Nepal
    10fps
    Cadet
    Cadet

Nepal

by 10fps » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:24 pm

Anyone been to Nepal in the last couple of years or so. Thinking about going there in 2011. No idea yet whereabouts, but Kathmandu will be on the cards & Everest (for a look, not a climb).

Mainly interested in what gear you took as I gather electricity might be hard to find every day, to re-charge batteries etc & lugging lots of gear might be a hassle, both security wise & comfort.
    Say "Cheese" - Cheeeeeese
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:39 pm

I have researched this one ongoing for a number of years.

Are you thinking of trekking to Base Camp?

If so the Lonely planet books spell it out really well, I would be working out how to rig a solar panel on your pack to charge batteries as you are correct, power will be an issue. It is do-able I believe but you will have to be conservative (for your own back at least) and clever with what you pack.
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
    10fps
    Cadet
    Cadet

by 10fps » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:45 pm

I had a quick look at lunchtime today on http://www.peregrineadventures.com/

They have an Everest base camp trek that lasts 18days, hence my question about power for re-charges. I don't think you could make batteries last that long without a re-charge, especially if the weather is cold.

I also borrowed a Lonely Planet book on Nepal this afternoon from a Library. It is the 2007 edition & was the latest one they had.

Apart from that, I have always wanted to see Everest & since I have missed out on Mt McKinley (bad weather) in Alaska on 2 trips there, i thought I'd try the BIGGEST mountain next time.
    heartyfisher
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by heartyfisher » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:08 pm

I saw a solar powered backpack the other day which has enough power for a laptop !! (new solar cell tech) bit expensive but if you are going to those kinds of places it would be invaluable.

Will have to google it ... brb

ok here it is.. its out of stock because of Haiti !!

http://www.voltaicsystems.com/bag_generator.shtml
    Moments of Light : D7K D610 18-200 150 12-24 24-70 70-200 + C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.
  • ks04

by ks04 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:11 pm

I'm heading off to Nepal in december/January this year/next year. The trip has been organised through World Expeditions and I can't wait - should be some amazing opportunities for photos!
  • jimtopia

by jimtopia » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:03 am

My sister went there in Feb '09. After much research she discovered that going to Annapurna Base Camp was a much more scenic and picturesque place to go than everest base camp.
  • jimtopia

by jimtopia » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:06 am

found an itinerary for part of her trip in Nepal:
    20 February: Kathmandu to Pokhara
    Driven to the beautiful lakeside city Pokhara, a market town in western Nepal set on the beautiful Lake Phew at the foot of the Machapuchare, with the Himalayas behind it. The scenery along the road between Kathmandu and Pokhara is a constantly changing treat for the eye – rock gorges and rivers, rolling hills, tiered rice paddy terraces and glimpses of the Himalayas in the background. In Pokhara, you can can swim in or canoe on the lake, hike into the hills and visit the Tibetan refugee centre or simply hire a bike and enjoy this laid back lakeside town. Along the lakeside road is a continuous stretch of small hotels, restaurants and shops; it’s an area that still has a bit of the old hippie scene feel about it.

21 February: Trek Day 1
    Driven to Nayapul (1070m), to start our hike into the dazzling natural amphitheatre formed by the staggeringly beautiful peaks of the giants Annapurna 1, Glacier Dome, Gangapurna, Fang and the fishtail peak of Machapuchare. Trek from Nayapul to Tikhedhungal (1540m).

22 February: Trek Day 2
    Trek Tikhedhunga to Banthati (2300m) for lunch. We continue along the Bhurungdi Khola and ascend Ulleri Hill, eventually arriving at Ghorepani (3000m) where there are perfect views of the Annapurna range.

23 February: Trek Day 3
    Dawn walk, around 5 am, to summit of Poon Hill to watch a magnificent sunrise over the Himalayas. West to east you can see Dhaulagiri, Tukuche, Dhampus Peak, Nilgiri, Annapurnas and Machapuchare After breakfast, continue to Tadapani (2590m), trekking through open grassland and deep forests. On the way there are excellent views of Annapurna South and the Manaslu range.

24 February: Trek Day 4
    A lovely day of walking as we continue to Chomrong (3210m), with a lunch stop at Gurajun.

25 February: Trek Day 5
    Continue uphill to Dovan (2510m), with a lunch stop at Bamboo (2340m).

26 February: Trek Day 6
    A hard day trekking as we ascend through the gates of the sanctuary to Machapuchare Base Camp (3700m), with lunch at Deaurali (3230m).

27 February: Trek Day 7
    We continue our exploration of the sanctuary and ascend to the Annapurna Base Camp. (4130m), then trek back to Bamboo

28 February: Trek Day 8
    Trek to Jhinuwa (1780m), via Jhinu hot spring where we can enjoy a hot spring bath. (Himal Water)

1 March: Trek Day 9
    Trek to Tolkha (1850m)

2 March: Trek Day 10
    Trek via Pothana (1890m) to the village of Dhampus, (1770m) located along a ridge. This is a great spot that affords lovely views of the magnificent Annapurnas and Machapuchare. Continue from Dhampus to Phedi, then drive to Pokhara

3 March: Pokhara to Kathmandu

4 March: Kathmandu
    10fps
    Cadet
    Cadet

by 10fps » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:47 am

jimtopia wrote:My sister went there in Feb '09. After much research she discovered that going to Annapurna Base Camp was a much more scenic and picturesque place to go than everest base camp.

Thanks for the info. Who did your sister organise her trip through?
  • jimtopia

by jimtopia » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:02 pm

10fps wrote:
    jimtopia wrote:My sister went there in Feb '09. After much research she discovered that going to Annapurna Base Camp was a much more scenic and picturesque place to go than everest base camp.

she is travelling in Jordan and Egypt at the moment so can't ask quickly, but from memory part of her time in Napal was organised with http://www.geckosadventures.com

I suspect the hiking part was with a different tour group but I should be able to advise in a few days or so when I next hear from her.
  • jimtopia

by jimtopia » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:40 pm

jimtopia wrote:
    10fps wrote:

she is travelling in Jordan and Egypt at the moment so can't ask quickly, but from memory part of her time in Napal was organised with http://www.geckosadventures.com

I suspect the hiking part was with a different tour group but I should be able to advise in a few days or so when I next hear from her.

My sister did a tour after the hike with the Gecko people and they were good.

She planned the hike part of the trip and had a friend of a friend organise a local guide who was fantastic. (for more details PM me in march when I can get more details about the guide).

A pano I stitched together using a dozen photos she took on the hike is below: