New Lens Selection
  • Fusionize
    Cadet
    Cadet

New Lens Selection

by Fusionize » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:55 pm

Hi guys,

Been trolling the forums for a little while, decided to join up and get some straight out opinions on new lenses(great aussie site too!!).

I have searched and searched and still cannot make up my mind, so basically what is decided here will make my decision.

My dilemma is what lens to match to my 400d. I mainly do landscape style things, quite often down at the beach or trekking through the otways. Currently using an 18-55IS lens on this but Im finding Im mainly down using the 18-28 range.

Is it worthwhile going a 10-22mm ultra wide on this cam? It is a second body that is in my pack specifically for times when I am close to water(had an accident in where my 5D almost went swimming so I keep it away from any water now). I am not too fussed if it can't be used on my full frame. Is there any other options I should be looking at?

Thanks for the help in advance and again sorry for posting such a common topic.

Cheers
    NikonUser
    Cadet
    Cadet

by NikonUser » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:11 pm

I think it is worthwhile getting an ultrawide... One is definately on my future shopping list (gotta work out if full frame is in my future first!)

As a Nikon shooter I don't really know many Canon options... but the Sigma 10-20 is another one in that range.

Paul
    If I had more gear I'd definately be a better photographer!... Definately!

http://www.AustralianNaturePhotography.com
  • avkomp

by avkomp » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:33 pm

welcome to the forum

no doubt some of the canon shooters will point you in the right direction
  • fireman_gaz

by fireman_gaz » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:42 am

G'Day and welcome along.

I shoot all my landscapes on 17-40F4.0L but I use it on the front of the 5D so it is a true 17. I would normally hestiate going that much further due to the distortioin in the shots.

The EF-S 10-22 is not a bad lens (not great either) but why would you spend over $1000 on a lens that you can only use on one of your bodies.

There is a number of third part options, but I have never really found them up to scratch with a good L series Canon lens.

17-40F4.0L is my vote for sure.
  • Fusionize
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Fusionize » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:08 am

Thanks for the replies and welcomes!!

The EF-S 10-22 is not a bad lens (not great either) but why would you spend over $1000 on a lens that you can only use on one of your bodies.

There is a number of third part options, but I have never really found them up to scratch with a good L series Canon lens.

17-40F4.0L is my vote for sure.

Basically the lens that goes on this body will stay on the body and will never be removed. Which is why Im not too phased if it can't be used on the 5d.

Will look into the 17-40, thanks.

edit: I have a few people telling me to just go a 24-105 L series, my only concern is, on a crop body would these be suitable for Landscape shots?
  • David Anderson
    Cadet
    Cadet

by David Anderson » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:37 pm

The 17-40 is a great lens IMO and will be great when/if you get a full frame in the future.
    Some of the stuff I've seen of a mates off his 20D is awesome.

The 24-105 is not a great match for a crop frame, though it is a good lens, just not wide enough really.

I would hang for a bit before buying any lenses as they might have new stuff for photokina in September.
    ANSEL ADAMS ~ When words become unclear I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate I shall be content with silence.

www.davidanderson.com.au
  • fireman_gaz

by fireman_gaz » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:55 pm

Fusionize wrote:Basically the lens that goes on this body will stay on the body and will never be removed.

Why would you do that?

I have a small compliment of lenses and they swap back and forth between bodies all the time.

I would go as close as saying that once you get the 17-40 on the 5D you won't ever use the 20D for landscapes again.
  • Fusionize
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Fusionize » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:12 pm

fireman_gaz wrote:
    Fusionize wrote:Basically the lens that goes on this body will stay on the body and will never be removed.

Why would you do that?

I have a small compliment of lenses and they swap back and forth between bodies all the time.

I would go as close as saying that once you get the 17-40 on the 5D you won't ever use the 20D for landscapes again.

Its more so that I keep using this body, I would hate to see it never used. Seems a waste of cash otherwise.

David Anderson wrote:The 17-40 is a great lens IMO and will be great when/if you get a full frame in the future.
    Some of the stuff I've seen of a mates off his 20D is awesome.

The 24-105 is not a great match for a crop frame, though it is a good lens, just not wide enough really.

I would hang for a bit before buying any lenses as they might have new stuff for photokina in September.

Already have a FF currently only use it with the 100-400. Main reason I thought of the 10-22 was because of the photography I do, for me it is only a hobby. Perhaps its worth taking on both the 17-40 and 10-22?

I seriously wish this hobby was a, Cheaper and b.Easy to make decisions with lol.

Guess it's time to start looking into the 17-40, can't really wait much longer, need a new toy to play with lol.
    AJ
    Cadet
    Cadet

by AJ » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:40 pm

I have a Sigma 12-24mm F/4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical for my 5D and love it. This shot is at 12mm. Distortion is there but I like the results Im getting.

Andrew
    Canon 1D, 5D, 7D & D2000 plus lotsa extras
    See here: http://www.digitalslr.com.au/forum/view ... hp?t=10137

My photo website http://touring4x4.com
    Travel & photography blog: http://www.touring4x4.com/blog/
    PP is OK
  • Fusionize
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Fusionize » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:05 pm

That distorition actually gives it a nice effect!!

Decided Im going to try and talk the Mrs into both the 17-40 and 10-22. Will try a bribe that she can buy some furniture or something, i fthat fails I will go the 17-40 and look at buying the 10-22 in the near future. Would really love an ultra wide for the 400d.