Studio style stuff with Rachael (slightly NSFW)
    JazzXP
    Cadet
    Cadet

Studio style stuff with Rachael (slightly NSFW)

by JazzXP » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:12 am

So yep, I've come to the conclusion Rachael is my muse. She pushes me to get more creative and do better work, plus the fact we work really well together :)

So this time a studio style setup in my garage. 1/2 width seamless white roll (can't get 3/4 anywhere in Australia that I've found yet, would be perfect) - so a bit of post processing at the sides to fill in the white (plus all the normal glamour PP I do).

Lighting was a 70cm Beauty Dish to left (I really need to get a grid for it) and a 18cm reflector on the background, all fired with my Ranger RX.

Makeup was done by my lovely wife who finished her makeup course at the end of November - and yes, this is extremely handy!

I've got some very moody stuff to come where I only used a small gridded reflector, so have some nice deep shadows - so stuff that's a totally different style for me.

Rachael Ballon by JazzXP, on Flickr

Rachael Metallic Bikini by JazzXP, on Flickr

Rachael Electrical Tape by JazzXP, on Flickr
    Nikon D5000 | Nikkor 18-55 | Nikkor 55-200 | Nikkor 50 f/1.4 | Tokina 12-24 f/4 | OLD Tamron 300mm (CT-300) | Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 VRII
    General Photography
    Glamour Photography
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

Re: Studio style stuff with Rachael (slightly NSFW)

by W G » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:24 am

JazzXP wrote:(can't get 3/4 anywhere in Australia that I've found yet, would be perfect)

Sam,

Dragon Image have rolls of background fabric. I have been investigating the black (which is totally non-reflective) but I am sure they have white as well. They will cut it to whatever size you want.

Maybe look into a piece of PVC plumbing pipe as a core to roll it onto and keep the creases out.

On another point, you need to refine the posing. Turn the feet out or make them symmetrical or a feature if you are going to have the toes point towards the lens. In kneeling shots it is handy to bring the feet closer together so that part of the calf/shin can be seen rather than extraneous bits of clod-hopper appearing from the thighs.

To my way of thinking you either need more contrast in the lighting or less. The subtlety of a totally shadowless body lighting with just the neon hair being a bold point of reference could look good.

But then it is always your picture of course.

Cheers,

Cheers,
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi
    JazzXP
    Cadet
    Cadet

Re: Studio style stuff with Rachael (slightly NSFW)

by JazzXP » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:59 am

W G wrote:
    JazzXP wrote:(can't get 3/4 anywhere in Australia that I've found yet, would be perfect)

Sam,

Dragon Image have rolls of background fabric. I have been investigating the black (which is totally non-reflective) but I am sure they have white as well. They will cut it to whatever size you want.

Maybe look into a piece of PVC plumbing pipe as a core to roll it onto and keep the creases out.

On another point, you need to refine the posing. Turn the feet out or make them symmetrical or a feature if you are going to have the toes point towards the lens. In kneeling shots it is handy to bring the feet closer together so that part of the calf/shin can be seen rather than extraneous bits of clod-hopper appearing from the thighs.

To my way of thinking you either need more contrast in the lighting or less. The subtlety of a totally shadowless body lighting with just the neon hair being a bold point of reference could look good.

But then it is always your picture of course.

Cheers,

Cheers,

Thanks for your comments.

I have a white muslin backdrop I could use, but it gets so wrinkly that it's pretty much unusable for this style of pic (in particular on the ground), I like the idea of the PVC though, might have to try that.

Yeah, I need to work on those poses a bit. I did notice that, but I love everything else about the shots :)

As for lighting, the first two I was going for a big bright glam style lighting, but still wanted to maintain a little bit of shape. I want to get a grid for my BD so I can play around with those shadows a bit more. I'll just have to get Rachael back for another shoot, I'm sure she won't mind!

The bottom shot, yeah, needs a bit more shadow, but I do have some coming that are nothing but shadows, so will be interested to see your comments on those.
    Nikon D5000 | Nikkor 18-55 | Nikkor 55-200 | Nikkor 50 f/1.4 | Tokina 12-24 f/4 | OLD Tamron 300mm (CT-300) | Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 VRII
    General Photography
    Glamour Photography
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:16 pm

The dragon material is worth a look, it's not vinyl nor muslin, but something half decent in between. I have ome black stuff I've used which sucks up the light and takes folding, rolling and other bad things pretty well.

The PVC is a good idea as well if you have room
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
    JazzXP
    Cadet
    Cadet

by JazzXP » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:22 pm

Busiboy wrote:The PVC is a good idea as well if you have room

That's the problem lol, no room! That's the problem when both myself and the wife horde things!
    General Photography
    Glamour Photography
    JazzXP
    Cadet
    Cadet

by JazzXP » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:04 pm

Another one. This one is a very different style for me. I've also got some still to edit where the same light (small grided reflector) is coming from the side.

Rachael B&W by JazzXP, on Flickr
    General Photography
    Glamour Photography
    JazzXP
    Cadet
    Cadet

by JazzXP » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:25 pm

Another pic - straight out of camera with a touch of contrast and sharpening added only (along with the watermark of course)

Rachael bubbles by JazzXP, on Flickr

Insane trying to focus on those bubbles as they're moving!
    General Photography
    Glamour Photography
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:10 am

I like the bubbles, very cool shot, for mine the black and white doesn't fit, you have a shoot based on colour(pink?) and then you converted it to b&w where the impact is lost.

But I loooooove the bubbles
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
    JazzXP
    Cadet
    Cadet

by JazzXP » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:22 am

Busiboy wrote:I like the bubbles, very cool shot, for mine the black and white doesn't fit, you have a shoot based on colour(pink?) and then you converted it to b&w where the impact is lost.

But I loooooove the bubbles

That's actually what I like about the B&W. I've got hundreds of photos of Rachael, and they're all about the colour - this one is something totally different, from the lack of colour, to the lighting style :)

Thanks, it's funny with the bubbles. I nearly accidental focused on the bubbles with one shot then though "hey, maybe I should deliberately try that" and then went and got a couple :)
    General Photography
    Glamour Photography