Four Wheel Driving Outing in Wombat State Forest (Vic)
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

Four Wheel Driving Outing in Wombat State Forest (Vic)

by beeb » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:05 pm

A few shots from today's 4WD outing with a few mates

The Glamour shots to start:

And then a couple of action shots:

And then handed the camera off to a mate to grab a (few) shot(s) of my Sierra in action, this was the pick of the bunch. That rut behind me was deeper on one side than the 31" tyres I'm running on the car at the moment!

Other than that we were just exploring and looking for new tracks (and had to winch one of the lads up a slippery climb too), so didn't get a chance to grab the camera out again for a bit more variety.

All in all, a good fun day. :)
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

Re: Four Wheel Driving Outing in Wombat State Forest (Vic)

by Doug » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:38 pm

Looks like a fun time wallowing in the mud.
    Very picturesque place to do it in also.
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by beeb » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:20 pm

Doug wrote:Looks like a fun time wallowing in the mud.
    Very picturesque place to do it in also.

Yeah lots of fun Doug, and just nice to get out of the house again too!

That bit is quite picturesque, but while the rest of it is very pleasant while you're there - it's a really tricky spot to get interesting pictures. You can normally see a long way, through fairly open forest, so it's tricky to get any perspective/depth/points of interest in the picture. I guess 4WDs splashing through bogholes is one way to liven a shot up though! :lol:

Cheers mate. :)
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Plays with Light » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:08 pm

Really picturesque environment, a great place to get away from the house to unwind and play!

Sounds like you had a great day of it, Tim. Whilst I can't confess to being a car nut, a couple of the glam shots are quite captivating with those amazing backdrops!
    Feedback and honest, constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.
    GeoffM
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by GeoffM » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:23 pm

A great way to take time out, probably not very relaxing though!
    Fuji | X-Pro1 | XE-1 | XT-1 | XF14 | XF23 | XF27 | XF35 | XF56 | XF60 | XF10-24 | XF18-55 | XF55-200 | MCEX-11

http://gmarshall.zenfolio.com
    http://xtographer.weebly.com
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:28 pm

Need to remember to switch your lights on!

Cool photos though, I'll have to search out some mud like that around here.
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by beeb » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:33 pm

Plays with Light wrote:Really picturesque environment, a great place to get away from the house to unwind and play!

Sounds like you had a great day of it, Tim. Whilst I can't confess to being a car nut, a couple of the glam shots are quite captivating with those amazing backdrops!

Yeah, it's not a bad spot at all. There's a really diverse mix of bush and terrain throughout the park (even the soil type and construction varies greatly from hard clay, to loose humis, up to rocky slopes and ridges), normally with an abundance of wildflowers scattered about too. So there's always something to see. Normally too busy exploring to stop for pictures though! Oops! :)

GeoffM wrote:A great way to take time out, probably not very relaxing though!

It was for me this time - Nothing broke! :lol: The ol' Zook's pretty heavily modified, so it can be a bit touch and go pushing a vehicle so far past it's design/engineering limits at times, but aside from a few false-alarms and easy fixes it's been pretty reliable over all (so far!).

Busiboy wrote:Need to remember to switch your lights on!

True! - I forgot... :oops: - The LED lightbar creates a whole world of flare unless the camera's off to the side a fair amount though. Will get back up to get some proper "glamour" shots of my Zook and the Patrol featured here at some stage anyway. Planning some blue-hour long-exposure light-painted shots, maybe with a touch of flash if needed. :wink:

Busiboy wrote:Cool photos though, I'll have to search out some mud like that around here.

It's good fun for sure, but make sure you give a poke and prod first (unless you know the tracks you're on obviously). Check depth and whether the base is firm. Soft base will mean it's going to be slippery and you'll likely loose traction/drive. I've seen guys flood vehicles in bogholes that looked like nothing but big shallow puddles too (drove in not realising depth, got stuck in because of steep entry/exit, then the water has time to fill up around/inside the vehicle instead of being pushed around it). It's a massive job to clean out and smells pretty nasty too. Extended Diff and Gearbox breathers are a must too in really deep stuff, otherwise as the housings cool suddenly as they hit the water/mud, they try to draw in air to allow for the lubricating fluids contracting, but if the diffs/gearbox are submerged in muddy water - that's what it'll suck in. Does very nasty things to the internals of those components. I also like to know what's going on in advance because - let's just say - that Suzuki obviously thought weather sealing was largely unnecessary for the Sierra model range... Keep that bow wave going and it's all good though. :wink: Hope I never get bogged halfway or I'm going to get wet fast! :lol: