5D Mk IV is finally here
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

5D Mk IV is finally here

by Plays with Light » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:27 pm

Well, it's finally out and it's damn expensive (in my eyes)! It can be yours for a mere $5,700 AU. I'll be sticking with my ever so humble and reliable 6D for a while yet... :shock:

https://www.canon.com.au/eos-5d-mark-iv/
    Feedback and honest, constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Re: 5D Mk IV is finally here

by Busiboy » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:31 pm

I'm sure there are benefits, well out of my price range though
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:01 pm

That's expensive alright.
    Even the current model is more camera than I need though.

Lets see how it's sensor stacks up against the current leaders, might be an indication if the 6D mk2 would be worth considering down the track.

It's the 24-105 f4 L mkII that gets my interest at the moment.
    It would be nice to keep that versatility of the focal length range without the nagging feeling that I should change to my newer lenses where they cross over that range.
    It kind of negates that versatility to do so.
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by beeb » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:09 am

IMO All the marketing seems to be tellingly lacking of any mention of dynamic range. Largely because it looks like DR and ISO noise have changed bugger-all.

From the Canon USA sample images:

"EF 14mm f/2.8L II USM | 30.0 sec. | ISO 6400"

Look at the colour noise!!! What a disappointment... :(

For comparison, this is a SOOC jpeg taken with the a7R II: (Loxia 21mm, f/2.8, 20sec, ISO6400 - resized to same resolution)

If they could've improved noise performance and DR I'd have jumped back (when funds permitted) because everything to do with using the camera is so much better on the Canon, but it looks like I'll be stuck in the Sony camp a while longer as I can work around its flaws for now.
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:52 am

beeb wrote:IMO All the marketing seems to be tellingly lacking of any mention of dynamic range. Largely because it looks like DR and ISO noise have changed bugger-all.

By Canons standards if the 80D is anything to go by (and it should be since the same sensor redesign is in the 1DX mk2 and 5D mkiv) DR is a big jump ahead of say the 70D, 6D and I'm sure the 5D mkIII.

Here is a lab test of different exposure recoveries with numerous cameras https://www.dpreview.com/news/716898657 ... low-iso-dr

The 1DXmk2 is particularly good up to +5EV. Not quite as good as the D810 and a7R II, then the wheels start to fall of at +6EV, but still impressive from a Canon sensor, particularly when you put a previous generation Canon sensor result along side.

The Sony sensors are exceptional in the area of DR and Canon suffer a bit by comparison, but I think the time may have passed when new Canons can be considered poor in that area and it is now a useful feature.
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:21 pm

Wow, this camera is getting a roasting at the moment from the spec sheet reviewers.

Outdated card slots.
    A buffer that is small by other cameras standards and issues with the practicality of its 4K video.

It does appear a bit nobbled by it's old tech card slots and the videographers seem to be getting told (though features) if you want serious video capabilities the 5D range is not the place to go looking anymore.

Canon do like to create clearly defined boundaries between models to an annoying extent.
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:56 pm

my main format is and will be crop sensor due to macro and rear of new house view but I might get the 6d mk2 with 24-105 mk2 when it comes out for a full frame kit as it will be good bang for buck I believe.

the $$$$ full frame wears is stupendous compared to 1.6 crop to me and not warranted in the top end gear.
    I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK