Fuji XA-1 v Canon eos M
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Fuji XA-1 v Canon eos M

by Eden » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:58 pm

Im getting Annie a camera and have been doing the usual reading

Im torn between the Fuji XA-1 and the Canon eos M

both have ef/efs and fd adapters available easily.

There is not much else in the way of pros and cons apart from what I have listed below that I am aware of.
    ( I do however prefer the colours the Fuji produces)

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

cheers Eden

Advantages of the Canon EOS M

External mic jack Has an external mic jack Yes vs No
    Record high quality audio with an external microphone

Touch screen Has a touch screen Yes vs No
    Fewer buttons to worry about and direct interaction with camera menus

Supports 24p Supports 24p Yes vs No
    Get that real film feel

HDR Has in-camera HDR Yes vs No
    Combines multiple exposures to capture high dynamic range

Screen resolution Higher resolution screen 1,040k dots vs 920k dots
    More than 10% higher resolution screen

Sensor cleaning Has a self cleaning sensor Yes vs No
    Removes dust from the sensor automatically, avoiding spots in photos

True resolution Higher true resolution 17.9 MP vs 15.8 MP
    Capture more than 10% more detail in your photos

Light sensitivity Better maximum light sensitivity 12,800 ISO vs 6,400 ISO
    The EOS M's maximum light sensitivity is 1 f-stop better

Size Smaller 109x66x32 mm vs 117x67x39 mm
    More than 20% smaller

Lowest price Cheaper Rs.29,952.16 vs Rs.53,777.96
    The best price we've seen is Rs.23,826 cheaper (more than 40% less)

Thickness Thinner 1.3" vs 1.5"
    Around 20% thinner

Weight Slightly lighter 298 g vs 330 g
    Around 10% lighter

Advantages of the Fujifilm X-A1

Startup delay Much less startup delay 500 ms vs 2700 ms
    5.4x less delay when turning on

Image stabilization Image stabilization Lens vs None
    Helps eliminate blur caused by small camera movements

Shutter lag Much less shutter lag 500 ms vs 742 ms
    More than 30% less delay when taking photos

Screen flips out Has a flip-out screen Yes vs No
    Flip-out screens can be helpful when composing tricky shots or taking movies

Battery life Significantly longer battery life 350 shots vs 230 shots
    More than 50% more shots per battery charge

Focus points More focus points 49 vs 31
    Set focus accurately within the frame

Lens availability Slightly more lenses available 8 lenses vs 4 lenses
    2x more lenses available

Built-in flash Built-in flash Yes vs No
    A built-in flash is useful for taking indoor shots where there is little light

Sensor size Slightly larger sensor APS-C 23.6x15.7mm vs APS-C 22.3x14.9mm
    More than 10% larger sensor

Continuous shooting Shoots slightly faster 5.6 fps vs 4.3 fps
    More than 30% faster continuous shooting
    I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

Re: Fuji XA-1 v Canon eos M

by beeb » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:28 pm

I suspect the Fuji would be easier to use for anything but Auto mode, probably have faster auto-focus too from what I experienced toying with both at the last Digital Show in Melbourne. Best bet with close run things like this is to go to a bricks and mortar store and test them out. Take a memory card, then you can leave and pixel-peep at home if you're still undecided. But since you ask...

It's each to their own but personally I loathe the EOS M. It's a personal gripe of mine, but I find the touchscreen utterly impractical, requiring hunting through menus to access or change even basic settings. As this is the only way to interact with the camera, it made the whole experience pretty tedious for me. The autofocus on the kit-zoom I tested seemed very slow given the camera has no optical viewfinder. I also detest how Canon reserve many of the camera-customisation features for higher end models (classic "upselling" ploy). Even though the Fuji menus initially seem a little quirky, everything is readily available and generally fairly well prioritised so the stuff you use most comes up first. Even with the non-"X-Trans" sensor, the Fuji would be my pick. Quick and easy to use, great images, and tilting screen is a massive plus for getting creative with the shooting angles.
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:08 pm

Thanks Tim a great explanation as per always.

