New mobile
  • User avatar
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter
    Posts: 1354
    Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:34 pm
    Location: Lost In Thought
    Contact:

    New mobile

    by Plays with Light » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:51 pm

    Got myself a new mobile the other day, with a lowly 8MP camera in it and no image stabilisation or zoom. These are from that, with basic B&W conversion and square crops in iPhoto. Not too shabby if I say so myself, definitely more than good enough to share on the interwebz, even at full size. Looking forward to playing with the slow-motion video next at 240 frames per second... :wink:

    The broccoli is coming along nicely.
    Image

    A nasturtium flower.
    Image

    Some cacti.
    Image

    A peach flower.
    Image

    Celery leaf.
    Image

    Nerf gun darts. We have three boys, what can I say...
    Image
    Feedback and honest, constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.
  • User avatar
    LOZ
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist
    Posts: 2888
    Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:48 am
    Contact:

    Re: New mobile

    by LOZ » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:48 pm

    It shits all over your dslr Thank god Canon don't make phones :wink:

    Was talking to a retail camera shop owner he said P&S cameras 6 years ago made up 40- 50% of his sales and now they are 14% and that 14% has eaten into his DSLR sales
    needless to say he is going broke .

    If my daughters gf allows me I will post her wedding photos that were taken on a iPhone and a new Nokia phone :shock: they are bloody amazing that's all I can say
    Calm down its not real life its a internet forum:)
  • User avatar
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter
    Posts: 1354
    Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:34 pm
    Location: Lost In Thought
    Contact:

    Re: New mobile

    by Plays with Light » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:11 pm

    LOZ wrote:It shits all over your dslr Thank god Canon don't make phones :wink:

    Was talking to a retail camera shop owner he said P&S cameras 6 years ago made up 40- 50% of his sales and now they are 14% and that 14% has eaten into his DSLR sales
    needless to say he is going broke .

    If my daughters gf allows me I will post her wedding photos that were taken on a iPhone and a new Nokia phone :shock: they are bloody amazing that's all I can say


    I don't know that it's better than my DSLR in image quality, but it sure is a heck of a lot more convenient and is with me wherever I go, when I actually get out the house. I have an app for it that allows me to save the images as full Tiff's, with great dynamic range and detail. Those above were just stock standard medium quality Jpeg's. None of them are using the HDR thingy either. I wanted to see what it could do on stock settings.

    I feel for the bricks and mortar photographic retailers, their days are numbered, sadly. This little baby (iPhone 6) is all the majority of folks want and need, where all they actually do is to share via the web and maybe, possibly, print the odd one or two to stick in a small 4"x6" frame on a mantle somewhere. I don't know of anyone still using a point and shoot any more. They all use their phones, regardless of brand, or image quality. With the vast majority never bothering to wipe their lenses clean before taking that all important selfie... :roll:

    The in-camera HDR on this thing is surprisingly good at opening up the dynamic range a bit, on par with that trick in my Canon anyway. Not that I use it on the DSLR, but on the phone I will.

    I'd love to see the pictures from your daughters gf's wedding LOZ.
    Feedback and honest, constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.
  • User avatar
    DJT
    Reporter
    Reporter
    Posts: 1412
    Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:07 pm
    Location: Werrington
    Contact:

    Re: New mobile

    by DJT » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:47 pm

    Crickey
    David
  • User avatar
    LOZ
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist
    Posts: 2888
    Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:48 am
    Contact:

    Re: New mobile

    by LOZ » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:50 pm

    ""I feel for the bricks and mortar photographic retailers, their days are numbered, sadly""


    Why feel sorry for a business that dosnt keep up with the times Buggered if I can remember the last time the milko came probably around the same time the dunny pan man
    lost his job that was around the same time we had the sewer connected . I also think so called photographers get far too carried away with image quality and forget about the content of the photo just tune in to any photography forum and look at the chat about new camera new lens new new must have.


    BTW I think these 6 are the most enjoyable I have seen from you that's just my thoughts so don't worry I know **** :wink:
    Calm down its not real life its a internet forum:)
  • User avatar
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter
    Posts: 1354
    Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:34 pm
    Location: Lost In Thought
    Contact:

    Re: New mobile

    by Plays with Light » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:11 pm

    LOZ wrote:Why feel sorry for a business that dosnt keep up with the times Buggered if I can remember the last time the milko came probably around the same time the dunny pan man lost his job that was around the same time we had the sewer connected .


    I reckon, if I put myself in their shoes, doing something I loved for forty odd years, I'd be pretty shattered if I was left behind by changes in technology. I suppose they could always become a mobile phone vendor, with one shelf of film equipment, for novelty/nostalgia's sake.

    LOZ wrote:I also think so called photographers get far too carried away with image quality and forget about the content of the photo just tune in to any photography forum and look at the chat about new camera new lens new new must have.


