It's been a while ..... NSFW
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

It's been a while ..... NSFW

by W G » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:37 am

Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Re: It's been a while ..... NSFW

by Eden » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:49 pm

Your two captures are great as usual but the second shot (being my preference for your theme (as I see your theme)) has me distracted with the blurry bend in the back.

It is not that big of a distraction apart from me looking into your captures in detail every time (that is how I learn and there is no malice intended and to the contrary I revel in the detail you give)

I just want to know if it was intentional as I can see little or no reason for it, DOF is clear forward and back of it, could it be the lighting and the blowing out creating a blur in the skin line.

tattoo removal maybe? (its a joke Joyce)

I always find this style of your photography very complimentary and intriguing and reckon your clients get a great piece of art to cherish!

Cheers Eden
    I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by W G » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:40 am

Eagle-eyed Eden,

You spotted a remnant of some excessively hasty and clumsy retouching. Nothing more, nothing less.

I don't like the shot anyway but a number of folk have expressed that they do so I left it on Flickr and here.

Slap over the wrist for me and write out 150 times, "I must not do anything to change an image on a computer that I could not do under an enlarger.

Did I ever mention how I loathe, detest and abhor all things digital? Maybe I did.

Cheers,
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:15 am

Digital editing Walter, tisk tisk :wink:
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by W G » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:08 am

As the title suggests, it had been a while since I had pointed a shiny lens at an expanse of exposed epidermis and a slight fold in the model's skin at the point of bending slipped through the net.

Knowing that I had too much blur on the brush I used with too much haste and too little time I thought I'd go back and have a crack at fixing it. But when I saw the shot in all its gigantic TIFF glory I looked at the expression and was even less happy with it so I thought, 'Why bother'. Sorry Eden, the blur is there to stay ion that shot.

And you're right Doug (tisk, tisk), all digital is anathema to me - especially retouching. I just sit and lament that the enlargers are in the garage and likely not to be reactivated any time soon.
    Walter Glover

Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Plays with Light » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:03 am

I (with absolutely zero knowledge of portraiture) love the pose in the first image, Walter! There's a tension and contracted sense of movement which is intriguing to me. Lovely!

Digital manipulation! What in the name of Dickens is going on Walter! :wink:
    Feedback and honest, constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by W G » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:40 am

Well, here are a couple more without bloody digital retouching ....

Walter Glover

• W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by W G » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:36 am

And still they come .....

Walter Glover

Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:11 pm

Love the last Walter, she must be a dream to work with.
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by W G » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:12 am

Thanks Scott,

She is indeed a delight as a person and as a model (muse). We've got together each time she has visited and it is always productive and leasurable.
    Walter Glover

GeoffM
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by GeoffM » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:18 pm

Great stuff Walter.

As you have posted in the critique area, I feel that some are a little too tight in the frame but that's just a minor niggle and just a few words to offer a bit of critique rather than just saying well done!
    Fuji | X-Pro1 | XE-1 | XT-1 | XF14 | XF23 | XF27 | XF35 | XF56 | XF60 | XF10-24 | XF18-55 | XF55-200 | MCEX-11

http://gmarshall.zenfolio.com
    http://xtographer.weebly.com