I see your Anoush & raise you a Keira & Ayla
  • devpics

I see your Anoush & raise you a Keira & Ayla

by devpics » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:17 pm

Some of you have posted Anoush & Keira pics, here's a couple of mine, plus the delightful Ayla
    3 graces 1_2232aaksmal.jpg
    3 Graces-aak3smal.jpg
    Dug
    Senior Photojournalist
    Senior Photojournalist

Re: I see your Anoush & raise you a Keira & Ayla

by Dug » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:29 am

What are they shot on ?

There is a lot of noise or grain in the images

They are interesting shots but I am not a great fan of the very unstructured posing
    "Photography to the amateur is recreation, to the professional it is work, and hard work too, no matter how pleasurable it may be."

Edward Weston

( Total NIKON bigot )

PPOK
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by W G » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:10 am

The first shot works for me. It certainly echoes a lot of the 'nymphs of the woodland' sort of thing and the poses, gestures and expressions of the three models are in harmony with the sentiment of the shot.

The second I don't care for at all. Chances are they are both candids done after a more formal shot but that is the serendipity of what we do — sometimes you are the pigeon and other times you are the statue.

Who gives a flying frig what these were shot on? Whatever the artefacts, they form an integral part of the statement being made. I guess there are also imbeciles who'd be concerned with whether a shopping list was written in biro or fountain pen; on plain white paper or a ruled yellow post-it.

We see an inordinate amount of technically proficient and aesthetically challenged shit with great regularity here. Better to have made something as cohesive as the first rather than the cold stale porridge presented as masterworks we are so often subjected to.

Cheers,
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:58 am

They aren't shot, they're composites
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by W G » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:55 am

Why don't the images load every time? Are the files too big or does the server chuck a wobbly?

I need to see them again to inspect Scott's contention of a fabricated image.

Cheers,
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by W G » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:30 am

Well, eventually the images opened on here.

If the first pic is a composite then I have to say it is a masterful composite and Devpics is wasting time shooting when he could be cleaning up on post-procuction.

The lighting consistency and the points of contact don't look too fake to me.

Not that the second pic is necessarily a composite, just that the foreground excess walking protein is separate to the other two.

It is all just another example of how digital has stuffed the world and stuffed photography in particular.*

Cheers,

* to support my view I have just bought another 8x10 camera and a lens. Nikon? Canon? They are all crap.
    Walter Glover

ozjeeper
    Cadet
    Cadet

by ozjeeper » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:14 pm

Very Norman Lindsay...... 8)
    Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!
  • devpics

by devpics » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:16 pm

I was wondering when someone would notice they are a bit of pshop trickery. As Wal alludes to I was actually after a bit of the "3 Graces" look so I added Anoush to pics of Keira and Ayla, which had been taken at the same spot around the same time of day.
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by W G » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:40 pm

Yes, I see the slight chroma shift on Anoush but it was very well done.
    Walter Glover

Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:46 pm

The foliage in the first appears from nowhere in places.

Very well done, I was impressed with the blending but thought it was in between a blended composite and a "straight shot"

More trickery is required on this one, but it is a fine line.
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
  • Nitnat

by Nitnat » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:52 pm

I don't get it.

I rarely post here and am usually 99.99% of the time amazed at the level of critique offered by the more experienced. Not the amount, of intensity of the critique, But the trained eye of the gifted and talented people that regularly peruse this forum.

If you didn't know it was 'photoshopped' within a few seconds, than I suggest buying a better monitor. Rather than continue viewing these images on the potato that you are currently using.

From a total rube RE images themselves. Not a fan, I believe the additions have subtracted from the context.