7D upgrade?
  • kwizikle

7D upgrade?

by kwizikle » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:23 am

Been having a blast now back into photography with 650D and 7D...

Very disappointed with results from two kit lenses that came with 650D.

7D came with 18-135 EF-S lens... ok but not what I remember in the days of film...

Then got a 70-200mm f2.8 L IS II lens... love it... awesome results

Then got a F1.4 50mm.... having fun with that too but terrible around F1.4, - clarity excellent at F2 and greater - love the depth of field and is great with APS-C for portrait lens.

Now to the big question, I want more pixels for landscape and portrait work... thinking of getting 6D. would love 5Dmk111 but really out of my budget??? anyone got a 6D and wants to comment?

I will still keep 7D for sports photography due to shutter speed and bonus magnification!

LENSES

Also thinking of using the 6D with 24-105 F4 L series for landscape and some portrait work...??? again any feedback?

Also what is everyone using for macro in full frame???... I am thinking of 100mm F2.8 USM macro. has anyone used this on APS-C?

Finally, on wishlist is 135L F2 for portrait work... is it really as good as the camera shop tells me it is?

Thanks in advance for any comments and feedback...
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

Re: 7D upgrade?

by Plays with Light » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:46 pm

kwizikle wrote:Now to the big question, I want more pixels for landscape and portrait work... thinking of getting 6D. would love 5Dmk111 but really out of my budget??? anyone got a 6D and wants to comment?

I will still keep 7D for sports photography due to shutter speed and bonus magnification!

LENSES

Also thinking of using the 6D with 24-105 F4 L series for landscape and some portrait work...??? again any feedback?

Also what is everyone using for macro in full frame???... I am thinking of 100mm F2.8 USM macro. has anyone used this on APS-C?

I can't say enough good about the 6D. As long as you have no intentions of it being for action photography where you need lots of focal points, it's the bomb, especially for the price. The 24-105 on the 6D works a treat for landscape and architectural. I'd like a little more width again and even a fisheye, however for architectural I'd prefer a tilt-shift lens, to avoid straightening in post. I can't help you with portraits, I don't do people.

There is the Tamron 90mm SP VC for about $600 if you buy as a grey import, which was designed for fullframe bodies. It's optically as good as the Canon 100mm L IS, quite a bit cheaper and still 1:1. With extension tubes you are filling the frame with about 15mm's of stuff.
    Feedback and honest, constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.
  • kwizikle

by kwizikle » Tue May 13, 2014 2:31 am

Ok so saved my pennies and bought a 6D. Just tried a couple of handheld night shots at 10,000 ISO with 24/70 L II lens. Unbelievable results...better than 7D at 400 ISO. The 7D is going to be put into storage apart from sports photography! Also loved the quiet mode. Can't wait to try out wifi link to iPad!
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Tue May 13, 2014 8:43 am

Enjoy the 6D.
    I use one also and I'm very happy with it.
    You can't go wrong with a 24-70 2.8 II and a 70-200mm f2.8 L IS II.

The 135 f2.0 is supposed to be very good particularly at its price, but I don't know how much it would offer you over the 70-200mm f2.8 L IS II other than adding weight to the camera bag.
    Last edited by Doug on Tue May 13, 2014 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Tue May 13, 2014 5:02 pm

I have APS-C (550d) and love the 100mm 2.8 macro , it is also said to be a great portrait lens to boot even though I feel it would be perfectly suited to the full frame for portraits as at the equivalent of 160mm on APS-C it is just a bit too close (for me that is).

I have the old non IS / USM version and love it.

eden
    I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
  • kwizikle

by kwizikle » Wed May 14, 2014 12:03 am

Eden wrote:I have APS-C (550d) and love the 100mm 2.8 macro , it is also said to be a great portrait lens to boot even though I feel it would be perfectly suited to the full frame for portraits as at the equivalent of 160mm on APS-C it is just a bit too close (for me that is).

I have the old non IS / USM version and love it.

eden

That's a great lens Eden - It's the next on the shopping list for portrait work...

I have been using a 50mm 1.4 on APS-C for portrait work which I really like. Don't like the grainyness (is that a word?) once I enlarge to A1/A2 size on APS-C. However if I am doing some shots for B/W I turn up the ISO - very little post production needed... :) Fantastic for up to A4-A3 if you don't crop too much. Don't really use below 2.8 as the focus is too narrow for most things below that.

Bought the 6D for Landscape / portrait work... looking forward to playing...