Playing with indoor macro
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

Playing with indoor macro

by Plays with Light » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:43 pm

Spent a few hours playing with a very simple three light, indoor macro setup this afternoon using three deceased insects. I learnt a lot from the failures! Here's the best of the worst, so to speak. :wink:

All, except for the first were taken with a Tamron 90mm Macro lens. The first was a test with my tilt-shift lens and an exceedingly heavy crop to get the resulting image.

Dragonfly

_MG_1489.jpg by Alexander ., on Flickr

_MG_1397.jpg by Alexander ., on Flickr

_MG_1380.jpg by Alexander ., on Flickr

Funnel-Web Spider

_MG_1423.jpg by Alexander ., on Flickr

Phasmid

_MG_1471.jpg by Alexander ., on Flickr

_MG_1445.jpg by Alexander ., on Flickr

_MG_1474.jpg by Alexander ., on Flickr

Phasmid 04 by Alexander ., on Flickr
    Feedback and honest, constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Re: Playing with indoor macro

by Eden » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:12 am

For a heavy crop the first capture is awesome.

I like the 2nd shot of the dragonfly's back with the wing detail and especially like the first shot of the Phasmid ( I reckon it would look pretty sinister done all moody in B+W and quite alien like)

The last shot of the Phasmid head is really good for me also and gives me flashbacks to some of the alien head gear that was used in early Dr Who and Star Trek episodes with the decay starting to ooze from its mouth.

I have only ever seen 3 or 4 of these Titan stick insects before but was lucky to see one land and then take off again and the wings were amazing also, they were the size and similar shape as a house sparrow but with heaps of detail in them

that spider was a fair sized huntsman and I suspect a little bigger than the ones I get this side of town

It looks like a fun day was had
    I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Plays with Light » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:21 am

Eden wrote:For a heavy crop the first capture is awesome.

I like the 2nd shot of the dragonfly's back with the wing detail and especially like the first shot of the Phasmid ( I reckon it would look pretty sinister done all moody in B+W and quite alien like)

The last shot of the Phasmid head is really good for me also and gives me flashbacks to some of the alien head gear that was used in early Dr Who and Star Trek episodes with the decay starting to ooze from its mouth.

I have only ever seen 3 or 4 of these Titan stick insects before but was lucky to see one land and then take off again and the wings were amazing also, they were the size and similar shape as a house sparrow but with heaps of detail in them

that spider was a fair sized huntsman and I suspect a little bigger than the ones I get this side of town

It looks like a fun day was had

Thanks, Eden. The dragonfly was about 80mm long, the spider was about 20mm long and the phasmid is about 90mm long with a head about 12mm long.

I haven't tried any in B&W yet, but will have a quick look when I have the time. I too was taken straight back to the old Sci-Fi movies and such with the facial close-ups of the phasmid.

Unfortunately, I learnt the hard way, not to apply oil with a cotton tip to the dragonflies eye with a rubbing motion, it removed half or more of those little cells I wanted to capture a real close-up of... :roll:
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:52 am

The design of those wings in the second one is fascinating.
    Does focus stacking interest you, since you have a motionless subject?
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by beeb » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:36 pm

Could be worth experimenting with a black background for these Alex.

Shots have plenty of detail, but are somewhat overpowered by the the bleak white backgrounds IMO. A black background will enable you to bump up the lighting on the subjects a little more, which will have the double benefit of seperating it from the background a bit more. Just my 2c though. :)

I like the "portrait" of the leaf monster, very cool! :)
    DJT
    Reporter
    Reporter

by DJT » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:33 pm

What a great way to spend the day, time spent well i say. #2 and #6 get my interest
    David
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Plays with Light » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:41 pm

Doug wrote:The design of those wings in the second one is fascinating.
    Does focus stacking interest you, since you have a motionless subject?

I tried focus stacking a while back, Doug, with mixed results! Even with a focus stacking track, the movement wasn't uniform between images and the results of the stacking program were not the best. Maybe they have gotten better since then. I might try it again some time with some other objects, these three are compost now! :lol:
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Plays with Light » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:50 pm

beeb wrote:Could be worth experimenting with a black background for these Alex.

Shots have plenty of detail, but are somewhat overpowered by the the bleak white backgrounds IMO. A black background will enable you to bump up the lighting on the subjects a little more, which will have the double benefit of seperating it from the background a bit more. Just my 2c though. :)

I like the "portrait" of the leaf monster, very cool! :)

I went with the white background because it was the only A3 paper I had around the place, to make the setup. I like your idea of having them on black and I'll have to move over to flashes to get more intense light. I was working with three (cheap) constant 5500K compact fluorescent lights as per the image below, which are really for when I flog stuff off on fleabay.

IMG_0101b.jpg
    Last edited by Plays with Light on Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Plays with Light » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:55 pm

DJT wrote:What a great way to spend the day, time spent well i say. #2 and #6 get my interest

It's amazing how fast the time disappeared actually! I enjoyed looking for some interesting details amongst all the thorny bits on the Phasmid, I'm glad you enjoyed that one, David.