Adelaide Gaol
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

Adelaide Gaol

by Doug » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:25 am

What to do on an overcast Sunday afternoon?
    I know I'll have a look at the old Adelaide gaol

This was a few weeks ago, I have just got around to doing the editing.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Some history, as lifted from their web site:
    The Adelaide Gaol was built in 1841 and housed approximately 300,000 prisoners during its 147 years of operation. The Gaol was closed in 1988 and is known as the longest continuously operating prison in Australia.

The Gaol is one of the two oldest remaining buildings in South Australia. The other is Government House which was built at the same time as the Gaol.

Executions.
    A total of 45 executions were performed in the Adelaide Gaol.

Initially, executions were public and were held in front of the Gaol buildings. Up to 2,000 people attended a public hanging.

An act of Parliament in 1861 abolished public hangings resulting in a portable gallows being constructed in the north west laneway. This gallows was packed up and stored after each execution.

In 1888 a permanent gallows was incorporated in the upper level of A Wing in the New Building. This gallows was in use until 1950 when one of the "lookout towers" was converted and became the "Hanging Tower".

The last hanging in South Australia was in 1964.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Needless to say the place has a curtain atmosphere, which I hope I have captured some of here in these pictures.

Welcome to H. M. Gaol Adelaide

Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

Re: Adelaide Gaol

by Doug » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:27 am

Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:29 am

Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:33 am

Even after execution a prisoner never left the walls.
    Grave plots are in the no mans land between the inner court yard walls and the main outer wall.

Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:48 am

Sensational stuff Doug

Im going to have a good look at them later but that one with the green showing in the keyhole is a ripper

love them and the little bit of history

(I remember being in one of the cells where there is no light at all, not one hint of it, scary stuff)

eden
    I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:24 am

(I remember being in one of the cells where there is no light at all, not one hint of it, scary stuff)

I saw some cells like that.
    Again from the web site:

"As late as 1988, when the Gaol closed, two cells in A Wing of the 'New Building' were used for solitary confinement. They were set up with an additional sound proof door to accommodate violent and substance affected prisoners. These cells were called the 'Fridges' because of their refrigerator like door handles and because they were cold, dark and airless."

I wondered round the place for about an hour and a half, I must say the people who built the place out did themselves in the sapping the human spirit department.
  • Simsy
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Simsy » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:36 am

If your ever out in the lower flinders there is another Gaol in Gladstone that is well worth a visit. I don't know if thy still do it but you used to be able to stay the night in the cells if you wanted to. Although they never tried any of the ghost story's stuff when we were there I found it far more spooky that the Adelaide Gaol.

PS there are some nice shots in that lot Doug
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by W G » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:42 am

A well conceived and well executed glimpse into another place in another time.

You might be surprised to hear, Doug, that to me the series actually tells me more about YOU than about the gaol in many ways. I have seen the same thing in my own adventures — particularly abroad.

I'd be curious to see what you'd come up with on a subsequent visit once the factor of discovery has dissipated a tad.

The inclusion of the colour shot is a bit jarring to me in terms of an editorial spread but I realise your dilemma because the narrative significance is thwarted if the key hole vists is just featureless light grey.

Keep up the good work. Your offerings are one of the highlights of the digitalslr experience.

Regards,
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:00 pm

Thanks Walter

I'd be curious to see what you'd come up with on a subsequent visit once the factor of discovery has dissipated a tad.

It would be interesting to go again after absorbing the impressions from this first visit.

Some of these shots just give the lay of the land, and are not that removed from the ones on the brochure now that I have looked at it for back story.

It is a many faceted subject that of incarceration. All those executed took a life, and often in brutal fashion,
    But it is hard to imagine the emotional scaring of this place fitted the crimes of all 300,000 prisoners up until 1988.

Some of the themes I would like to explore more deeply,

The inclusion of the colour shot is a bit jarring to me in terms of an editorial spread but I realise your dilemma because the narrative significance is thwarted if the key hole vists is just featureless light grey.

The only way I can think to help with that would be to book end the set with the entrance which is taken from the outside, also being in colour.
    The other level I think the final picture works on is that it is the end of the set but it is the one that shows that you cannot leave.
    I did for a moment consider a b+w with green in it but it seemed a heavy handed tacky approach to a poignant message.
    GeoffM
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by GeoffM » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:15 pm

Eden wrote:
    I remember being in one of the cells where there is no light at all, not one hint of it, scary stuff

eden

You must have been a bad boy, how did you manage to escape!

Great series Doug. I notice MM was executed on Christmas Eve..... that's not very christian.
    Fuji | X-Pro1 | XE-1 | XT-1 | XF14 | XF23 | XF27 | XF35 | XF56 | XF60 | XF10-24 | XF18-55 | XF55-200 | MCEX-11

http://gmarshall.zenfolio.com
    http://xtographer.weebly.com
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:38 pm

I notice MM was executed on Christmas Eve..... that's not very christian.

I did not notice that.

E W with the flowers is the only female executed.
    She poisoned her husband.