canon 10-22 or sigma 8-16
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:49 pm

Here is my problem

I take a b4 and after of all the installs I do and find it hard with the small spaces im in to get a wide enough capture even using the 15-85

these two shots are using the phone ( samsung s4 ) as it gets slightly more in the shot than the 15mm end of the real camera lens

20131106_084604 by MrStinkybait, on Flickr

20131107_163344 by MrStinkybait, on Flickr

so as you can see the AFTER shot has me climbing into the top corner of the room to get the protruding cabinets into the shot (nearly :( ) and scraping the cellar spiders and dead carcases from the back of my head

the question is

without post processing to start with
    but with minimal distortion out of the camera (or am I asking to much?)

the price is not a factor as I am going to claim the lens as a work deduction for tax

any opinions or experience with either or both lenses would be of great help

cheers eden
    I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

Re: canon 10-22 or sigma 8-16

by W G » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:07 pm

A mate has the Sigma and raves about it. I'm dining with him tomorrow night and I'll see if he is still as happy.
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi
  • Simsy
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Simsy » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:14 pm

I have the Sigma 10-20mm it has been a good lens. you are welcome to borrow the lens and camera to see if it is any better than what you have of course the 8-16 is slightly wider. just another thought have you tried using the Panno setting on your phone to see if that can get a decent image wide enough.
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:52 pm

Thank you Walter much appreciated, I will wait with bated breath !

Yeah Simsy I gave it a thought but in shity light and confined spaces the phone gets crappy colour blotches as you can see on the wall near the corner in the first shot

The other reason I am going to bother with a big purchase (for me anyhow) lens is I will learn how to do some time lapse clips between the b4 and After shots. I will pick up an aftermarket battery grip so I have 2 batteries and see how that gets me through a 10 hr day at a shot every 30 seconds

I picked up a timer remote switch for $17 (postage included)

With the lead up to silly season I honestly think the camera is the only thing keeping me sane !

:?
    I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
    ion_mihaila

by ion_mihaila » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:39 pm

On the time-lapse front may I suggest to shoot video and speed it up to your liking. On a renovation job that may take few weeks at 30 secs a shot your shutter count will go to the roof pretty soon. If you have a laptop with built-in web-cam you can use that to record video. You have almost unlimited storage and power and usually the web-cams are pretty wide. Just a suggestion.

A ultra wide angle lens is something fun to use in photography nevertheless. I have the Sigma 10-20 and is really nice.

Cheers.
    C & C , PPOK welcome
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Plays with Light » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:08 am

Have you thought about the Tokina 11-16mm for your APS-C? It was my fave crop sensor lens. Cheap and bloody good. Prone to a little sun flare, but with a bit of thinking, it's not an issue, especially in kitchens! :wink:
    Feedback and honest, constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:37 pm

Hi Alex

I have the efs 15-85 so i would be paying for 4mm of wide angle and I wonder If the 8-16 would cover the gap more and get a place in the walk around shoulder sling/bag I use

Ive read good reviews on the 11-16 and still have it in the back of my mind due to its performance v price.

the canon 10-22 has a great reputation from the reviews also and from what I have read has minimal distortion to boot.

Its hard to pick through the reveiws with my newbie limited experience and understanding of the terminology along with hands on experience but I think I am leaning towards the sigma 8-16 for its ultra wide (to me) and its overlap with the 15-85, then all I need to do is build a kitchen for someone as a swap for a ......100 - 400 IS USM then along with my pre (IS/USM) 100mm macro I think I will have my full bag of tricks ( or enough to keep a chiropractor in business anyhow).

===============================================================

Hi Ion

Im lacking any knowledge on the time lapse stuff yet but I was trying some of the maths out and a shot every 30 seconds (1 min may be ample or 90 seconds) works out to 120 shots per hour and 960 frames per 8 hour day,, that Kitchen shown took 17 hours to build from the time I walked in and saw all the boxes so that would give me 2040 frames

2040 frames at 24/frames per second would give a clip of 85 seconds

so if shot at 1 frame/min that would be 42.5 seconds

Is this right or am I missing something ? :oops:

cheers Eden
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:06 pm

I have the efs 15-85 so i would be paying for 4mm of wide angle and I wonder If the 8-16 would cover the gap more and get a place in the walk around shoulder sling/bag I use

4mm is still 8.5 degrees a side of extra viewing angle over your 15-85. so it could be the extra you need.
    Looking here: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Revi ... =474&FLI=5 the Sigma 8-16 has amazingly good low distortion at 12mm and even 10mm compared to the Tokina at 11mm

The Canon 10-20mm looks better than both the others in a 10 and 12mm comparison.
    ion_mihaila

by ion_mihaila » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:03 pm

Hi Eden,
    I don't know much about time-lapse either. I did few for fun and found out that speeding up a video was easier for me to process. A quick google and I found some info and a calculator (at the bottom of the page) http://www.time-science.com/timescience/timelapse.asp#

I'm sure there are many others. One thing I can think of now for your project is to keep an eye on the aperture, focus distance and exposure. Normally I would lock everything but the light might change during the day. I didn't realize a job like that can be done in 17h, good to know. :)
    C & C , PPOK welcome