Cold To Hot - Camera Care - 400D
    Dwayne

Cold To Hot - Camera Care - 400D

by Dwayne » Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:29 pm

Hi Guys

I'm after some advice. I am heading to Asia in October and I'm concerned about taking the camera from an aircon hotel room out into the humidity. I remember with my Lumix, the lense would fog over and I'd have to wait until the glass on the lense warmed so I could give the lense a wipe over and start taking photo's. My Digital video camera did the same. Is there something I can do to stop this from happening with the 400D. I am just a little worried that interanlly the body will produce some condensation. I have heard or read somewhere that you can store the camera in a plastic bag and wait a little while before removing it from the bag in humid conditions. I also read somewhere about storing the camera with some silica? Not sure what the purpose of that is.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I just want to ensure I provide the best camera care I can. So as not to damage the camera and to ensure I can still get some photo's.

Thanks

Dwayne
    NikonUser
    Cadet
    Cadet

by NikonUser » Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:43 pm

The silica is there to suck the moisture out of the air (and thus avoiding any fungus-type growths from forming). However I think that only works if you have it in a sealed container (otherwise the tiny silica packet will try and suck the water out of the air from the whole universe (slight exagguration!)

I think the best thing to do is to warm the camera up as slowly as possible (hence the putting it in a plastic bag idea... the air inside the bag will warm/cool slowly when exposed to a different temperature). Leaving it zipped up in your camera bag for a while might also work.

Good luck
    Paul
    If I had more gear I'd definately be a better photographer!... Definately!

http://www.AustralianNaturePhotography.com
    Dwayne

by Dwayne » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:46 pm

Thanks Paul for your reply.

Silly question, but is the silica packet the same as the little packets you find in sealed food packaging?

I think I will try that plastic bag idea. Seems to be the easiest option. The site that I found that information on also suggested using a garbage bag as it can also be used to protect the camera and camera bag in the event of a downpour.

Thanks again

Dwayne