Never owned a SLR or DSLR
  • joe27

Never owned a SLR or DSLR

by joe27 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:03 pm

Hi All,

I have never owned a SLR OR DSLR before and I am looking at getting one late this year or early next year. I would appreciate some advice and or tips while researching what is out in the market.
    I have just started looking at forums like this and slowly gaining some knowledge about DSLR's.
    I have seen this combination of camera and lens and need to know if this is something that will be right for a beginer with the option to get better and more advanced lens in the future.

Canon 50D with 18-200mm IS lens

Regards

Joe
    Perth W.A

by Guest » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:41 pm

Hi Joe

There are so many choices and recommendations.

What I'd like to recomemnd you do is ask a lot of questions, but, also go down to you local camera store and have a play and a good look at all the different options, talk to the sales staff, to see what's best for you.

You will find that Canon and Nikon are the most popular SLR's but there are plenty of other worthy choices like Pentax, Olympus, Sony, etc to also consider.
  • Danny

by Danny » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:01 pm

About the only advice I would give Joe, is don't get caught up in the megapixel race and all the functions you will never use. Really its way out of hand in advertising and selling.

Its always been in my opinion, the camera is just a box, the glass is what counts and the eye behind it is the most important tool of all.

Each brand has its own benefits and downfalls. Brand "A" is not better than brand "B". One might suit better than another for what you want. Find a camera you may think you like and check out on http://dpreview.com and ask, ask and ask some more.

All the best and good luck Joe.

Danny.
    Macro, its a wonderful small world

http://www.macrophotos.com
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:39 pm

kiwifamily wrote:Hi Joe

There are so many choices and recommendations.

What I'd like to recomemnd you do is ask a lot of questions, but, also go down to you local camera store and have a play and a good look at all the different options, talk to the sales staff, to see what's best for you.

You will find that Canon and Nikon are the most popular SLR's but there are plenty of other worthy choices like Pentax, Olympus, Sony, etc to also consider.
    :D

But in all seriousness it depends on what you want to do with it. Inbody IS means you don't pay for it in every lens, having a 2X mag factor means you get twice the length out of your zoom, but half as wide for the same.

There are arguments for and against every system, as Darren suggested, go to your local store, have a hold, have a play and see what appeals to you.

Good luck and welcome to the site.

Scott
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
    heartyfisher
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by heartyfisher » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:41 pm

Please let us know what you intend to take with it? also some background as to why you have decided to get a DSLR may help us narrow down the choices for you.
    including a budget would help too..
    Have you had experience with Digital Photography eg Post processing software etc. are you interested in Video? etc.. lots of options available so again some background will help us help you!
    Moments of Light : D7K D610 18-200 150 12-24 24-70 70-200 + C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.
    Dalzine
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Dalzine » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:44 pm

Danny wrote:About the only advice I would give Joe, is don't get caught up in the megapixel race and all the functions you will never use. Really its way out of hand in advertising and selling.

This guy loves his megapixels, and the more the merrier. Judging by the results he gets I'm inclined to agree with him. :D

Dale.
    Will build websites for 'L' glass.
  • Danny

by Danny » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:00 pm

:D HDR. The largest manipulation you can do to an image and make it look like candy cake. 8) :lol: The impossibility of lighting.

Danny.
    Macro, its a wonderful small world

http://www.macrophotos.com
    Dug
    Senior Photojournalist
    Senior Photojournalist

by Dug » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:24 pm

2 brands Nikon and Canon Sorry but for ease of expanding your outfit I would recommend sticking to the big 2.

As for a choice a VERY BIASED NIKON !!!

but that is just a personal thing.

At the moment I don't think there is what I would call a "bad" dslr on the market ( apart from all Canon cameras :lol: ) SO check your budget and work out what you want to do with the camera, Don't worry about megapixles anything over 6 in a dslr will be more than adequate.

If a sales person starts telling you one camera is better because it has a Gazzillion megapixles walk away and do not go back !
    "Photography to the amateur is recreation, to the professional it is work, and hard work too, no matter how pleasurable it may be."

Edward Weston

( Total NIKON bigot )

PPOK
  • Walter Glover

Re: Never owned a SLR or DSLR

by Walter Glover » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:43 pm

joe27 wrote:I have never owned a SLR OR DSLR before and I am looking at getting one late this year or early next year.

Welcome Joe,

Interesting query you make but you do not indicate WHY you feel a DSLR is necessary. Depending on your intentions photographically, it may even be that you don't need a DSLR.

Once you work out what it is you are hoping to achieve the question will be a whole lot easier to answer.
    Dalzine
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Dalzine » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:10 am

Danny wrote::D HDR. The largest manipulation you can do to an image and make it look like candy cake. 8) :lol: The impossibility of lighting.

Danny.

I like HDR... done properly. Yes you can blow it out and get halos around everything but when you can get it to reproduce light correctly, now that's something to see.

Dale.
    Will build websites for 'L' glass.
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:53 am

Dalzine wrote:
    Danny wrote::D HDR. The largest manipulation you can do to an image and make it look like candy cake. 8) :lol: The impossibility of lighting.

Danny.

I like HDR... done properly. Yes you can blow it out and get halos around everything but when you can get it to reproduce light correctly, now that's something to see.

Dale.

I don't believe that is what a HDR does.

As I understand it, a single exposure is reproducing light correctly, a HDR is manipulating the lighting levels so that we can see everything that our eye sees.

Sorry to sidetrack the thread.

Back on topic, you need to know what you want to do in order to make the right selection.

Want high ISO performance and like paying a lot of money? That is one brand

Like high resolution pictures that will crash your computer? That is another.

Those are the big two although a 3rd can now slip under the later description :D

There are advantages to each and every system. Knowing what you want to achieve and do is the key to the answer, till then it will be a Canon V Nikon debate with the odd Naysayer piping up with Olympus and Sony.

Everyone likes their kit (mostly) so each will know the limitations and advantages of each.
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
  • joe27

by joe27 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:26 am

Thank's All for the great advice and tips.

I am currently working in the W.A pilbara region and drive through some of the most beautiful places i have seen in my 47yrs, have a point and shoot 3mega pixel camera and a colleague has a 7MP point and shoot camera that we have taken pictures with, the pictures just don't do justice to what we see.

That is one of the main reasons that I am looking for a camera that will capture the image so I can enjoy them later.

I do have a budget, something in the range of $1500 to $2000.
    Anything more than that will probably be rejected by the treasurer.

Regards

Joe
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:53 am

I'll let the others advise to their preferred system.

On the Olympus front, you can get an E520, which will come with two 'kit' lens, inbuilt IS, Sensor dust reduction for under $1000, then you could upgrade one lens, to a short zoom, a prime (fixed focal length) or a combination.

Working out in the dust, I would recomend some sort of dust cleaning/sealing system which ever way you go. The E520 isn't weather sealed, the E3 is but outside your budget I think with a sealed lens.

The E3 is also a lot heavier than the E3, stronger but heavier.
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott