Kooka KK-C25A 25mm AF macro tube for Canon EOS
  • old4570

Kooka KK-C25A 25mm AF macro tube for Canon EOS

by old4570 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:01 pm

Kooka KK-C25A 25mm AF Macro Tube for Canon EOS

Did you take note of the Price ?

For less than $20 ozzi bananas you can have a auto focusing macro tube for your Canon EOS camera ( fitted to a Canon 60D in this case ) . Lets talk about the tube , yes its made out of PLASTIC , yes it feels cheap , yes it actually is very affordable ( Cheap ) . The tube to camera body fit is virtually flawless in my case , but the tube to lens fit is a little less so . If you torque the lens from side to side there is a very small amount of play , same again if you twist the lens in the mount there is a slight amount of play . Neither is a problem , and may very well be due to the plastic mount of the Canon 18-55 kit lens . The play is very minor , and should in no way affect the performance of the tube .

If you look at the pictures , you will notice two with the camera on a tripod , these two pictures are to show you the focus range with the 18-55 kit lens at 55mm and the closest and furthest focus points . All pictures ( macro ) were taken without flash , and in manual focus mode . And I have to say that the 18-55 kit lens does not auto focus well with the tube , it really has problems locking onto a focus point and hunts back and forth like two children on a see saw . In fact after a while it really does become an issue , one that is easily solved by switching the lens to manual focus . Now this is not the fault of the macro tube , but rather the 18-55 kit lens and the Canon 60D . Again , the fix is to simply use manual focus . This does not mean how ever that you can not use auto focus because you can , one simply has to make sure there is a decent focus point ( for the camera to lock onto ) and enough light . Yes , getting enough light has always been an issue for auto focus ..

Again looking at the pictures , the plant shots I was able to auto focus , but as soon as the sun went behind cloud the lens began to focus hunt . The shot of the tiles ( pebbly crack ) , well it hunted something awful . Without a strong focus point the lens see sawed back and forth trying to find focus , and the amount of light available did not seem to help at all . ( very much a lens camera issue ) That shot was taken in manual focus mode .

Bottom line ! Is this a product worth owning ? Hell yes , it is very much so . The Kooka KK-C25A has to be the cheapest and possibly best entry level solution for those wishing to try macro photography . The resulting images will be dependent not on the tube , but rather the skill of the user as well the Camera body and lens chosen . I can't give the Kooka 10 out of 10 , but I think it has earned a solid 8 out of 10 , and for less than $20 ozzi bananas is a steal .

Focus Hunting:

This is very much a Camera / Lens issue and one that is exasperated by the tube ( made worse ) . Even in good light , if the lens was not given a good solid focus point the lens would hunt . The worse the ambient light or less solid the focus point , the lens would hunt more ( over a larger range ) looking for something to lock onto . The obvious cure is to use the lens in manual focus mode , even if you had a 90% reliable focus lock would you risk loosing a great shot to focus hunting ? Most macro photographers would not .
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

Re: Kooka KK-C25A 25mm AF macro tube for Canon EOS

by Doug » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:11 pm

Thanks for the comprehensive impressions.
    Looks like a bargain for the intro macro photographer.
  • old4570

Re: Kooka KK-C25A 25mm AF macro tube for Canon EOS

by old4570 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:27 pm

It is a steal at this price ...
    And tubes have no real impact on image quality , so its a little like cheating ... As cost has little to do with the end result .
    ( have your cake and eat it )

I used the kit lens as this is what most budding photographers have in their kit bag , and another $20 ozzi and your into serious macro capability ... ( Where was this tube 5 years ago )