    Have to agree there. Some of my best images are off of my phones!

    LOZ wrote:BTW I think these 6 are the most enjoyable I have seen from you that's just my thoughts so don't worry I know **** :wink:


    Thanks, LOZ. I think there's a simplicity and honesty to them, which I tend to miss when I am using my DSLR, because I get caught up in the techie aspects, rather than seeing and capturing what's there. It's for that very thing that I am so looking forward to learning about and using film.
    Feedback and honest, constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.
  • User avatar
    LOZ
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist
    Posts: 2888
    Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:48 am
    Contact:

    Re: New mobile

    by LOZ » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:12 pm

    Another amazing photo phone thing they used at the weeding was a phone APP that many of the guests loaded to there phones and when a pix was taken it was immediately sent to the brides phone. When the bride woke the next morning she was able to look at 100s of photos and videos that were taken at the church and reception,

    So there goes those stupid single use 12 shot plastic film cameras they leave on tables at the reception :D
    Calm down its not real life its a internet forum:)
  • User avatar
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter
    Posts: 1354
    Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:34 pm
    Location: Lost In Thought
    Contact:

    Re: New mobile

    by Plays with Light » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:13 pm

    DJT wrote:Crickey


    I hope that's a good 'crikey,' David? :?
    Feedback and honest, constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.
  • User avatar
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter
    Posts: 1354
    Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:34 pm
    Location: Lost In Thought
    Contact:

    Re: New mobile

    by Plays with Light » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:22 pm

    LOZ wrote:Another amazing photo phone thing they used at the weeding was a phone APP that many of the guests loaded to there phones and when a pix was taken it was immediately sent to the brides phone. When the bride woke the next morning she was able to look at 100s of photos and videos that were taken at the church and reception,

    So there goes those stupid single use 12 shot plastic film cameras they leave on tables at the reception :D


    That's very cool. I have seen some great images from folks leaving the disposable cameras on each table, but that sharing app sounds very cool to me. You'd have amazingly personal images that no photographer could get, with everyone being so much more relaxed and in the moment having pictures captured by friends and relatives.

    If we ever got married, I'd want everyone to use cheap plastic Holga's, I love the feel of their crusty images.
    Feedback and honest, constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.
  • User avatar
    DJT
    Reporter
    Reporter
    Posts: 1412
    Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:07 pm
    Location: Werrington
    Contact:

    Re: New mobile

    by DJT » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:25 pm

    Yep definitely a good crikey
    David
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist
    Posts: 2125
    Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:25 am
    Location: Sydney
    Contact:

    Re: New mobile

    by W G » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:40 am

    There is so much utter crap that people delude themselves with about their gear. Especially in a venue such as were are in.

    The best camera is the one you're happy with for the task at hand.

    Alex, these garden pics are incredible. They remind me of two much earlier snappers. Albert Renger-Patzsch (the father of photographic objectivity)
    http://mitpress.mit.edu/books/albert-renger-patzsch
    and from even earlier Charles Jones. (The Plant Kingdoms of Charles Jones). http://www.thamesandhudson.com/The_Plan ... 0500542224

    Thanks for the fine work whether with phone or cam.
    Walter Glover

    "Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi
  • User avatar
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter
    Posts: 1831
    Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:49 pm
    Location: Adelaide
    Contact:

    Re: New mobile

    by Doug » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:24 pm

    These are impressive alright.
  • User avatar
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter
    Posts: 1354
    Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:34 pm
    Location: Lost In Thought
    Contact:

    Re: New mobile

    by Plays with Light » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:27 pm

    W G wrote:There is so much utter crap that people delude themselves with about their gear. Especially in a venue such as were are in.

    The best camera is the one you're happy with for the task at hand.

    Alex, these garden pics are incredible. They remind me of two much earlier snappers. Albert Renger-Patzsch (the father of photographic objectivity)
    http://mitpress.mit.edu/books/albert-renger-patzsch
    and from even earlier Charles Jones. (The Plant Kingdoms of Charles Jones). http://www.thamesandhudson.com/The_Plan ... 0500542224

    Thanks for the fine work whether with phone or cam.


    Thank you and it's my pleasure, Walter. Another two photographers and books made note of, the list of literature to search out is getting pretty long these days! Objective Photography is something I only first read about a couple of weeks ago and I remember thinking that I'd love to find out more about it. Thanks for the reminder! Damn this erratic short term memory of mine... :roll:
    Feedback and honest, constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.
  • User avatar
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter
    Posts: 1354
    Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:34 pm
    Location: Lost In Thought
    Contact:

    Re: New mobile

    by Plays with Light » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:29 pm

    Doug wrote:These are impressive alright.


    Thanks, Doug. I'm well chuffed with the camera in this thing. I still can't get over how much detail it can soak up for such a tiny little (f/2.2) lens.
    Feedback and honest, constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest