FD 300mm f4
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

FD 300mm f4

by Eden » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:51 pm

A while back I was given (well loaned maybe) an A-1 and 4 lenses the 2 standout lenses being the fd 50mm f1.4 and the fd 300mm f4.

the 300mm had the aperture blades stuck open and I think/hope it is a combination of the old lube grease they used then hardening and sticking the blades rather than something mechanical as it had all been stored wrapped up in a shed in a hot country town location.

I bit the bullet yesterday and dropped it off for overhaul at my fav camera shop. The surgeon came out and had that "I'm sorry but its terminal look" on his face.
    He confirmed my thoughts as to the grease being the most likely cause.
    He said "it is a big job as I have to pull it near totally apart and clean then use a better lube to grease her up again, then clean and check everything as it goes back together. Worst case scenario being $250 and with some luck a bit less.

He knows I'm still on a budget so his jaw nearly dropped when I said "do it".

I must be crazy as I wont spend $200 to fix the EF 75-300 IS USM f4.5-6 that is a late 80's lens but am happy to do it with this 1976 lens being 40 years old.

I know I will like it on the eosM mirrorless but it made me get out the A-1 and give it a once over in anticipation of running some film :)

I was reluctant to grab some film while I was there as I was sure there were a few rolls tucked away with my old EOS 1000F-N and thought there was a roll with the gear I was given (well loaned maybe :) )

bingo
    -4 rolls of 24exp Kodak Max iso400 and 5 rolls of Fuji X-TRA iso400

now the Kodak is in black film containers and the Fuji is in opaque translucent containers

Is this film likely to still be good?
    and I can't see any dates on them so what is the shelf life of well kept film?

PS... You can never forget the smell of film, as soon as I popped the first lid I had a heap of memories flash back.
    I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

Re: FD 300mm f4

by Doug » Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:01 pm

Long term storage of film is best done in the fridge, if the film has been in a relatively cool dry place it is probably worth a go to try one of each.

Here are a couple of product PDF's on the films

http://www.kodak.com.au/ek/uploadedFile ... Max400.pdf

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/consum ... asheet.pdf
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:29 pm

Yep I reckon I will run a roll of each and cross my fingers.

thanks for the pdf's,

I find it interesting that Kodak say cool and dry for long term storage and Fuji say dry and below freezing for long term storage.
    I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by W G » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:06 pm

Eden,

The last thing you should worry about with film is the age or storage. You're shooting for fun and recreation and out of date film can lead to wonderfully whacky results. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Here is a link to a site I used to participate in from time to time before I lost my Log In details:
    http://www.filmwasters.com/forum/index. ... wwRedirect

Many of the contributors purposefully use junk or vintage snap shooter cams and film in all manner of condition. To be honest, I suspect that lots of what they get up to might be right up your alley.

Cheers,
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:18 am

Thankyou for that link Walter. I have been checking out the site and there are some great shots in there.

I had no idea that there were so many sizes and types of film out there!

Some very keen film photographers also :)
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK