Seeking advice re options for new lenses
  • kjb

Seeking advice re options for new lenses

by kjb » Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:21 pm

Hi all!

Long time lurker but have only just joined, so please forgive me if I breach any conventions/rules.

I will be upgrading from a canon 20d to either a 5d or 5d mark II, but before I do that Iwill be buying a whole new range of lenses and was hoping for some feedback from this awesome forum (one of the few I've come across where members offer great feedback and constructive criticism rather than criticise for the fun of it).

I do mostly portraits and landscapes (purely amateur, but I'm steadily improving and my consumer grade lenses are no longer cutting it).

The only lens I have that I intend keeping is a 50mm 1.4.

I'm considering getting the following 3 (possibly 4) lenses:
    1.17-40 f4 or a decent wide angle prime. The 16-35 doesn't seem to offer that much more performance-wise for landscape photography for a whole lot more money (I can see its value for indoor work, such as weddings, but I don't do that kind of photography).
    2. 24-105 f4. Thought long and hard about the 24-70 f2.8, but for my style of photography I thought the extra zoom range and lower weight were better advantages to me than the wider aperture.
    3. 70-200 f4 IS. Again I thought long and hard about the f2.8, but in the end it just seems too heavy to be practical for travel/hiking if I want to carry the other lenses (plus a tripod, plus filters, plus water, plus everything else one needs).
    4. If I find I'm missing ocasional portraits with the 70-200 f4, I will probably add a 135mm f2 (or an 85mm f1.eight) to my kit. Maybe one day I can dream of an 85 f1.2, but at the moment with everything else I need (or "want") first that is pie in the sky.

So there you have it. I've been using my old 20d for 4 years (and have had some of my lenses for almost 10 years) so I can get all this at once as I've been saving for years. Just as the the dollar tanked, just my luck. So I want to get it sooner rather than later, before retailers start running out of old stock and put up their prices.

Thought about 2nd hand for a while, but the prices on ebay dont seem that much cheaper than new from places like qcsa and digi-direct (often within $100-$300), and then you dont get a 12 mnth warranty and if the lens has problems you are %$#&ed.

Any feedback would be much appreciated. I should add my budget for glass is around $4K, give or take.

Many thanks,
    Kylie
  • David Anderson
    Cadet
    Cadet

by David Anderson » Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:04 pm

You're right to get the F4 lenses if you don't do a lot of shooting in low light, both are very good and what you pay for in the 2.8's is the extra stop, not quality..

Both those lenses are very good IMHO.

Both those zooms would work well with a 50 1.4 as a third lens, it will shoot in very low light and do great portraits on a crop frame.
    On a full frame it's a great lens for environmental portraits of people.

I don't think buying grey market is a good idea in the long run as you might not get good local support should you have a problem.
    The prices at dealers here has come down a lot over the last 12 months and the price difference is not what it once was.

You could also go into a shop and try some of these to get a feel.
    ANSEL ADAMS ~ When words become unclear I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate I shall be content with silence.

www.davidanderson.com.au
    wulos
    Cadet
    Cadet

by wulos » Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:04 pm

Sounds like you have already done the hard yards, making some well educated decisions on what you really need out of the glassware you are choosing.
    Of the lens choices you have mentioned, personally I only own the 17-40 & have found it quite a capable wide angle lens. I have several mates that use the 24 - 105, & they are ecstatic with the shots they are getting with it on 450D / 40D / 20D's. Being an L series lens I would expect the 70-200 f4 to be no different.
    One point worth keeping in mind is that the 5D (and 5D2) is that they are both Full Framed, as against the EF-S sensored 20D, which has a 1.6 crop multiplier effect...
  • avkomp

by avkomp » Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:25 pm

welcome to the forum

I cant help with opionions on the Canon lenses

please amend your profile to show a more meaningful location also.

NSW is a tad general.

we are a friendly bunch around here
  • kjb

by kjb » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:03 pm

avkomp wrote:welcome to the forum

I cant help with opionions on the Canon lenses

please amend your profile to show a more meaningful location also.

NSW is a tad general.

we are a friendly bunch around here

Thanks for the welcome. Have fixed profile. Wasn't sure if it was relevant when I'm not in a major city.
  • avkomp

by avkomp » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:13 pm

you have??

doenst look like it

putting the city in your profile
    regional or otherwise helps us to get to know you better
    Karrossa

by Karrossa » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:55 pm

For my 5D I have the 24-105L f4 and the 100-400L and I am in love with both of them. The next lens I am getting is the 17-40L. I went for the f4 over the 2.8 because I prefered to have the IS and wanted the slightly longer reach over the 24-70.

Unless you need the f2.8 for low light, then the 24-105L f4 on a Full Frame 5D is a perfect walk around lens and fine for most landscapes. Grab the 17-40L later, like I am.

The 24-105L will also do you for portraits until you get a 135 prime. You'll just need to get a tiny bit closer for now.

I considered a 70-200 but saw the 100-400L as the better option to match the 24-105L.

My 2 cents worth.
    heartyfisher
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

Re: Seeking advice re options for new lenses

by heartyfisher » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:05 am

kjb wrote:(or an 85mm f1.eight) to my kit.
    Kylie

:D Welcome Kylie.. yes a friendly forum this is .. even the smilies 8) pop up from nowhere .. :lol:
    Moments of Light : D7K D610 18-200 150 12-24 24-70 70-200 + C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.
    RichardW
    Reporter
    Reporter

by RichardW » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:31 am

I've got the 17-40 F4 and 70-200 F4 IS and very happy with both taking both when walking through the bush.
    Have the 24-70 F2.8 as a walk around lens.
    More into landscape and wildlife than portraits but find the 70-200 fairly handy for portraits if required.
    Richard
    PPOK
    Canon D10, 350D, 5D and a few lenses

Profile and Images
  • kjb

by kjb » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:35 pm

Many thanks for everyone's replies. So far most comments from users in the know seem to indicate I'm generally on the right path with my likely choices, so that's a relief. And Karrossa - I also have a possible option of a cheap 2nd hand 100-400 (despite my concerns about buying second hand) so I might even be able to add that one to the mix.
    Karrossa

by Karrossa » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:13 pm

It's a beautiful lens for sure and very handy.
  • David Anderson
    Cadet
    Cadet

by David Anderson » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:50 pm

I wouldn't worry to much about buying a second hand lens, there's plenty of examples around that are in very good condition and then there's the ones I've sold that look like they've been used to hammer nails and open beer cans, but come cheap and shoot well. :D
    ANSEL ADAMS ~ When words become unclear I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate I shall be content with silence.

www.davidanderson.com.au
    chad
    Cadet
    Cadet

by chad » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:57 pm

David Anderson wrote:I wouldn't worry to much about buying a second hand lens, there's plenty of examples around that are in very good condition and then there's the ones I've sold that look like they've been used to hammer nails and open beer cans, but come cheap and shoot well. :D
    As the proud owner of a 70 - 200 beer can opening nail hammer ............. I concur :D .
    Be the person your dog thinks you are!