Which camera to buy
  • Spill

Which camera to buy

by Spill » Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:28 pm

I realise I will open a can of worms with this but I want to canvas a lot of learned opinions before making a decision. Having found myself without a working camera for the first time in a long time I need to look at purchasing. To do some professional work ... sports as well and landscape.

Canon v Nikon (ow that hurts I know)

and if I do stay in the Canon line the new 5D or go the 1D.....will the 1 really do that much more for me??

and if I go the Nikon way I am so out of touch I have no idea which model is best for what now.

Thanks
    heartyfisher
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by heartyfisher » Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:57 pm

Sigh.. tough question .. need more info on your current gear and budget.. esp. lenses that you have now.

but, hehe, to spark a Nikon vs Canon debate as your first post !! Thats just either demented or a stroke of genius :lol:
    Moments of Light : D7K D610 18-200 150 12-24 24-70 70-200 + C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.
    Bodak
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by Bodak » Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:44 pm

It's a shame that there are only two camera manufactures to choose from.
    I would have thought that some other bright sparks would have come up with a design to compete with these two.
    It really boils down to a flip of the coin as you will get the same which ever way you go. :P
    Be at peace. - Stephen.
    Web Site
    PPOK
  • Spill

by Spill » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:12 pm

It is a long story but I am now sans lenses or bodies, and my Nikon lenses are very old and I think we have to say beyond hope :-)

I like the full format sensor of the 5D and am not sure if Nikon have equaled it yet.

Finance wise.....more of a case of I will work out my top two options and work towards getting $$ to get there rather than work towards a budget. I don't really want to get anything less than a 5D so I will be budgeting away no matter what!
  • Walter Glover

by Walter Glover » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:32 pm

Spill, welcome,

You speak of a Canon 5D but you do not say if you intend to wait for the MkII to be readily available or to try and pick up a bargain on a MkI.

I have used a Canon EOS 5D since they were released a few years ago. I bought it because at the time it was the only affordable option offering a full 36x24 sensor.

Nikon now have the D3 and the D700 which are both full 36x24 sensor camera - and on Dec 1 it is rumoured that the D3X will be released with a higher pixel count.

There is no comparison, and if you are not burdened by a set of accessories and lenses then you are free to make the wise choice. Go with the Nikon. The D3 if you can afford it (especially for sports) and the D700 if you can't justify the extra bucks.

Nikon glass (particularly in shorter focal lengths) eclipses most of what Canon has on offer and I have no reason to doubt that it might be a similar story with longer focal lengths also.

There's a sports guy her called Darren who is a Kiwifamilyman (we try not to hold that against him too much) and he can steer you right.
  • avkomp

by avkomp » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:43 pm

I had the privilege to review the new 600f4 vr2 the week courtesy of nikon professional services.

I have previously tested the 1d3 canon and 500f4 IS

the mk3 is a crop body

so the 600f4 on the d3 @ full frame gave me near as dammit the same image size from the same points
    perhaps close enough for comparison

found the 600f4 to be an amazing lens,
    fast to focus, produced sharp images, true colours etc etc etc
    also found the vibration reduction in tripod mode worked well also

I didnt inflict the review on the forum or any images
    as I knew no one likes my birdy pix anyhow.

essentially I felt the big nikon glass is as good or better than the canon stuff,
    couple that with the D3s high iso performance
    (I easily got 1 stop better thant the mk3 with the d3)
    and you can see why lots of sports togs are changing their white lenses for the black ones.......
    heartyfisher
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by heartyfisher » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:34 pm

Its tough being without a camera :-(

What old nikkors do you have?

The D60 or D40 is cheap these days and should work with practically ALL old nikkors, more so than the more modern D300 D700 D3 etc. Although they are pretty compatible too. Grab one and mount the old nikkors and get shooting! .. then decide what camera you really want.

Check this thread out of Old Nikkors,.The oldest Nikkors often taken with D60/D40 http://photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00RUIB
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.
    Underload
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Underload » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:26 pm

Hearty, how could the consumer level D40 and D60 work with more lenses than the D300 and beyond? I'm not sure I follow you there.
    James - Nikon D200 - PP OK

by Guest » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:37 pm

In fact the D40 only works with AF-S Nikons or HSM Sigmas

If you can afford it I'd go the following bodies in this order

D3 (FX)
    D700 (FX)
    D300 (DX)
    D90 (DX)

For ISO < 2000 D300 is fine for sports, above 2000 there is no comparison with the D700 or D3. The D3 does focus faster than the D300 in all conditions.

The rest of Nikon

D2X
    D2Hs
    D200
    D80
    D70

etc etc

then if you are slightly strange

Canon

and if you are barking mad

The rest
  • who

by who » Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:25 am

It comes back also to what you can work with, and get the results from.

Sounds like you are used to Canon.... so you have familiarity with that system.

But you can equally consider Nikon gear, which is what I have and also look at the consider better.....

There a good range of Nikon gear now - it depends on what you want in lenses (primes vs zooms) - as Nikon haven't updated their prime range in quite a long time, but have some new zooms out to match their FX bodies (D700 / D3).

As a zoom combo - in Nikon lenses - you have the 14-24 f2.8 at about $2290 (ECS) 24-70 f2.8 at $2195 -- these are both excellent zooms.

Then there is the 70-200 f2.8 VR lens for $2395 -- although this has some bad rep as being soft in the corners on a FX body -- I am not sure how true and realistic this comment is. It is also rumoured that this lens will be upgraded sometime (as happened with the 24-70, which replaced the 28-70 f2.8 last year).

In primes - The 85 f1.4 is very good based on all the pics I have seen from it.

Longer than that, you have choices which are either big dollars or slower lenses :wink: Depending on how much length and speed you want and can afford. Bearing in mind, you can push high ISO on the better bodies, so even an 80-400 VR (f5.6 at the long end) may do for your sport shooting?

Bodies - ECS in Sydney advertise the cheapest Aus prices for genuine Nikon Aus stock I know of.... www.cameras.net.au

I have also heard on forums that some other AU B&M stores are very keen in pricing too - Ted's is one I have heard the name of..... doesn't hurt to ask, that is for sure.

Some prices - D3 $5950, D700 $3395, D300 $2195.

The other big area is flashes -- The SB-900 is the latest, greatest and largest :razz:

Anyway, good luck in your decisions and if you have specific questions on gear ask away as there is probably someone here who has or has used the gear you want to know about......
    Ian
    D200, Sigma 10-20, 18-200VR, 50f1.8, etc.....
  • Walter Glover

by Walter Glover » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:48 am

who wrote:The other big area is flashes -- The SB-900 is the latest, greatest and largest :razz

All good info Ian,

EXCEPT, the SB900 is not as powerful in actual flash out put ..... AND it has proven problematic worldwide. SB 800 might be a preferable option.

by Guest » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:35 am

who wrote:It comes back also to what you can work with, and get the results from.

Sounds like you are used to Canon.... so you have familiarity with that system.

But you can equally consider Nikon gear, which is what I have and also look at the consider better.....

There a good range of Nikon gear now - it depends on what you want in lenses (primes vs zooms) - as Nikon haven't updated their prime range in quite a long time, but have some new zooms out to match their FX bodies (D700 / D3).

As a zoom combo - in Nikon lenses - you have the 14-24 f2.8 at about $2290 (ECS) 24-70 f2.8 at $2195 -- these are both excellent zooms.

Then there is the 70-200 f2.8 VR lens for $2395 -- although this has some bad rep as being soft in the corners on a FX body -- I am not sure how true and realistic this comment is. It is also rumoured that this lens will be upgraded sometime (as happened with the 24-70, which replaced the 28-70 f2.8 last year).

In primes - The 85 f1.4 is very good based on all the pics I have seen from it.

Longer than that, you have choices which are either big dollars or slower lenses :wink: Depending on how much length and speed you want and can afford. Bearing in mind, you can push high ISO on the better bodies, so even an 80-400 VR (f5.6 at the long end) may do for your sport shooting?

Bodies - ECS in Sydney advertise the cheapest Aus prices for genuine Nikon Aus stock I know of.... www.cameras.net.au

I have also heard on forums that some other AU B&M stores are very keen in pricing too - Ted's is one I have heard the name of..... doesn't hurt to ask, that is for sure.

Some prices - D3 $5950, D700 $3395, D300 $2195.

The other big area is flashes -- The SB-900 is the latest, greatest and largest :razz:

Anyway, good luck in your decisions and if you have specific questions on gear ask away as there is probably someone here who has or has used the gear you want to know about......

Good advice.

The 70-200 is stellar on FX, don't worry about that. Maybe a bit of vignetting stopped down shooting say landscapes, but, few would use it for that I'd imagine.

I'm on a couple of Nikon forums and have not heard much about problems with the Sb-900 Walter ?
    heartyfisher
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by heartyfisher » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:13 am

kiwifamily wrote:In fact the D40 only works with AF-S Nikons or HSM Sigmas

If you can afford it I'd go the following bodies in this order

D3 (FX)
    D700 (FX)
    D300 (DX)
    D90 (DX)

Underload wrote:Hearty, how could the consumer level D40 and D60 work with more lenses than the D300 and beyond? I'm not sure I follow you there.

Thats the beauty of the D40/D60. They work with the oldest Nikkors that the newest nikons cant work with.

Check out Ken Rockwells review here http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d40.htm

Excerpt ..
    -----
    Lens Compatibility

My D40 only autofocuses with the latest AF-S lenses, and also the the older, professional, AF-I lenses.

You'll have to focus manually with traditional AF lenses, which means forget about older lenses except macros (I always focus those manually) and fisheyes and ultrawides (easy to focus).

Every AF lens made in the past 20 years meters and exposes perfectly; it's just the autofocus which won't work.

Every manual focus lens made since 1959 also works fine, if you don't mind focusing by hand and guessing at the exposure.

------
    greyko
    Cadet
    Cadet

by greyko » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:46 pm

heartyfisher wrote:it's just the autofocus which won't work.

Every manual focus lens made since 1959 also works fine, if you don't mind focusing by hand and guessing at the exposure.

I think when most people consider a lens to work with a camera, they think of the autofocus and the metering.
    Yes, the Pre AI lenses can be put on the D60 and you can take photos with it so long as you guess the exposure or have an external meter, but I don't see that as a reason to buy the body. D200/300/700/3 while they don't work with the pre AI, AI, AI-S and E lenses will meter on those bodies. Obviously no af, they're manual lenses.

While all the new zooms are AF-S as are the updated primes, it still leaves a huge gap in what you can't autofocus with.

If nothing less than a 5D will do, the D60 just isn't in the equation in any case.

I'd be going for a D3. The high iso performance is just out of this world. The new 5D mkII has the high ISO settings, but does it come close to what you'd get out of the D3? It'll be interesting to see how the new Nikon being announced in a week compares as well.
  • Al

by Al » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:35 am

Well I'm going to make it short and sweet.
    Walk into a shop, ask to look at both the Cannon and Nikon (5d, D3, whatever else), pick them up, flick some switches, hold them for a while.
    Buy the one that feels like it suits your hand best. Where the buttons are intuitive, and are placed where you think they should be.
    I don't think the difference in quality at this level is going to worry you as much when you keep on hitting that annoying button that ____ placed right where your fingers rest, or the grip that gives you a cramp every time you hold it for more than a few minutes, especially with some heavy glass on it.

$0.02