I think you have sealed the fate of the "M" , even though the new firmware has improved focus speed "heaps" it still lags by comparison.

Also the pivoting screen will be great for her to get those above crowd shots as she is right into musical live performances.

( just as a footnote, the Byron bay festival is now allowing cameras "as everyone does it anyhow!" )

I was sort of hoping you would shed some non statistical/specification based light on things as usability is a major factor in my eyes. (and you did !)

cheers mate

eden
    I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:56 pm

Well off I went yesterday to 3 camera stores with memory card in tow.

Only 1 store had both of these to try and were very vague on the deal or price and like the other 2 stores they had the xe-1 and the pro along with the leica and the olympus in my face in seconds pushing hard for the up-sell.

The only bonus was a young fella that had just left Tedds to get a job with Twin city camera house ( a smaller Adelaide store that joined camera house years ago) and he basically told me that they ( the stores in general ) try not to hand out the lower end cameras for clients to try but rather try and up-sell by pushing the upper end models for you to try.

so Im back to picking up the best second hand deal or bundle for either of them and if I'm not keen on it I can re-sell it on ebay.

"the best laid plans of mice and men"

oh well

:)
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by beeb » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:59 pm

Trying to "upsell" to a Leica is a bad joke. You would end up spending much more to get a lot less.

I suspect that no-one wants to hand out lower-end models as the images produced by all the various cameras are generally all so good now, that people might start to wonder why they need to spend 'X' amount more when the pictures look the same on the screen on the back... The X-A1 has a convetional Bayer-pattern sensor, but all the other Fuji "X-" cameras share a sensor and the optics are interchangeable, so why would someone pay premium dollars for an X-T1 if all they want is to use the camera as is a high-quality point and shoot?

Don't get me wrong, the market for digital cameras has never been better. There's just so many options now. Compact point-and-shoot cameras have never done a better job when set to the big green 'A' mode. Interchangable Lens Compact System Cameras are providing the more intuitive manual controls of SLR's in a smaller package, and D-SLR's continue to offer more with every generation (sometimes to their detriment now IMO). But the camera-store retailers are still heavily reliant on the "spending more means I will get better pictures" mentality. On an image-quality perspective it's true to an extent (if you know what to do with what you're buying) - but it still makes me laugh when I see the rich Chinese tourists in the city using a 5D Mk.III and 24-70 L II in Auto Mode and Live View to grab some holiday snapshots. What's that old saying - "More money than sense"?

Back on topic, I would still strongly recommend the Fuji. I reckon if one enters the family, they may start to breed... :wink: :lol:
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:51 am

beeb wrote:Trying to "upsell" to a Leica is a bad joke. You would end up spending much more to get a lot less.

I suspect that no-one wants to hand out lower-end models as the images produced by all the various cameras are generally all so good now, that people might start to wonder why they need to spend 'X' amount more when the pictures look the same on the screen on the back... The X-A1 has a convetional Bayer-pattern sensor, but all the other Fuji "X-" cameras share a sensor and the optics are interchangeable, so why would someone pay premium dollars for an X-T1 if all they want is to use the camera as is a high-quality point and shoot?

Don't get me wrong, the market for digital cameras has never been better. There's just so many options now. Compact point-and-shoot cameras have never done a better job when set to the big green 'A' mode. Interchangable Lens Compact System Cameras are providing the more intuitive manual controls of SLR's in a smaller package, and D-SLR's continue to offer more with every generation (sometimes to their detriment now IMO). But the camera-store retailers are still heavily reliant on the "spending more means I will get better pictures" mentality. On an image-quality perspective it's true to an extent (if you know what to do with what you're buying) - but it still makes me laugh when I see the rich Chinese tourists in the city using a 5D Mk.III and 24-70 L II in Auto Mode and Live View to grab some holiday snapshots. What's that old saying - "More money than sense"?

Back on topic, I would still strongly recommend the Fuji. I reckon if one enters the family, they may start to breed... :wink: :lol:

More dollars than sense

I whole heartedly agree with the above.
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott