For Beginners
  • kirby_lambourn

For Beginners

by kirby_lambourn » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:52 pm

I am only a beginner to the world of DSLR photography and am struggling to get unbiased and unpretencious assistance from the photography experts :roll: (sorry to the guy at camera house but I don't have time to listen to you for half and hour while you proceed to ignore the fact that I don't have $3000 to spend on camera equipment). I have just purchased a canon DSLR 600D so I can expand on my family albums (especially the lil ones), travel photography and combine my love of painting with photography aswell. Is there anyone who could offer me some friendly advice on what lenses are the most suitable for beginners and which ones are the best for a lil bit of everything in photography. As I am only a beginning I am not very fussy and am not skilled enough to appreciate the full potential of DSLR just yet. Hopefully with some experience I will be on this website to answer future beginners questions. :?
    Dug
    Senior Photojournalist
    Senior Photojournalist

Re: For Beginners

by Dug » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:54 pm

Do you have any lens lenses accessories at all or just the camera body ?
    "Photography to the amateur is recreation, to the professional it is work, and hard work too, no matter how pleasurable it may be."

Edward Weston

( Total NIKON bigot )

PPOK
    dm_td5
    Cadet
    Cadet

by dm_td5 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:41 pm

Here's two ways to learn but both have one thing in common - PRACTICE.

Use the scene mode on the camera. Look at what you've taken, note the settings the camera thought best to use. Change to manual and try to duplicate the shot or improve on it. Then practice what you've learnt.

The other is buy a guide book (sorry can't help with Canon) read a bit and go out and practice it, read a a bit more and have some more practice.
    Derek - Nikon, Manfrotto, RRS, Apple *- PPOK -*
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:35 pm

In addition to the above, you don't 'need' anything more just yet, I am a believe of buying something new when a) you know why you need it b) you know the gear you have can't do what it is that you specifically want to do c) when you think you can grow into the new bit of gear.

If anything, you might want to look as some of the cheaper prime (non zoom) lenses.

Not sure on the offerings for your camera but a wide normal or slight tele photo would be the goods. Shoot for a while and see where your main focal range ends up being.

You will find that the larger apertures will allow you to get some nice results without breaking the bank.
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
  • kirby_lambourn

by kirby_lambourn » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:50 pm

To answer to my first reply I have purchased my canon with the standard 18-55mm lens and all the necessary accessories to go with it (carry bag, sd car etc). I also have 2 lenses being sent my way from a family member who no longer uses them.
    zoom ef 18-200mm f/4-5.6
    ef 75-300mm f/4-5.6

I have been advised these lenses are suited for long action shots. Has anyone got any advise or opinions on these 3 lenses. I am hoping that these lenses will allow me to get started so I can expand my knowledge and experience. Unfortunately I am yet to get started has I am waiting for my lenses to arrive so any bit of advice helps before I can start to practice.

thanx
    sprint06
    Cadet
    Cadet

by sprint06 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:47 am

There is a lot of good second hand gear out there as you progress and don't want to spend a fortune on new kit
    Don.
    CC welcome.
    _Pentax k5
    now a granddad and loving it
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:29 am

You've got enough to get going, get out and start shooting then you will know if you need more or less or what it is you are lacking.

What suits me won't suit you nor the next person so until you start getting into it you co ill spend thousands and still not have the right gear.
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
  • kirby_lambourn

by kirby_lambourn » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:13 pm

Excellent you have been a great help. I Will take everything onboard and hopefully I will be on here again shortly with some new photos :)
  • BenV.2

by BenV.2 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:09 pm

That 18-200 is my walk around lens.
    I've also got a 50mm F1.4, which I love for specific types of shots.