Canon discontinuing the 70-200 f2.8L IS?
  • Pharfignewton

Canon discontinuing the 70-200 f2.8L IS?

by Pharfignewton » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:13 pm

Hi,

First time poster, long time lurker :)

I've just recently got back into photography and been reading digitalSLR forum and trying to learn as much as I can.

I used to do photography as a side subject in Uni as I knew I would one day come back to it. DSLR and learning to use photoshop is very different from developing in a darkroom, but I'm getting the hang of photoshop.

Anyway I've been trying to find out as much as I can about the 70-200 f2.8L IS, as that would be my next purchase, hoping to get it on the cheap from a friend that works in a wholesale/distribution company. He advised me that he has contacted Canon product manager and they said that Canon Aus does not have any stock, and this lens will be discontinuing making way for a new one, and what ever stock is left is in the japan's factory.

I've also read on other forum that Canon Aus will be increasing its price on all the lens soon, due to the decreasing AUD.

Has anyone heard of any of these rumors? if they are discontinuing I'd rather wait for the new version to come out, if not I'd buy the current stock before the price rises.
    --------------
    Canon 50D
    Leginmat

by Leginmat » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:25 pm

I'm not sure about the 70-200mm situation but I can add that as expected, there will be a Canon price rise in the near future.

I've been hunting for a lens and each retailer has stated that they expect their next shipment to increase in price... :(
  • David Anderson
    Cadet
    Cadet

by David Anderson » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:41 pm

I paid over $4000 for my 70-200 2.8 IS a few years ago, so you would have to be happy that you can get one now for around $2600.

I would expect prices to increase a bit as well, but we have a long way to go before the bad old days of 32 % sales tax. :shock:
    ANSEL ADAMS ~ When words become unclear I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate I shall be content with silence.

www.davidanderson.com.au
    marc

by marc » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:15 pm

David Anderson wrote:I paid over $4000 for my 70-200 2.8 IS a few years ago

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: I nearly choked on my dinner!!
    "My aim in life is to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am!"

http://africaddict.smugmug.com

D3S|D700+MB-D10|14-24|24-70|70-200VRII|500 VR|Sigma 150 f/2.8 macro|TC1.4&1.7E|SB 900
    Sir Tristram
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Sir Tristram » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:13 pm

Don't know anything about prices and stock levels but this bit of glass seriously rocks.

my 2c worth...
    John C.
    **PPOK**
    troypiggo

by troypiggo » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:14 am

I've got one for sale at the moment if anyone is interested. Sorry for the shameless plug. :)
    http://www.digitalslr.com.au/forum/view ... hp?t=11597

I haven't heard anything about discontinuing manufacture of them, though. Can't see it, or understand it if it's true. This lens is one of their best, and a real workhorse for wedding photogs, isn't it?
    Troy Piggins
    If I posted some photos, click them for a larger image.
    I always appreciate critique. PPOK.
    greyko
    Cadet
    Cadet

by greyko » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:54 pm

troypiggo wrote:
    I haven't heard anything about discontinuing manufacture of them, though. Can't see it, or understand it if it's true. This lens is one of their best, and a real workhorse for wedding photogs, isn't it?

It just means they'll be bringing out a new model, not discontinuing the line completely.
  • David Anderson
    Cadet
    Cadet

by David Anderson » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:35 pm

It wouldn't surprise me to see an update of the 70-200 2.8 IS, it has been around for a long time after all.

I don't think you would see it replaced however, it's really a bread and butter lens in their pro line-up.
    ANSEL ADAMS ~ When words become unclear I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate I shall be content with silence.

www.davidanderson.com.au
  • Pharfignewton

by Pharfignewton » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:43 pm

David Anderson wrote:It wouldn't surprise me to see an update of the 70-200 2.8 IS, it has been around for a long time after all.

That's what I meant, an updated version of the 70-200 2.8 IS, not actual discontinuing of the model.

Anyhow I went out and bought myself a new one this arvo. Hoping to take some pics with it this weekend. It's 1 heavy tube i tell ya.
    --------------
    Canon 50D