[Unofficial] Weekly Challenge - Week 4 - "Depth of Field"
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

[Unofficial] Weekly Challenge - Week 4 - "Depth of Field"

by beeb » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:02 pm

Week 4 Technique Challenge - "Depth of Field" (Week 4 ends 31st of January 2016)

With the end-of-month weeks (roughly) we'll be having occasional technique challenges.

This week's challenge is Depth of Field. Whether it's deep DOF or shallow DOF, just aim to tailor the DOF to the subject of the shot. :)

Suggestions:
    > For deep DOF, a numerically lower f/ number (ie: f/11 or f/16) will create a deeper area of sharp focus, whereas a lower f/ number (ie f/2 or f/2.8 ) will be shallower.
    > If you're trying to create a deep DOF, a wide angle lens will make it easier to get everything in focus.
    > If you want shallow DOF, using a longer lens/focal length and getting in close to your subject will help create blur in front and behind the subject.

There's nothing at stake, no winners or losers, so feel free to get involved and have some fun. Look forward to seeing your shots. 8)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Challenge guidelines:

1) Up to 3 images accepted - but if posting more than one image the images should all be significantly different - ie: 1x Landscape, 1x Macro shot, and 1x Portrait is fine, but 3 pictures of your dog chasing a frisbie would be considered "too similar", even if lighting conditions are different or different angles are used. Different interpretations of the theme is the aim if posting multiple shots.

2) Images should be "Safe for Work" (no nudity, implied nudity, etc...).

3) All images should be taken within the specified time frame. This one's not a rule, but the aim of the challenge is to think about the theme, interpret, and get out and shoot! :wink:

4) There is no set equipment - as long as the image presented is a photo of some type, any medium/method is allowed. Film camera, cameraphone, point and shoot, mirrorless, D-SLR, Polaroid, whatever!

5) Editing, be it digital or darkroom is allowed.
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

Re: [Unofficial] Weekly Challenge - Week 4 - "Depth of Field

by Doug » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:30 am

This one from Saturday night fits the bill.

Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:42 pm

big depth of field there Doug,

I love the pebbles in the foreground!
    I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:44 pm

Scrounging around a building site in the Potr today.

will go back for another sniff at the site tomorrow :)

ImageIMG_0970 by Eden Leverington, on Flickr
    I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:00 pm

There are so many empty blocks and buildings in the Port. a little sad for me sometimes :)

ImageIMG_0982 by Eden Leverington, on Flickr

I think I hit the wrong filter instead of B+W will sort it later (it went all grainy on me)
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by W G » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:15 pm

Eden,

I hope you don't mind me offering a critical comment but it is intended as a pointer for future exercises:

I am a fan of differential focus but you must remember that our impression of what constitutes 'sharp' is hugely influenced by a perception of higher local contrast. (It is, after all, what auto-focus has eased its reckoning on to large extent for a long time.) To have your plane of sharp focus in a show contest, shaded brickwork, adjacent to a strongly patterned background and a boldly toned downpipe makes this look more like missed focus than a deliberately placed plane.

Regards,
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:30 pm

thanks for saying that Walter,
    I always appreciate your thoughts!

I honestly am not keen on the way it worked out and even though it is what I saw/liked it does not present well.

I have shots with the foreground and background in focus and I could not get the "shittyness" of another crappy old red brick wall laying derelict captured at all.

I grabbed a few focussed to the fore and back but even though they present better on screen ( I will need to go there in the morning so that the middle brickwork is under more light and hopefully looks a little more even ) I did not have that feel (typical !)

I will post the other two shots but I'm thinking I need to look at the available light and where it is coming from just a little more often.
    A learning experience for sure :(

but as I mentioned I will be back tom arvo with your thoughts and a few of mine in the background.

ImageIMG_0981 by Eden Leverington, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0980 by Eden Leverington, on Flickr

neither saw what I saw but the last was the closer.

cheers for the honest input, I need to think this shot out more ,, or scrap it :)
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:14 am

Just an afterthought, but how long will it be before they can implant a camera into your eye that can see at similar vision to the crop of an eyeball or pupil and what if our sight was through a similar organic lens type, strewth?
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by W G » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:30 am

Eden,

For the last of these shots works better, if not as dramatically. There clearly delineated distant brick wall gives purpose and relevance to the murkier out of focus wall in the foreground. But it does not at all convey the sentiment your words do. Better, but about something else all together
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by W G » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:51 pm

Not differential focus with limited DOF but extended plane of focus from fear to far. The tell-take of the tilt is the fern growing from the stones hight up away from the boat which is starting to get fuzzy.

The dilapidated boat was moored to a jetty at Berwick-Upon-Tweed, a largely walled market town Northumberland.

Curiously, Berwick-Upon-Tweed was still at war with Russia until 1966 when a peace treaty was entered into. Russia could once again sleep comfortably at night.
    Walter Glover

Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:12 pm

It is pictures like this of yours that I'm reminded how much of the viewing experience I must be missing out on that it is not a large print.
    It looks to be a feast of detail and texture.
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by W G » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:48 am

Thank you for your comments Doug

I won't go into the reasons why it is as it is — you've heard me rabbiting them ad nauseum.

But let me just say that, technicalities aside, a huge amount comes from intent and recognition of possibilities. The boat was not remotely aligned to my project but it presented a raft of appealing clues: the detritus, the patina, the offset of ropey textures, weathered timber, smooth water and the textural enhancement of vegetation by glistening menisci. It demanded 5 minutes and a sheet of film. Not a great shot, mine never aspire to be great shots, but a celebration of what was given to me on that occasion.
    Walter Glover

• beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by beeb » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:59 pm

W G wrote:...but it presented a raft...

Pun intended? :P

I like the philosophy behind what you're saying though Walter, keep awareness for if an off-plan opportunity arises. So many times what I go out intending to shoot is not what I end up shooting.
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by beeb » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:10 pm

Mirrored by T. Flack, on Flickr
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by beeb » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:55 pm

Not vastly different, but adding to the narrow DOF side of the theme.

Reaching into the light... by T. Flack, on Flickr

Soft Spikes by T. Flack, on Flickr