Turon River and Woolshed flats
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Turon River and Woolshed flats

by Busiboy » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:12 am

Went camping over the weekend, it was cold, it was great.

A few from the trip. As usual a morning drive with the young guy while Mum had a rest.

This one is Not for Crit, camera shake was pretty bad, but this was our view on a saturday night in a free camping national park. Not too bad huh.

ImageWombat flats at night by Shottonsite, on Flickr

One of the many river crossings in and out, maybe why it was so quiet :D

ImageTuron River by Shottonsite, on Flickr

Did I say it was cold

ImageTuron Firetrail by Shottonsite, on Flickr

Gradually the sun started getting through

ImageTuron Morning by Shottonsite, on Flickr

ImageTuron River by Shottonsite, on Flickr

ImageTuron River Mornings by Shottonsite, on Flickr

But it was still cold

ImageWombat Flats cold by Shottonsite, on Flickr
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

Re: Turon River and Wombat flats

by beeb » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:23 pm

Looks like a great spot to go touring Scott.

I was thinking you were a little brave with those water crossings, then I spotted what looks to be a snorkel in the last shot and started breathing a bit easier (no pun intended!).

#5's a beaut, love the mist. And I'm tipping #3 only hints at how cold it would've really been! :lol: Did the young bloke head along with you?
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:54 pm

I thought you'd be interested in these ones.

Water crossings were shallow and pretty easy, I dragged the camper through them without any issues.

It was a dry night, so you are right, number 3 does it no justice, it was well below zero. We have a small deisel heater in the camper so it's more tolerable with Eli and not having to worry about him being cold and getting sick.

There were a lot of water crossings. Mud holes, river crossings, rocky hill climbs, a lot of fun with a camper.
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by beeb » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:03 pm

Busiboy wrote:There were a lot of water crossings. Mud holes, river crossings, rocky hill climbs, a lot of fun...

Yep, Sounds like fun to me! :D

Busiboy wrote:I thought you'd be interested in these ones.

Water crossings were shallow and pretty easy, I dragged the camper through them without any issues.

It was a dry night, so you are right, number 3 does it no justice, it was well below zero. We have a small deisel heater in the camper so it's more tolerable with Eli and not having to worry about him being cold and getting sick.

I am starting to tire of squeezing myself into "the coffin" (the swag) when I head out with my mates, especially as the weather gets colders. I'm aiming to change over to a larger vehicle by the time the year's out, and a small camper may be just the ticket. Sounds like the way to go that's for sure. :)
    DJT
    Reporter
    Reporter

by DJT » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:58 pm

Insert very jealous symbol.
    It looks very cold :wink:
    I took the big kids down to Wombeyan Caves a few years back on this same weekend & guess what - it was cold.
    Loving the mist on the water shots.

My next non camera investment is a roof pod so I can get away for the odd night or 2 camping again :D , just not enough room in the Tucson to do it comfortably :( .
    David
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:03 am

Brrrr, it looks very fresh in the shade indeed.

Nice clear night for the first shot though.
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

Re: Turon River and Woolshed flats

by Plays with Light » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:55 pm

Too cold for me! Looks like lovely country though!
    Feedback and honest, constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:39 pm

beeb wrote:I am starting to tire of squeezing myself into "the coffin" (the swag) when I head out with my mates, especially as the weather gets colders. I'm aiming to change over to a larger vehicle by the time the year's out, and a small camper may be just the ticket. Sounds like the way to go that's for sure. :)

Its like photography, there's always something else to buy, something else to get to make it better.

I've been thinking about a swag ;)

Seriously though, if it were just me, it'd be a jet swag or something similar, a small kitchen setup in the back of the ute with a simple butane cooker and a few basics.

Once you go big you are limited in you camping locations (if you like remote stuff) and its bigger, more expensive more complicated to set up pack up, maintain etc.

Sometimes the basics are good.
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:56 pm

I dont know if this is your sort of thing but I have one of these and love it! (it is called a Kamprite - Oversize Tent Cot and they have a smaller and larger version, the larger being the double)

I dont think the smaller ( original ) would be comfortable and I would have loved the Double but found mine (oversize) second hand "as new" and that was too good to pass up.

It takes 2 mins (literally) to erect and 2 mins to put away.

here is a link to a video showing it being erected and as it shows it can be used as an old style banana lounge chair not that I have used it for that though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X_sGB2NraY

when folded in its bag it is approx 85cm x 85cm square and 10 -15cm thick and comes with an inbuilt 20mm high density mattress/matt but I still throw another in it under the sleeping bag that leaves it quite cosy and roomy

When lying in it there is still another 40cm roughly by its 82 cm width to put gear in after your pillow.

I have been in it overnight with pelting rain and the fly did not let any water in.

and my favourite part is it is off the cold ground!
    Last edited by Eden on Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:03 pm

that would be my single man setup, with a wife and young boy (plus another on the way) No chance of that flying these days, it might get an annual boys trip use but that would be it.

Sticking with the camper van for now.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=jayc ... =_&imgrc=_

that's my current set up, quite good for my tribe and still agile enough to get into the rougher and more remote tracks and locations.
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:14 pm

your setup is a good one , the company I am doing some work for rents 6 of the EXPANDAS in the Jayco range and they fare up well in regards to wear and tear.

I would be lucky to get Annie or Ebony into anything without a shower or toilet these days if I were able to get them camping any more so it is as you say just for me.

:)
    I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by beeb » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:28 pm

I don't mind the swag as such, it's just that it is a "single" swag, so it really is like trying to sleep in a coffin. While it is essentially (remarkably) watertight, things that press up against the ends overnight can soak water through if the conditions are damp out. Unfortunately for me a my 6-foot + build, that happens often. I will look at something like you guys are showing there (to get a bit of a more even base by being elevated off the ground), but in a "double" sizing, so there's a bit more room to change clothes and such (have been caught in the rain trying to change clothes in the single swag, and it'd be an excellent training session for any aspiring contortionists! :mrgreen: ).

And Scott, I'm not talking about going huge - but pretty much any other 4WD on the market is a lot bigger than a Suzuki Sierra! :lol: Just want something with room for a fridge and a proper dual-battery setup. Other than those few things, the bachelor style-camping life suits me fine. :wink: - A camper trailer would be a bit more long term, but nice once I have a "few more miles on the odometer" and the achey bones need a bit more panmpering, lol.
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:57 pm

There are a lot of options these days, the size of the car isn't an issue, it's the trailer that really changes things, although a cheap hardfloor would be a good set up with room and easy to set up.
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:57 pm

Oh and I want to do a high country trip, so maybe that's a meet up for down the track :D
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by beeb » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:31 pm

Busiboy wrote:Oh and I want to do a high country trip, so maybe that's a meet up for down the track :D

That'd work. Let me know when you're looking to head down and we'll see if we can tee something up. Plenty to explore around there!