Sigma 10-20mm + filter
  • kalshort1

Sigma 10-20mm + filter

by kalshort1 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:54 pm

So I've pretty much set my mind on getting a Sigma 10-20mm lens to meet my wide angle needs. I've tried to look for some discussion on the boards about filters, there's obviously pleanty of views out there, most very much pro or very much against filters - not a lot of middleground.

As I understand it digital cameras have a lot of built-in processing that negates many of the benefits associated with using filters (further negated by post editing which I prefer to avoid as I just don't have the time for it). I'm still very tempted to get a polarizer filter to use with this lens, particularly for use on landscapes, I'm also tossing up whether to get a grad filter particularly for use with sunsets/sunrises.

I'm reasonably comfortable with the choice to get a Polarizer but don't know a lot about the grad filters (did these use to bear the slang term cigar filter??). Some posts I've seen here, and elsewhere, really stress that they are a waste of time and money, others are a little more open to it. Of those who are open to it how would you rate the effect on your shots for sunsets/sunrises and is there a particular filter you would suggest that I look at for use with this lens?
    ion_mihaila

Re: Sigma 10-20mm + filter

by ion_mihaila » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:22 pm

Hi,
    I have this lens and is really great for landscapes, you just have to be careful with the huge field of view on your compositions.
    To use a polariser you need the pay attention where the sun is in relation to your frame. The polariser is at its strongest when you look 90 degrees from the sun but because this lens covers so much field of view the sky may look funny(uneven colour), you just need to experiment a bit.

For graduate ND filters I have a Cokin P series holder with a "normal" graduate filter - dark at one end and becomes clear in the middle, but for sunsets/sunrises I realised(didn't get one yet) that an inverted graduated filter might be better - starts clear, gets full dark half way and clear the second half and you line up the dark edge with the horizon where the sky is brightest.

The problem I found with the Cokin holder is that vignettes a bit at 10mm so you may need to crop or zoom a bit. There are some really narrow holders just to overcome this problem.

Hope that helps.
    C & C , PPOK welcome