cheap phone lenses
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

cheap phone lenses

by Eden » Tue May 27, 2014 8:35 pm

I went to a hotel live performance "Zep Boys"

I wanted to take the camera but there was a firm no camera policy ( phones seem to slip through though! )

so I took my cheap box of $60 Ebay lenses with me to steal a couple of shots hopefully!

this box of lenses includes

--2x magnifier
    --semi wide/macro 2 part lens (unscrew the wide and it become a macro)
    --fish eye
    --12x telephoto (this lens screws into the phone specific case "provided" with a "tripod" and "threaded lens ring" to suit ! )

the first three work in a "glorified clothes peg" that holds them to the camera lens hole that is very simple and effective.

I was located 26m from the edge of the stage and pretty much stuck there the night.

holding the "zoom on the phone" up high nearly all the shots were hand held with the aid of a pole as a support/rest

here is the vantage point ( with the fish eye ) I should have taken one with just the phone for comparison but honestly did not expect to get any keepers out of the crowded, low light surrounds , especially with a phone camera and cheapie lenses!

here is the kit !

Image20140527_174306 by MrStinkybait, on Flickr

first the vantage point @ 26m from stage and standing room only!!!!!

Imagezepboys0514 (7) by MrStinkybait, on Flickr

here is the distance for the last two shots (4m - 6m closer) shot earlier

Imagezepboys0514 (5) by MrStinkybait, on Flickr

Then a few shots whilst holding my breath and shooting between heart beats. ( It is a lot of zoom on a weightless phone so I could see my pulse shake the screen and a good 55-60% of my shots had movement )

Imagezepboys0514 (43) - Copy by MrStinkybait, on Flickr

Imagezepboys0514 (34) by MrStinkybait, on Flickr

Imagezepboys0514 (17) by MrStinkybait, on Flickr

Imagezepboys0514 (13) by MrStinkybait, on Flickr

I got a little closer ( another 3-4m ) for a few more hand held hit/misses

Imagezepboys0514 (32) by MrStinkybait, on Flickr

Imagezepboys0514 (61) by MrStinkybait, on Flickr

We were on the back wall as you can see with my lovely Annie sitting on (standing shhhhh :roll: ) a booth seat having a great time !!!!!!!!!!!

Imagezepboys0514 (64) by MrStinkybait, on Flickr

I will post more work from these lenses as they were great value to me on that night and have better quality than I thought I would get.

As far as I am concerned I got my $64 worth (postage included) on the first night and have used the fisheye on my kitchen installs and saved me the cost of a """"ultra zoom""" for the DSLR.

Im tickled pink and hope some of this may be informational to others

As I said I will post more soon on the other lenses that it came with (and they are fun!)

cheers eden
    I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
    DJT
    Reporter
    Reporter

Re: cheap phone lenses

by DJT » Tue May 27, 2014 9:54 pm

:shock: 8) :)
    David
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by beeb » Wed May 28, 2014 10:53 am

That's actually really bloody impressive. Never would've picked it'd come from a phone if you hadn't said. Cool shots too, like the telephoto shots best.
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Plays with Light » Wed May 28, 2014 11:42 pm

I'll echo Tims "bloody impressive!" That's damn good value for money. I can't use them, my phone is in a Lunatik case, that's everything proof and adds some serious distance from the lens to the outside of the case. I hope you still managed to enjoy the set? Looks like Annie did! She's taller than I remembered when sitting down... :wink:
    Feedback and honest, constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.