Some Flowers
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

Some Flowers

by Plays with Light » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:16 pm

Some flowers from a walk at Belair National Park last week, when the weather was severely overcast and gloomy. All were taken with my walkabout lens, the Canon 24-105mm, with me trying to get the most out of an f/4 aperture as I could.

Feedback and honest, constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

Re: Some Flowers

by W G » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:56 pm

Alex, I applaud the bold move to take on flora without being seducedby colour. But I suggest it is well worth while keeping in mind that a B&W is not a colour shot with the colour simply turned off. A very simple pitfall with the way digital operates. In B&W you really need to at least think in black & white. Let Google be your friend and look at some of the gems from the likes of Albert Renger-Patszch or even Robert Mapplethorpe. You'll see that they gravitate to the inherent elements of nature's structure, pettern, form and texture.
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Plays with Light » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:20 pm

W G wrote:Alex, I applaud the bold move to take on flora without being seducedby colour. But I suggest it is well worth while keeping in mind that a B&W is not a colour shot with the colour simply turned off. A very simple pitfall with the way digital operates. In B&W you really need to at least think in black & white. Let Google be your friend and look at some of the gems from the likes of Albert Renger-Patszch or even Robert Mapplethorpe. You'll see that they gravitate to the inherent elements of nature's structure, pettern, form and texture.

I will admit these were all hurried shots, Walter, as I was part of a group walk when I captured them all and was holding up the group along the way as a result of my having a camera with me.

Thinking in B&W for me is all about the form, shape, pattern and texture, however, none of these were explicitly taken with B&W in mind. It was an afterthought (in treatment) to the prettiness/tenderness I was attracted to initially and I think that shows.

Have Googled the two fellows you mentioned and fell in love with their imagery, yet more for the inspiration pile! Thanks for that.
    Feedback and honest, constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by W G » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:20 am

I have always had dificulty coming to terms with fitting my snapping in with groups of non-partisan companions. I understand your dilemma but feel zero envy. I am coming to the reality that, for me, photography as a serious pursuit is a solitary enclave, best achieved on my 4x5 and film. Anything else can happen on the ubiquitous iPhone.
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi