Help - Good Photo Locations near Cairns/FNQ...
    Remorhaz
    Cadet
    Cadet

Help - Good Photo Locations near Cairns/FNQ...

by Remorhaz » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:08 am

I'll be staying in Cairns for about a week soon and was wondering if people had any recommendations for some good locations I might consider taking photographs at. I'll be with my family and we'll be doing the normal touristy thing as well so I'm not going to be able to just run off for days and shoot, however if there are places which are either quick to get to from Cairns/Trinity Beach (so I might go myself) or also suitable for the kids to be entertained for a while as well. FYI: I'll also have a car for the week.

Some I'm already aware of include (but if you have any specific location advice (e.g. park at XX and go to the YY at dawn, etc) at that location I'd be happy to hear it):
    • Cairns Esplanade
    • Cairns Botanical Gardens
    • Trinity Inlet
    • Mossman Gorge
    • Crystal Cascades
    • Daintree
    • Cape Tribulation (I assume this is probably a full day trip from Cairns - any specific places the whole family could easily get to and have fun?)
    • Atherton Tablelands (again a day trip?)
    D7000,D90,8-16/4.5-5.6,12-24/4,17-50/2.8,18-200/3.5-5.6,50/1.4,90/2.8 Macro,70-200/2.8,70-300/4.5-5.6,SB-900&600,Sirui N2204+K20x,Manfrotto 190+488,Benro MC-91+BH-1
    Rodney - My Photo Blog
    PPOK
    angeladventure

by angeladventure » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:25 pm

The Daintree Rainforest and River is also a good location to get quality nature shots. :D
    dm_td5
    Cadet
    Cadet

by dm_td5 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:15 pm

Josephine Falls/The Boulders down at Babinda - a 1/2 day trip.
    The old Palmerstone Hwy (Ravenshoe road from Milla Milla) has a couple of lovely waterfalls if you know where to go. But the waterfall drive around the tablelands is good also the drive around lake Tinnaroo and the 2 crater lakes.

If you are going to do the Skyrail and the Karanda train then I strongly recommend taking the train up and the Skyrail back. The train is a lot slower going up and so better chance of good shots. The view from the Skyrail is fantastic as you crest the last descent.
    Derek - Nikon, Manfrotto, RRS, Apple *- PPOK -*
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by W G » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:35 pm

Kuranda, the train to Kuranda and the Barron Falls & rapids.
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi
    Dug
    Senior Photojournalist
    Senior Photojournalist

by Dug » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:45 pm

the botanic gardens

The sky rail thing

They have a great go cart track :D

if the weather is good a day trip to the reef ( green Island )

Kuranda

Innisfail ( the Boulders ) is amazing !
    "Photography to the amateur is recreation, to the professional it is work, and hard work too, no matter how pleasurable it may be."

Edward Weston

( Total NIKON bigot )

PPOK
    Dug
    Senior Photojournalist
    Senior Photojournalist

by Dug » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:48 pm

One cairns trip some years ago we stopped in at the Boulders in the center of the rain forest as a bus load of tourists arrived

One loud American complained ( as only they can ) "Well darn it ! I came all this way to see a rainforrest and now I can't because it is raining "

She was surprised and disappointed it was actually raining in a rain forest !!! :shock:
    "Photography to the amateur is recreation, to the professional it is work, and hard work too, no matter how pleasurable it may be."

Edward Weston

( Total NIKON bigot )

PPOK
  • gerry
    Cadet
    Cadet

by gerry » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:06 pm

Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:08 am Post subject: Help - Good Photo Locations near Cairns/FNQ...

Rodney has been and gone to FNQ.

:lol:
    just coz its the internet does not mean you can act like a dick :)