The new Adelaide Showground railway station
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

The new Adelaide Showground railway station

by Plays with Light » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:14 pm

Looks like Doug and I were on a similar wavelength the other day. I was intended to go capture this thing on Thursday, but other things happened, so I got there last night, leaving home at almost the exact moment that Doug posted his picture of the old Goodwood Road rail underpass.

I'll say that I am really surprised that some smarmy architect would even have the balls to copycat a well known and existing footbridge in Europe that links two buildings over a road, with this twisted footbridge. I was also really surprised at the really low quality workmanship on this place, the architects must be having major dummy spits that there are not the nice straight lines where the design intended them and the lack of symmetry to things that are pivotal in a visual manner, etc... Are the greatest majority of builders meth-heads these days, that just don't give a shit?

I was also seriously let down with the overall lack of good design of this place. If this is the best that a big name architectural firm can come up with for a bridge that is supposed to suggest "fun" being associated with and for the showgrounds, I don't know what to think. There are commemorative panes of screen-printed glass at either end of the footbridge crossover with a patheticly designed memorial thrown together hastily on a computer (as Doug mentioned in his post). No class here, even when the lights get switched on permanently for the exterior, it's not going to make it any better. I would go as far as seeing it in the same light as a street-whore hastily applying her make up with no mirror handy.

None-the-less, I found it a challenge to try and photograph it in a positive light.

Starting down on the Southern end of the main platform and ending up North of the whole thing looking back at it.

Showground Station 01 by playswithlight, on Flickr

Showground Station 02 by playswithlight, on Flickr

Showground Station 03 by playswithlight, on Flickr

Showground Station 04 by playswithlight, on Flickr

Showground Station 05 by playswithlight, on Flickr

Showground Station 06 by playswithlight, on Flickr

Showground Station 07 by playswithlight, on Flickr
    Feedback and honest, constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

Re: The new Adelaide Showground railway station

by W G » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:03 pm

Alex,

You've explored well and revealed that, once again, these public works come down to nothing more than bread and circuses.

I've never been there and I probably will never go there, but it is piss poor service to the local community.
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Plays with Light » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:57 pm

Update:

Found the original bridge this is pretty well a ripoff of. Connecting the Royal Ballet School to the Royal Opera House in Covent Garden, London. I wonder if they bothered seeking out permission to copy the design?

Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:50 pm

Are the greatest majority of builders meth-heads these days, that just don't give a shit?

Its not the builders.
    An engineer has drawn every last detail of this in 3D CAD software and I cannot imagine the architects not being
    amongst those asked to sign off on it.

The manufacturers feed info from the CAD files into tube benders, CNC lazer or water jet cutters, then weld up sub assembles.
    The builders just put it together on site.
    Done right it all goes together to the millimeter and in that respect I had to admire how the bolted flanges you see in picture four with their compound angles all fit together so well.

I have to marvel more so that the design and construction of the Sydney opera house was tackled before any of this existed.

Perhaps in the case of this railway structure no one cares cos they all got payed.
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Plays with Light » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:48 am

Doug wrote:
    Are the greatest majority of builders meth-heads these days, that just don't give a shit?

Its not the builders.

Actually, the flaws I was referring to were the fault of the builders on site, not the engineers or architects or the poor CAD operator. I had a good chat to one of the foremen about it. The railings on the main staircase being out of balance and also much further from the posts than was initially intended, occurred because someone couldn't read a diagram and went visually with their placement of the safety treads at the base of the staircase. Once those slabs were cemented in, the handrails had to be adapted much wider on both sides at the bottom, now only allowing one and a half people to pass on the left side, because it sticks out some 300mm into the stairs. In the crossover section up above, the joiner sections on the sides have been welded in place with no forethought to the straight lines they are supposed to carry in the design, again a fault on the site, not the manufacturing. I was amazed they were not incorporated at the factory, but apparently they may have flexed too much in transit, so were done on site. Some of the lines are almost straight and with others, once the welding in place started wonky, it remained and continued that way, with nobody picking it up or taking responsibility for it!
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:23 pm

Oh ok.
    Like you, I would have assumed the whole shape was made off site so nothing was left to chance.
    So the section in the middle that joins the lift to the stairway is supposed to be a continuation of the twist and the over head strip of lights is not supposed to have that straight kink in it.
    I did not notice the stairs , though I did not go down the centre platform island ones.

If you look at the picture I posted of this foot bridge on the other thread, on the left end the twist starts immediately with the ramp going into the twist, but at the other end the ramp goes into a straight box section then there is another straight box section after that,
    It would make more aesthetic sense if that second straight box section was at the start of the other end, surely they did not botch that as well, it would explain things not meeting in the middle.
    It does not align with what you were told about the middle being fabricated on site was intentional.

It would explain if the twists started off centre they will not meet correctly in the middle, maybe there was a middle section but they had to throw it away and dodge up a custom section.
    Well that is my conspiracy theory and I'm sticking to it. :)

PS I see what you mean about the railing in picture three, what a joke.
    I can't believe that is the best solution they think they can come up with.
    You should sent that to the paper like Simsy, get a fee though, that is news.
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Plays with Light » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:54 pm

Doug wrote:Oh ok.
    Like you, I would have assumed the whole shape was made off site so nothing was left to chance.
    So the section in the middle that joins the lift to the stairway is supposed to be a continuation of the twist and the over head strip of lights is not supposed to have that straight kink in it.
    I did not notice the stairs , though I did not go down the centre platform island ones.

If you look at the picture I posted of this foot bridge on the other thread, on the left end the twist starts immediately with the ramp going into the twist, but at the other end the ramp goes into a straight box section then there is another straight box section after that,
    It would make more aesthetic sense if that second straight box section was at the start of the other end, surely they did not botch that as well, it would explain things not meeting in the middle.
    It does not align with what you were told about the middle being fabricated on site was intentional.

It would explain if the twists started off centre they will not meet correctly in the middle, maybe there was a middle section but they had to throw it away and dodge up a custom section.
    Well that is my conspiracy theory and I'm sticking to it. :)

PS I see what you mean about the railing in picture three, what a joke.
    I can't believe that is the best solution they think they can come up with.
    You should sent that to the paper like Simsy, get a fee though, that is news.

It's a bit difficult to explain in writing, indicating with a laser pointer is so much easier. Basically, it was transported as two twisty segments and assembled on site, being attached to the central lift section and the ends.

The bits I was referring to being out of alignment are the finer straps that the covering mesh and plastic is attached to. There's a few of them that follow the twist of the thing nicely and then there's all the others that have segments going up and down all over the place. Those bits were attached on site.

The overall off-kilter balance, with the extra bits on the right, I have no idea if that was a part of the master-plan or not, but it certainly doesn't work, visually.