Canon 70D - It's real and it lives....
  • philwillmedia

Canon 70D - It's real and it lives....

by philwillmedia » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:53 pm

Had a short play with a 70D last week at a product launch

All taken with the 18-135 EF-s
    Jpegs straight out of the camera with no editing of any kind except for resizing for the constraints of the forum and uploaded from facebook.

Inside, no flash

Taken through shop window using on-board pop-up flash.

And some thoughts...

It's pretty difficult to give a proper evaluation as I only had use of it for about 20 minutes add to that, the fact that it was raining fairly hard at times, I didn't want to expose it to the elements as it was essentially a demo model and was the only one the camera shop was getting.
    It did get a few spots of rain on it, but nothing to cause any issue or that would test the weather proofing capabilities.

A proper evaluation would need a few days testing in various situations but a few thoughts from the short time I used it...

I liked the feel of it in the hand even and it didn't appear too heavy, although that wouldn't be hard coming from using mainly 1 Series bodies or XXD series with grips.
    The body I was using was un-gripped and would no doubt feel even better with a grip attached.

The focus was pretty quick to lock on to the subject and the AI Servo did a stellar job in tracking, albeit the street traffic was moving at only roughly 50kph (30mph).

A really useful addition for the average user is the lock on the program dial to help prevent it accidently getting knocked to a different setting when taking in/out of the camera bag etc, (or if errant kids try to play with it) although this took a little getting used to, but that is just like anything new.
    It's easy to use - a simple press of the button to release it and then turn to the desired setting.

The flip out screen is a decent size and clarity and seems to be fairly robust.
    However, because of the flip out screen, I don't like the placement of the review and delete buttons which are on the opposite side to most other Canon bodies.

The onboard pop-up flash seemed to do a reasonable job with a half decent recycle time, but it still doesn't compare to an external flash.

The live view facial recognition feature appeared to be fairly spot on, but I'd need to do a proper test to give any really useful feedback on how good it actually is.

Unfortunately I didn't really get to try high ISO or to set any custom functions.

The colour rendition of images is pretty good, especially given that the lens was not a top of the line L Series but the 18-135 EF-s which it comes with.

Although it has a smaller rear scroll wheel than other Canon bodies, it wasn't really noticable and didn't cause any probs with usability.

I didn't get to try the video function so unable to give any thoughts on it.

The final analysis based on the use I had of it...
    It's a pretty good piece of kit and I feel those who get it will be pretty happy campers.
    Regards,
    Phil

2011 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Accredited Photographer
    2009 Catch Fence Photo of the Year | 2008, 2009 & 2010 SA Rally Photographer of the Year

http://www.freewebs.com/philwillmedia
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

Re: Canon 70D - It's real and it lives....

by W G » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:21 am

Interested parties can get the duck's nuts of reviews here:

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-70d
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi
  • philwillmedia

by philwillmedia » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:11 pm

Nothing like a good hand grenade...
    I was expecting as much.
    Regards,
    Phil

2011 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Accredited Photographer
    2009 Catch Fence Photo of the Year | 2008, 2009 & 2010 SA Rally Photographer of the Year

http://www.freewebs.com/philwillmedia
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by beeb » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:30 pm

And just as predictable a response from yourself. :roll:

Maybe WG was trying to provide a little more insight into the new model given you lacked time to give the camera a more thorough review?
    LOZ
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by LOZ » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:38 pm

philwillmedia it looks like the 70D has the same focusing problems as your other cameras

just saying :mrgreen:
    Calm down its not real life its a internet forum:)
    trac44
    Cadet
    Cadet

by trac44 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:18 pm

Cheers
    Norm
    PPOK - images OK
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:22 pm

I notice in the first two images are heavily artifacted. Not overly impressive performance for mine.

I've not used the lens you used so its hard to compare image quality otherwise, combined with the panning/low shutter speed its hard to know whats what.

[Moderator voice]

I see no issue with Walters addition to the thread, you stated your post was based on 20 mins and would need further testing, one would assume the guys at DP didn't have the same constraints.

Beeb all clear

Loz is being his usual sh!t stirring self but nothing offensive, given is was a test drive not sure why you panned the outside images? That for me would lead to murky results in image quality that wouldn't let me know where to look for answers given the indoor images would have required the high iso, which again would give murky results.

Trc 44 - WHERES THE BAN BUTTON :P (just kidding all clear)

[/Mod voice off]

Play on
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by W G » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:39 pm

If the OP piqued an interest for some then I thought it fair enough to post a link to a more detailed (detailed to within an inch of its life, perhaps) assessment.

A major function of a forum like this is sharing information ..... especially about consumer kit.
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:13 pm

I think the news on this camera is the 20.2 mpx sensor, which going buy the rumor mill is what the 7DmkII will have.

Also the new Live view focus system, namely the Dual Pixel AF system.

This could be Canon's trump card in their next foray into mirrorless.

Control layout is almost identical to my 6D which has just one extra button, a dedicated magnifier button.