Canonical Query
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

Canonical Query

by Plays with Light » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:27 pm

Nothing sacred, but rather, seeking others experience, opinions and advice.

I'm about to start a course in photography through the use of film. We have to commence with a 35mm SLR camera and as I have a few choice (well, choice to my impoverished eyes) lenses of the Canon EF mount, I wondered if I should look at a Canon EOS film body, in order to be able to use my existing kit for this stage of my learning.

The two bodies I am interested in, from a rather quick investigation late last night:

[pad]
      A2/5 (not the A2e)
      EOS3
    [/pad]

As this is only going to be an introductory camera, for me to learn some basics of using film, I don't want to blow wads of cash on it. By the same token, it would be nice to be able to use my current lenses and kit with it.

So, have at it ladies and gents, regale me with your sage counsel. Thanks in advance for any responses.
    Feedback and honest, constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

Re: Canonical Query

by Doug » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:44 pm

I have not got a Canon body or I would just loan you one till you worked out if you want your own.
    I have 4 slr,s here and a range finder, the one in best condition is an Olympus OM10 with a 50mm.
    The only one with more than one lens is a Nikon F with an additional 135mm f2.8, but its metal shutter blind has a tiny nick in it that puts a small light leak on the film.

When you get to roll film you can use my Bronica ETR 6x 4.5 (chrome body) kit if you like. It has a 50mm wide, 75mm Std, 250mm med tele and two backs.
    Also eye and waist level view finders and a speed grip. I just need to find a new 6v battery for it.

http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Zenza_Bronica_ETR

I don't have experience with 35mm cameras past the 70's.
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Plays with Light » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:03 am

Doug wrote:I have not got a Canon body or I would just loan you one till you worked out if you want your own.
    I have 4 slr,s here and a range finder, the one in best condition is an Olympus OM10 with a 50mm.
    The only one with more than one lens is a Nikon F with an additional 135mm f2.8, but its metal shutter blind has a tiny nick in it that puts a small light leak on the film.

When you get to roll film you can use my Bronica ETR 6x 4.5 (chrome body) kit if you like. It has a 50mm wide, 75mm Std, 250mm med tele and two backs.
    Also eye and waist level view finders and a speed grip. I just need to find a new 6v battery for it.

http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Zenza_Bronica_ETR

I don't have experience with 35mm cameras past the 70's.

Wow, thanks for the offer, Doug! That makes two kind souls on here that have offered similarly to me tonight! :wink:

I'll definitely have to arrange a time to chew your ear as and when I have a bit of a grip on things and am looking to move up larger than 35mm. Currently looking at a few EOS 1n's going for the $100 mark out of the states, spot metering, focus notification and accurate exposure are important to me. I have already sussed out that the EOS A2 had a lack of metering accuracy or scale to it, because Canon didn't want to pay for the patent on that! I'm looking solely at the Japanese version of that one too, which actually has an exposure scale integrated, they can be gotten for under $50!

Will the lenses I have currently be OK to use with the older EOS bodies? I'm not so fussed about autofocus, I rarely ever use it as a practice. From what I can discern, I should be OK, with my current lenses.
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:14 am

Plays with Light wrote:
    Doug wrote:
    Will the lenses I have currently be OK to use with the older EOS bodies? I'm not so fussed about autofocus, I rarely ever use it as a practice. From what I can discern, I should be OK, with my current lenses.

My first Canon was a Canon AE1 released in 1976, then I had an even older Nikon F as my happy snap camera while I was using the Bronica for hobby shots.
    So I missed the whole EOS introduction to film cameras. Its been all digital since getting the 350D.

Wiki says the first EOS was in 1987 with the EOS 650 camera. Why experience with film is pre bodies talking to the lens other than light metering.
    Cameras before all the AF bizzo where basic and functional, the metering and max shutter speed where really the only things that differentiated them as selling points.
    Manual focus on these cameras is a breeze with their manual focus screens.
    The thing to remember with film is the camera body has no bearing on image quality other than exposure, the film does all the work.
    It is the choice of film that determines, sensitivity, grain, colour, contrast, dynamic range etc.

My minimal research says that All EF (not EFs) lenses work on all EOS cameras (film or digital)
    If you don't think you will use AF then personally I would not get too hung up on a film EOS camera body spec's, though it's likely even the best ones are affordable.
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by W G » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:47 pm

Gee, gotta say I have always hated Canon with a passion. But I can see that you are in a bit of a bind.

35mm is never much chop with film, anyway. I have had 'em all, from new, Leica included.
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Plays with Light » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:11 pm

W G wrote:Gee, gotta say I have always hated Canon with a passion. But I can see that you are in a bit of a bind.

35mm is never much chop with film, anyway. I have had 'em all, from new, Leica included.

Actually, I ended up getting a fully working, serviced and guaranteed Pentax ME Super, with a 50mm f/1.8 and a 28mm f/2.8 lens to do me for this component of my studies, for under $100 delivered. Next year I get to play with the large format stuff in its place! That'll be a lot of fun, lugging that kit around on public transport! I'm thinking I might need a trolley of some sort for the case. Finally found a public darkroom too! $35 a day for the use of the facilities, bring your own paper. Enlargers can take film going up to 24", or somewhere huge like that.

My next queries will be around film to explore for architecture and landscapes. I'll get another thread going, soon.

35mm is the stock starting point for this course, no choice there. I'm really looking forward to the learning curve and now, using Geoff's old Light Meter won't seem so out of character!
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by W G » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:40 pm

I'd say that the Pentax is perfect for what you are going to be doing. Most photo colleges started people out an a Pentax K1000 with that 50mm lens.

Olympus reflexes are good too.

I use a fold-up trolley for the 4x5 quite often. I have two trolleys of different sizes for in case I have to lug lights as well.

Bungy chords are your friend.

Cheers, and best of luck,
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi
    DJT
    Reporter
    Reporter

by DJT » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:49 pm

How exciting, enjoy & good luck on your journey
    David
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:39 am

I'm glad you went a bit old school, there is a nice connection to the process that comes with film and basic camera operation.
    I was not familiar with this particular model, the shutter speed selection looks a bit gimmicky with its up / down button instead of a dial and no way to tell the speed selected without using the view finder.
    By all accounts the camera is nice and small and the view finder is generously large.
    Great price also.

I'm sure you will have a lot of fun with it.
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Plays with Light » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:02 am

It is a bit of a gimmick, Doug. I wanted the MX model or the 1000 but couldn't afford them. I intend to only use this with the eyepiece as its manual lenses. Really looking forward to the challenges and consequent changes to my digital efforts. Four weeks or so to go.
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Plays with Light » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:06 am

Thanks, Walter & David. I'm really looking forward to the journey ahead. Have been investigating teeny tiny home processing setups too.
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:02 pm

Are you going to post one of your first captures with it for us :paparrazi: :)

Im enjoying your photographic travels Alex and still peek back at the macro shots you took not so long ago as they are very nice indeed.

Eden
    I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
  • Sydney Portraits

by Sydney Portraits » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:49 pm

I had a Canon EOS 5 years ago that I loved. It had a great feel to it and could auto-focus in almost complete darkness. Just my two cents...
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Plays with Light » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:38 am

Sydney Portraits wrote:I had a Canon EOS 5 years ago that I loved. It had a great feel to it and could auto-focus in almost complete darkness. Just my two cents...

I'm actually wanting to go the other way with my film journey and want full manual everything. I really want to reinforce the guidelines and laws by which this magic works.