new Canon 5Dmk4 ?
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

new Canon 5Dmk4 ?

by Eden » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:53 pm

https://youtu.be/nIUwZ2bxz4g

not sure how accurate this is but not in my price range anyhow :)

oh and anyone on the canoncollective facebook page can get some good discount on Cokin filter packages

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1089022 ... 9/?fref=nf

and the filter direct link

they say 20% - 50% off but I would't know

:)
    I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

Re: new Canon 5Dmk4 ?

by beeb » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:54 am

While I take these things with a grain of salt - If the 13-14 stop dynamic range in the RAW files doesn't match Sony/Nikon, they'll have serious problems. Canon's are great for ease-of-use (control layout and ergonomics), but holding the majority of features for high-end models and their rapidly aging sensors are seeing them fall behind Nikon (for D-SLR's) and Sony (for Mirrorless) very quickly.

I would suggest that at this point, a poor showing by Canon will see a lot of people looking to change to Nikon or Sony..

I will declare my bias, as I likely would've changed to Nikon by now if it didn't involve changing all my lenses over. That's why I ended up with a Sony. The dynamic range improvements are phenomenal, I can retain my Canon lenses via use of an adapter (ie: there's no TS-E's/PC-E's in the Sony range at this point), and all in a smaller form factor. Mirrorless won't be all things to all people, but it must be creating a very big thorn in the side of the D-SLR makers now.
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:25 pm

It sounds like a pretty average attempt to use up spare parts to me,

If you wanted a crop sensor surely you would just get one and have all your pixels on the crop sensor instead of 15mp worth from your paid for in blood 30mp sensor.

there must be logical reasons for that one would think

Im happy with my cheap little 70D anyhow :)
    I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by beeb » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:20 pm

Eden wrote:If you wanted a crop sensor surely you would just get one and have all your pixels on the crop sensor instead of 15mp worth from your paid for in blood 30mp sensor.

there must be logical reasons for that one would think

"Hmmm... Everyone else is doing it." :lol: That and it's a cheap and easy feature to add as it's really just some programming and software rather than major hardware changes. Though several EF-S lenses protrude pretty deeply into the body, it'd be interesting to see how much mirror clearance there is, as I though it wasn't just the vignetting that stopped them being mounted on 6Ds/5Ds...?

To be realistic, it's probably mainly about dangling a carrot for people looking to make the switch from APS-C to full-frame, but not wanting to change all their lenses at once. Upgrade-upselling is probably Canon's best marketing strategy.

Eden wrote:Im happy with my cheap little 70D anyhow :)

Nothing wrong with that mate, it's still a bloody good camera. It just annoys me that Canon asks A LOT more money for cameras that offer very little more (and in several ways a lot less less - ie: no built-in Wi-Fi or tilting LCD's).
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:55 pm

No pop up flash also on the 6D ( I couldnt work that out either)

I love the flip screen and the built in flash and the inbuilt wifi on the 70d

and as I love the macro the crop sensor and dual pixel sensor for AF made the 70D a no-brainer for me.

Oh and the second hand (under 5000 shutter count) $720 price tag was just my price point:) (I love it when people upgrade to full frame after just buying the crop sensor)
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by beeb » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:33 pm

Eden wrote:Oh and the second hand (under 5000 shutter count) $720 price tag was just my price point:) (I love it when people upgrade to full frame after just buying the crop sensor)

Nicely done, 5000 shots is nothing on that model - effectively still as new. Great buying!