:great set Scott!

1 I find a symmetry and calm in the first shot that gives the whole image a very smooth feel.

2 how do you do your metering? to get such consistent skin/water and surrounds throughout the whole shoot or is some of that post processing.

3 I just find light around water so tricky,

4 any tips with the mental process you use with the in camera light /exposure process as you go from one shot to another with the changes of light source and water angle from it?

and

5 did you use a polariser?

cheers in advance :)

1 - Thanks, that is my favourite too, it was a pose and location I pushed a bit more for that shot after I saw it.
    2 - Mostly post, she has luminous skin, the sun was constantly in and out of shade, I set the exposure from her skin in camera and had to tweak in Post.
    3 - Amen
    4 - Sorry, lack of mental processes lol. First scouting try and find shade, I find with pale models you blow highlights and without shade and its just too hard, Scrims give a tough colour cast between model and background. 2nd was it was an over cast day which suited the locations and the water shots. If it hadn't been overcast I wouldn't have go the shots with her in the water I don't think, the light would have sucked badly. The creek shots are a shaded area so I might have gotten away with those.
    5 - nope. Shade was my friend that day.
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:56 am

beeb wrote:Great to see you back Scott, I really like what you've done with this set, getting excellent posing from your model and combining it with some really complimentary (and not distracting) scenery (Overall compositional balance and pose of 4 is pretty much perfect for me!).

The one negative I notice, is the colours are a bit inconsistent shot-to-shot, and the individual shots could possibly use some tweaking with the HSL sliders to remove some lingering colour casts.

#2 is most noticeable, in that it is significantly more yellow/orange in tone than the others.

I had a play with #4, to see if I could remove the magenta cast from the model's skin, and the eternally aqua-shifted Canon "greens":

The adjustments appear severe, but it's just because most of the image is fairly subtle in tone so they have to be pushed a lot to get minor changes in these cases. :wink: The general jist is make the purples and magentas closer to red then pull the saturation down a little, and make the aquas into the greens they've taken over from.

Thanks,

I'm noticing that my monitor needs calibrating badly, I'm editing on an old computer and between three monitors I get huge changes in colour.

The very 'golden' one was actually on purpose though.

As with the post of mine above, the light was all over the shop on the day with over cast / shade / sunnny etc.

I'll check out my screen calibration then have another look.
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:44 pm

Cheers for the explanation and I am so glad a heap was done post shooting. (makes me feel a little better)

reflected light from water plays havoc with me sometimes and it is good to see your chain of thought and process!

much appreciated!
    I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK