Rachael - my first Alt. Model
    JazzXP
    Cadet
    Cadet

Rachael - my first Alt. Model

by JazzXP » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:59 pm

My first alt. model I've shot. Shot on Hosier Lane in Melbourne's CBD during my (extended) lunch break on Tuesday.

A bit of an audience every now and again, plus I reckon we probably made the day of a few kids :shock:

Rachael Lee Perks by JazzXP, on Flickr

Nikon D5000 | Nikkor 18-55 | Nikkor 55-200 | Nikkor 50 f/1.4 | Tokina 12-24 f/4 | OLD Tamron 300mm (CT-300) | Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 VRII
    General Photography
    Glamour Photography
    heartyfisher
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by heartyfisher » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:02 am

Lots of things to like about this set.. the pink of the hair matching the pink on the walls is nice..

I think some eye contact would be nice.. also a close up could be good.
    Moments of Light : D7K D610 18-200 150 12-24 24-70 70-200 + C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.
    RichardW
    Reporter
    Reporter

by RichardW » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:57 am

Love the set and gear.
    Richard
    PPOK
    Canon D10, 350D, 5D and a few lenses

Profile and Images
    JazzXP
    Cadet
    Cadet

by JazzXP » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:23 am

heartyfisher wrote:Lots of things to like about this set.. the pink of the hair matching the pink on the walls is nice..

I think some eye contact would be nice.. also a close up could be good.

I'm currently going through the photos that the model has picked and funnily enough, she hasn't picked any with eye contact! I'll be editing some of my favourites after that some of which are close up and some with eye contact... watch this space :)

RichardW wrote:Love the set and gear.

Thanks, originally it was going to be more of a goth shoot, but she picked up some new lingerie the day before the shoot and wanted to shoot that. Originally I wasn't too sure about lingerie at the location we'd already picked, but when she showed up with the ripped stockings, I knew it was going to work well. The shoes were just the cream on top!
    Nikon D5000 | Nikkor 18-55 | Nikkor 55-200 | Nikkor 50 f/1.4 | Tokina 12-24 f/4 | OLD Tamron 300mm (CT-300) | Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 VRII
    General Photography
    Glamour Photography
    leek
    Reporter
    Reporter

by leek » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:35 pm

Looking good Sam. I love the first 2, but believe 3 would benefit from some straightening (but that's just me) and may become the best of the bunch...

I've only done a couple, but Alt-shoots can be a lot of fun... Keep practising :)
    Cheers,
    John
    RB | F! | dA | FB
  • gerry
    Cadet
    Cadet

by gerry » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:58 pm

concept is sound and model is perfect for it, however I think you need some more separation between the subject and the BG, particulary the graf. The graf is very brightly coloured and competes with teh model rather that compliments her.

I am not sure how to achieve teh separation, maybe move her away from teh way to get the BG a bit OOF? maybe use a strip softbox to concentrate the light on the model more?

Also choose the graf carefully, in the first, I keep gettign drawn to that phalic symbol on the dumpster :roll:

hth
    just coz its the internet does not mean you can act like a dick :)
    JazzXP
    Cadet
    Cadet

by JazzXP » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:14 pm

leek wrote:Looking good Sam. I love the first 2, but believe 3 would benefit from some straightening (but that's just me) and may become the best of the bunch...

I've only done a couple, but Alt-shoots can be a lot of fun... Keep practising :)

I was thinking of straightening it, but to do so would cut off her feet (or require a lot of cloning to fill things in. I didn't mind the angle too much so I left it for something a little different. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't, that's why we experiment :D

gerry wrote:concept is sound and model is perfect for it, however I think you need some more separation between the subject and the BG, particulary the graf. The graf is very brightly coloured and competes with teh model rather that compliments her.

I am not sure how to achieve teh separation, maybe move her away from teh way to get the BG a bit OOF? maybe use a strip softbox to concentrate the light on the model more?

Also choose the graf carefully, in the first, I keep gettign drawn to that phalic symbol on the dumpster :roll:

hth

Yeah, a bit of separation would be nice, but it's a fairly narrow allyway so not a lot of room to move (although the shots down the allyway may have worked). Don't have a stripbox of my own yet... on the ever growing shopping list!

It's quite funny because the graffiti isn't exactly what you think it is, and didn't notice it in the crop until after I uploaded it! Might go back and re-edit the file at some stage.
    General Photography
    Glamour Photography
    CraigVTR
    Reporter
    Reporter

by CraigVTR » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:59 am

gerry wrote:.....in the first, I keep gettign drawn to that phalic symbol on the dumpster :roll:
    hth

I did not notice until it was mentioned, but it is ironic that it fits to some degree with the concept of a grungy sexy lingerie shot.
    Regards
    Craig
    PPok Other pics in post OK
    So many forums, so little time.
  • tifkat

by tifkat » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:28 am

Showing my noob-e-ness here, but how do you end up being the photographer for any of the models you've shown since I joined the boards afew weeks ago?

I had thought they were from taking classes, but this shoot sounds more like you've arranged it yourself.

And what equipment did you actually have with you for this shoot?
    Dalzine
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Dalzine » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:53 pm

There are websites such as Model Mayhem that bring models and photographers together, usually for no fee, just a swap of photos for time.

There are also a number of places that offer classes where people can learn how to photograph models using lighting gear.

Dale.
    Will build websites for 'L' glass.
    JazzXP
    Cadet
    Cadet

by JazzXP » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:01 pm

Yeah, my latest stuff (St. Kilda beach shoots onwards) has been organised through Model Mayhem (put out a casting call and got a pretty good response, along with people just searching for Melbourne based photographers), the older stuff is just from workshops (mainly the ones run by Edward Hor and Dave Reid).

I'm doing a shoot on Monday that the model found me via my Facebook fan page (I tagged a mutual friend).
    General Photography
    Glamour Photography
    heartyfisher
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by heartyfisher » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:28 pm

Dalzine wrote:There are websites such as Model Mayhem that bring models and photographers together, usually for no fee, just a swap of photos for time.

There are also a number of places that offer classes where people can learn how to photograph models using lighting gear.

Dale.

Also if you ask Leek nicely he may organize a shoot.. Had fun the last time we went out with him! :-)
    Moments of Light : D7K D610 18-200 150 12-24 24-70 70-200 + C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:39 pm

Did you grab any shots with more of hte ink being featured? A nice tie into the background.
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
    JazzXP
    Cadet
    Cadet

by JazzXP » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:25 pm

Busiboy wrote:Did you grab any shots with more of hte ink being featured? A nice tie into the background.

Nah, didn't really get any of her ink, she was just dropping into poses so quickly I didn't even think of it and ran out of time (only had an hour to shoot). Something for the next shoot we do!
    General Photography
    Glamour Photography
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:13 pm

A good result regardless, always nice I think when your model/outfit/hair/everythign ties into the background a bit, keeps the theme going and makes it look like it should be there.
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott