40D or 50D
    Canon400D
    Cadet
    Cadet

40D or 50D

by Canon400D » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:26 pm

hi guys,

have sold my 400d and looking to upgrade and was wondering if any one here has got either the 40 or 50D or has used both. Is the extra money worth it for the extra features.

any comments would be great.

Thank you in advance. :?
    50D, 18-55mm, 70-300mm and 100mm macro

Les
  • Fusionize
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Fusionize » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:50 pm

well the fact it isn't plastic makes it worth the extra money, also much easier to use then the 400/450d
  • erth

by erth » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:06 pm

From experience the 40d is a great upgrade in terms of handling.. but image quality is not very different to the 400d. I like the 40d cos it is so much more robust, and fits better in the hand.
    Canon400D
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Canon400D » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:11 pm

thanks guys is it worth paying the extra $$ for the 50d or is it better to get the 40d with a kit lense 18-75mm usm i think?

Les
    Ken182
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Ken182 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:53 am

Be aware that Canon issued the 50D to sit in the market place between the 40D and the 5D.

So it is not meant to replace the 40D as a model.

As for the lens, this would depend on what you already have and what subjects you like to shoot.

I nice point was made in chat the other night about some people suffering from "IGOTAitis" be certain not to slip down this path. Think about what it is you want to achieve/create then seek the tools.
    In a forum, no one can hear you scream!

http://www.kensphotoblog2013.com/
    Dalzine
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Dalzine » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:52 am

A qualifier, I don't own either camera but I'm in pretty much the same quandry as you.

The 50D has a better lcd screen and better use of liveview. This is a bonus if you're doing something that lets you compose using the screen instead of the viewfinder.

The 50D has more megapixels than the 40D so if you you want to do something that requires greater detail then the 50D is for you.

However, the 50D uses a different type of noise reduction which can make your photos a little softer than what the 40D produces.

Obviously the filesize of photos produced by the 50D are larger than the 40D. This also means the framerate is a touch slower than the 40D, but probably not a big enough difference for your average photographer to notice.

The 40D is significantly cheaper than the 50D.

I hope this helps.

Dale.
    Will build websites for 'L' glass.
  • Fusionize
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Fusionize » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:34 am

AussieTimmeh

by AussieTimmeh » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:16 am

I just went through this debate myself, and thanks to some feedback from members here, ended up ordering a 40D this morning. When a 40D is under $1100 and a 50D is closer to $1600, you really have to want the 50D.

Great link, confirmed my choice, thanks.
    Ken182
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Ken182 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:40 am

Dalzine, if you would like a wider response from people have a think about your photography. My suggestion is to list here so three lists:

What photography you like to do - list of 3

What photography you would like to do - list of 3

What photography you are actually doing - list of 3

What was the last 3 things you photographed

If you are new to photography and are still trying to sort out the above, maybe alternatively some thoughts on what attracted you to photography in the first place.

Hopefully then other forum members can have a think and put forward suggestions that have taken in where you are at.

Ken182
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Ken182 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:41 am

AussieTimmeh wrote:I just went through this debate myself, and thanks to some feedback from members here, ended up ordering a 40D this morning. When a 40D is under $1100 and a 50D is closer to $1600, you really have to want the 50D.

Great link, confirmed my choice, thanks.

Yes very good website and well written article, I think other well known sites need a to have a clean out of their reviewers.

Dalzine
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Dalzine » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:16 pm

Ken182 wrote:Dalzine, if you would like a wider response from people have a think about your photography. My suggestion is to list here so three lists:

If you are new to photography and are still trying to sort out the above, maybe alternatively some thoughts on what attracted you to photography in the first place.

Hopefully then other forum members can have a think and put forward suggestions that have taken in where you are at.

Not sure if you meant to reference me or not but I'm not asking for help on camera choice at the moment.

I am looking at upgrading in the new year but for what I do I would be better off keeping the 400D and trying to pick up a good quality secondhand 5D as my photography is leading me towards landscapes.

I can see that glass is more important than the body and I'm quietly surprised at how well the 400D has been doing, especially considering I'm only using a nifty fifty and my trusty Tokina 12-24mm.

I am looking into off camera flash photography but again it will have to wait until the new year.

Dale.
    Will build websites for 'L' glass.
    Ken182
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Ken182 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:05 pm

Dalzine wrote:
    Ken182 wrote:Dalzine, if you would like a wider response from people have a think about your photography. My suggestion is to list here so three lists:

Not sure if you meant to reference me or not but I'm not asking for help on camera choice at the moment.

I am looking at upgrading in the new year but for what I do I would be better off keeping the 400D and trying to pick up a good quality secondhand 5D as my photography is leading me towards landscapes.

I can see that glass is more important than the body and I'm quietly surprised at how well the 400D has been doing, especially considering I'm only using a nifty fifty and my trusty Tokina 12-24mm.

I am looking into off camera flash photography but again it will have to wait until the new year.

Dale.

No, however you obviously have given your needs more thought than a pressure decision from a Canon marketing exercise.

I used a 350D in pro work for 3 years and nobody knew the difference, I have a student/tortured peer(?) who won 2 national awards this year using a 350D.

So as we both know its not the gear it is the shooter.

My earlier post is an exercise I give to students or peers who are having quandaries and need to touch base with their own reality.

Canon400D
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Canon400D » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:43 pm

[quote="Ken182"]Dalzine, if you would like a wider response from people have a think about your photography. My suggestion is to list here so three lists:

Landscapes, macro, waterfalls

landscapes, macro sport events

landscape, macro, night shots

moon, bugs, car

Les
    Ken182
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Ken182 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:09 pm

Canon400D wrote:

Landscapes, macro, waterfalls

landscapes, macro sport events

landscape, macro, night shots

moon, bugs, car

Okay to be accurate a waterfall is a landscape, but I get what you are saying

The sports thing sounds nice but how often do you go to sports that you would photograph?

The 40D can do all of this and more, I just don't see where a 50D for the extra bucks would help you. The 40 and the 50 have the same frame rate.

Given your answers do you come to the same conclusion?

These same questions and answers can be applied to lenses that you are lusting after.

Do you realise your 100mm can be used for portraiture as well.

Canon400D
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Canon400D » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:59 pm

Ken,
    I totaly understand your point.
    i have save $2000 was saving for the new 5D but realised that it's not the camera that makes the image but the user. i recently sold my 400D to my father as his camera has gone bye bye. My point is if i have the money is it better to go for the 15 megapixels and a few extra features as this will no doubt be the only camera i will have for the next 10 years if the wife has it her way, so i thought if i get some thing newish it shouldent get superceted too quick and if it does i still have a reasnoble camera.

Les