What driver/plug-in so photoshop recognizes my 20D (mac)
    dreadographer

What driver/plug-in so photoshop recognizes my 20D (mac)

by dreadographer » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:22 pm

Ok at the moment i import through iphoto, then open the image in photoshop for editing but it ends up being a mess really cos i photo doesnt really organise the photos that well. Just want to be able to import through what i edit with, just that my 20D doesnt appear in the Import list. I know i need some driver or plugin but on there site there are a 16 different drivers for mac and i have no idea which one i need cos none mention photoshop or anything similar.
    greyko
    Cadet
    Cadet

by greyko » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:02 pm

I don't quite get what you're asking.
    Import as in copy them from your camera to your computer?
    Import as in open it in photoshop?

iphoto I imagine is opening when you plug your card/camera in and then importing, copying the files to your hd and also adding them to your library.

You could just copy the files yourself (your 20D/memory card should appear as an ejectable drive in your finder window) and then open whichever photo you want to edit in photoshop. No need to import anything.

If you're wanting to actually import to a library or some such that's connected to photoshop, you could try Bridge or Lightroom. Admittedly I haven't used iphoto in a long time, I use Aperture.
    dreadographer

by dreadographer » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:19 pm

I just thought i could import my photos from my camera using photoshop. iphoto doesnt open automatically, nothing happens when i plug my camera in, i have to manually open iphoto, but the photos dont appear unless i actually import them.

iphoto is just annoying cos i have no control over what to name the files or folders. It can all be nicely organised in the program itself like i can easily find old photos, but if i want to edit old photos in photo i just drag the photo out of iphoto so in doing so im actually creating another original, thus wasting space. Maybe this is just me not knowing how to organise my files, i dont know haha.
    greyko
    Cadet
    Cadet

by greyko » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:32 pm

Ah okay, I know you can have iphoto open by default when you plug in the card or camera. I think best way is to store it all yourself in the location that suits you. Make the folders, drag them there from your memory card and then open it up in photoshop.

I think Bridge will import them, Bridge comes with most Adobe products I think and will allow you to do the organising thing that iphoto does. I haven't used either in ages, but I'm pretty sure in both programs you can specify where it puts the files. I just find it's easier if I put them there myself.

I then import them to my aperture library (leaving them in their original location, not making duplicates or moving them) where I can edit/tag/rate. I barely use photoshop for editing now, there was only one pic out of 600 or so that I used photoshop for just recently.
    dreadographer

by dreadographer » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:59 pm

Ah great, i had never used Adobe Bridge before but just opened it then and it looks like its going to do what i like. Thanks for your help greyko!