I click, therefore, I am...
  • User avatar
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter
    Posts: 1355
    Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:34 pm
    Location: Lost In Thought
    Contact:

    I click, therefore, I am...

    by Plays with Light » Sun May 25, 2014 6:36 pm

    After reading the two essays that Walter linked to for us earlier today, I've tried to add more thought to them, but I just can't get into that headspace to pontificate my navel in a photographic manner. I do what I do and that's really all there is to it for me, sorry to say, Walter. There's nothing earth-shattering or deep to what I do, I play, I explore a little and I share, probably too much, it's that simple. Sometimes I document, sometimes I interpret and I have no need or desire to remain in any one confine in this regard.

    Nonetheless, it inspired me to go and see how I see the garden at the moment. Which in and of itself was an interesting exercise, armed with a cheap-as macro lens and even cheaper speedlite.

    Image

    Image

    Image

    Image

    Image

    Image

    Image

    Image

    Image

    Image

    Image
    Feedback and honest, constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow
    Posts: 1815
    Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:44 pm
    Contact:

    Re: I click, therefore, I am...

    by beeb » Sun May 25, 2014 7:02 pm

    Absolutely nailed the tones in these mate!

    1, 2, 5, 6 and 7 for me. DOF control is great.
  • User avatar
    DJT
    Reporter
    Reporter
    Posts: 1412
    Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:07 pm
    Location: Werrington
    Contact:

    Re: I click, therefore, I am...

    by DJT » Sun May 25, 2014 9:26 pm

    A few of these have moved me, I'll have to have a bit longer look to see if I can put it onto words
    David
  • User avatar
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin
    Posts: 1431
    Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:26 pm
    Location: Adelaide
    Contact:

    Re: I click, therefore, I am...

    by Eden » Sun May 25, 2014 10:30 pm

    some stunning shots there Alex.

    I especially like the framing or perspective of the flower bud and the water feature shot but they are all very nice on my eyes.
    I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    Kurt Vonnegut

    PPOK
  • User avatar
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter
    Posts: 1355
    Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:34 pm
    Location: Lost In Thought
    Contact:

    Re: I click, therefore, I am...

    by Plays with Light » Sun May 25, 2014 10:37 pm

    beeb wrote:Absolutely nailed the tones in these mate!

    1, 2, 5, 6 and 7 for me. DOF control is great.


    Thanks, Tim, all treatment was in Lightroom, with no plugins.
    Feedback and honest, constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.
  • User avatar
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter
    Posts: 1355
    Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:34 pm
    Location: Lost In Thought
    Contact:

    Re: I click, therefore, I am...

    by Plays with Light » Sun May 25, 2014 10:38 pm

    DJT wrote:A few of these have moved me, I'll have to have a bit longer look to see if I can put it onto words


    Hopefully in a good way, David!
    Feedback and honest, constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.
  • User avatar
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter
    Posts: 1355
    Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:34 pm
    Location: Lost In Thought
    Contact:

    Re: I click, therefore, I am...

    by Plays with Light » Sun May 25, 2014 10:42 pm

    Eden wrote:some stunning shots there Alex.

    I especially like the framing or perspective of the flower bud and the water feature shot but they are all very nice on my eyes.


    Thanks, Eden. There are some hits and misses in amongst them for me. The last one of the spider is a tiny little thing, about 6mm in length, it was hard to keep the bugger in focus with it blowing around in the breeze... This was an exercise to try and capture the yard as it feels right now, but in B&W only.
    Feedback and honest, constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist
    Posts: 2125
    Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:25 am
    Location: Sydney
    Contact:

    Re: I click, therefore, I am...

    by W G » Mon May 26, 2014 8:48 am

    Plays with Light wrote:After reading the two essays that Walter linked to for us earlier today, I've tried to add more thought to them, but I just can't get into that headspace to pontificate my navel in a photographic manner. I do what I do and that's really all there is to it for me, sorry to say, Walter. There's nothing earth-shattering or deep to what I do, I play, I explore a little and I share, probably too much, it's that simple. Sometimes I document, sometimes I interpret and I have no need or desire to remain in any one confine in this regard.

    Nonetheless, it inspired me to go and see how I see the garden at the moment. Which in and of itself was an interesting exercise, armed with a cheap-as macro lens and even cheaper speedlite.


    Alex,

    My take on it is that you are doing exactly what the essays suggest. Maybe it confused you a tad??
    Walter Glover

    "Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi
  • User avatar
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter
    Posts: 1355
    Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:34 pm
    Location: Lost In Thought
    Contact:

    Re: I click, therefore, I am...

    by Plays with Light » Mon May 26, 2014 9:02 am

    W G wrote:Alex,

    My take on it is that you are doing exactly what the essays suggest. Maybe it confused you a tad??


    Indubitably, good sir! It happens when I read anything that's remotely scholarly... :oops:
    Feedback and honest, constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.
  • User avatar
    DJT
    Reporter
    Reporter
    Posts: 1412
    Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:07 pm
    Location: Werrington
    Contact:

    Re: I click, therefore, I am...

    by DJT » Mon May 26, 2014 9:50 am

    Plays with Light wrote:Hopefully in a good way, David!


    Yep, All good.
    I think it is the lack of colour that pleases me with these.
    I have attempted many a photo in the garden in colour & very few keep my attention, but these B&W versions :grrpsycho:
    I think colour gardens are too distracting, these are pure subject & that is what I think is pleasing (moving in a good way) me.
    David
  • User avatar
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter
    Posts: 1355
    Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:34 pm
    Location: Lost In Thought
    Contact:

    Re: I click, therefore, I am...

    by Plays with Light » Mon May 26, 2014 10:59 am

    DJT wrote:Yep, All good.
    I think it is the lack of colour that pleases me with these.
    I have attempted many a photo in the garden in colour & very few keep my attention, but these B&W versions :grrpsycho:
    I think colour gardens are too distracting, these are pure subject & that is what I think is pleasing (moving in a good way) me.


    Cool. I found this an interesting exercise, thinking mindfully about what I could achieve with black and white solely. It led me to approach things differently, really paying attention to light and form. It also got me using the speedlite differently, which was challenging, with it in one hand and the camera in the other. I even pulled out a tight snoot to play with on a few of these, which surprisingly worked a treat! I highly recommend it and look forward to seeing others explorations.
    Feedback and honest, constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow
    Posts: 1815
    Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:44 pm
    Contact:

    Re: I click, therefore, I am...

    by beeb » Mon May 26, 2014 6:39 pm

    Plays with Light wrote:...I found this an interesting exercise, thinking mindfully about what I could achieve with black and white solely. It led me to approach things differently, really paying attention to light and form. It also got me using the speedlite differently, which was challenging, with it in one hand and the camera in the other...


    Having briefly experimented with B&W macros in the past, I was doubly impressed with your efforts. You've made it look much easier than it really is!
  • User avatar
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter
    Posts: 1831
    Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:49 pm
    Location: Adelaide
    Contact:

    Re: I click, therefore, I am...

    by Doug » Mon May 26, 2014 9:56 pm

    Fascinating details in these.
    I think B+W takes the unfamiliar of the very small one step further than colour.
    Picks for my short list would be the delicate detail and translucence of #2 and how DOF in #6 is a feature of the shot.
  • User avatar
    ion_mihaila
    Member
    Member
    Posts: 89
    Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 5:56 pm
    Location: North Parramatta - Sydney
    Contact:

    Re: I click, therefore, I am...

    by ion_mihaila » Tue May 27, 2014 1:31 pm

    #4 and #6 remind me of "The Wall" - the Pink Floyd movie.

    Really nice captures and great processing.
    C & C , PPOK welcome
  • User avatar
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter
    Posts: 1355
    Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:34 pm
    Location: Lost In Thought
    Contact:

    Re: I click, therefore, I am...

    by Plays with Light » Tue May 27, 2014 3:34 pm

    Doug wrote:Fascinating details in these.
    I think B+W takes the unfamiliar of the very small one step further than colour.


    I have to agree with you, it is all about form and light now, without the distraction of colour. I'm sure that I will find some images in my macro explorations that will be the exception to that rule though, where the colour is the thing that makes you take a deep breath in awe.
    Feedback and honest, constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest