tick for DDP
    HB

tick for DDP

by HB » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:29 pm

Just bought a new telephoto zoom from Discount Digital Photographics and they were great to deal with.

As I live in Brissie I could just drop in to their Newfarm outlet, the young chap behind the desk was very helpful and also quite happy to show and tell re a Giottos tripod I was interested in.
  • avkomp

by avkomp » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:48 pm

hi Helen

welcome to the forum

glad we shamed you into posting
    :lol:
    Bodak
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by Bodak » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:11 pm

I can back that tick up as well..
    Be at peace. - Stephen.
    Web Site
    PPOK

by Guest » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:34 pm

my second home :?
    Canon400D
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Canon400D » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:56 pm

I'd also like to agree, i just bought myself a 100mm Macro, got it at a great price and the service was great.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
    50D, 18-55mm, 70-300mm and 100mm macro

Les
  • peter45

DDP

by peter45 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:34 pm

Hi, in the market for a Canon 60D. DDP seems great, how about the Australian warranty, and claiming GST when travelling?
    Cheers.
    Dug
    Senior Photojournalist
    Senior Photojournalist

by Dug » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:12 pm

HB Is that the great Cthulhu Destroyer of Worlds and Bringer of Chaos ?
    "Photography to the amateur is recreation, to the professional it is work, and hard work too, no matter how pleasurable it may be."

Edward Weston

( Total NIKON bigot )

PPOK
  • peter45

by peter45 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:08 pm

Could be Dug, just could be....................
    Remorhaz
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Remorhaz » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:05 pm

DDP sells grey market so you won't get Canon Australia warranty but DDP will offer their own of sorts. I don't think you can claim TRS.

I've bought a few things from DDP (in Sydney) - their prices are generally better than local aus prices of course but generally more than what you could do with one of the Hong Kong places (which I've also used a few of). However the store is here in Syd so you can at least physically go their - their actual service is non existent - you basically have to rock up and know exactly what you want and buy it.
    D7000,D90,8-16/4.5-5.6,12-24/4,17-50/2.8,18-200/3.5-5.6,50/1.4,90/2.8 Macro,70-200/2.8,70-300/4.5-5.6,SB-900&600,Sirui N2204+K20x,Manfrotto 190+488,Benro MC-91+BH-1
    Rodney - My Photo Blog
    PPOK
  • peter45

by peter45 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:58 pm

Thanks.
    HB

DPP

by HB » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:12 am

Dug wrote:HB Is that the great Cthulhu Destroyer of Worlds and Bringer of Chaos ?

Yes Dug, it certainly is. Plush version. Dressed as Elvis. Naturally.

Btw I had no probs claiming the TRS on that lens I got a few years back.
  • peter45

DDP/E

by peter45 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:58 am

Hi fellow shooters. After reading all the info in the forums in this great site, I finally bought my Canon 60D from DDE, the Singapore partner of DDP.
    Eventually all turned out good, so I guess a tick is warranted.
    The story: After communicating with DDP by email and phone I opted for the Singapore version as I wanted to practise before going overseas, and to give it plenty of time to see if everything worked ok. It did. I could have claimed the TRS from DDP, but naturally not from DDE because the sales tax was already off.
    I paid $AUD853.01 for the camera and $41.81 for postage, a total of $AUD894.82, a good buy I think. DDP said I could send the camera directly to them for any warranty if needed, so the camera didn't have to leave Australia, which was my main buying point.
    Unfortunately things began to unravel slightly from there. I paid by paypal, the safest, but got the bill in US$ which at the time came to $964 (they work on minute to minute live prices and only shown in US$). This was not explained so I emailed Singapore, and got the Aussie number for them, rang them and asked why I now had to pay the extra. I was a little annoyed, BUT the bloke (and I have his name) who answered me was actually shouting/screaming that I was virtually an idiot and he would not complete the order. He was Aussie - a bad day perhaps. I nearly cancelled then and there, but he calmed down and we went from there.
    The camera was sent FedEx, great, but for some reason, when I was following the tracking, someone had notified them that I was picking it up from Brisbane airport, about an hour and a half drive each way.
    I rang them, talked to someone who was extremely hard to understand (maybe American lady with stong accent and high pitched voice) but who was really helpful and nice. She said she didn't understand why it had happened but would make sure I received the camera.
    Being me, I then rang DDP and told them, but they fobbed me off saying to ring some other transport company - apparently they didn't realise it was FedEx.
    I was still concerned, but I received a phone call that evening from an Asian, who was the Aussie head of DDP who assured me I would get the camera, he would look into it.
    I got it the next day or the day after.
    End of story.
    Whew!
    So I THINK it is a tick.
    The moral of the story? Check everything, communicate.
    I hope this sheds some light on these grey import companies.
    I would use DDE if I wasn't going overseas, for the GST benefit, but DDP if I was.
    Cheers,
    Peter.
    HB

by HB » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:22 am

Wow Peter45, what a pain! Glad you got the camera in the end.

That's why I much prefer dealing with a shopfront if at all possible (understand that this wasn't an option in your case).

Hope you are enjoying the 60D. I have to work hard to battle GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) - know that I am not getting anywhere near the max out of my little Eos 400D yet...
  • peter45

by peter45 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:42 am

Hi HB
    Money was certainly a big aspect for me to upgrade from the 450D, which is a great camera, to the 60D. I only did it because I wanted the video aspect to complement the stills. We always make a project of our travels, using pinnacle, so we can watch them on the TV with titles, music, transitions, voice over, etc.
    Now I am in a great learning curve! Getting there.
    DDP told me there was no store in Brisbane, only Sydney now?
    Cheers.
    HB

by HB » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:56 pm

Yeah, I only found out today from a friend that there isn't a Brissie shop anymore - bummed :(

Totes understand the need for video - currently my OH has a great lil video camera, and many hours of HD footage that need to be sorted!! Once the technology becomes too outdated, I'll mount a convincing case for a dSLR upgrade :)

Speaking of video - do you recommend Pinnacle?

Cheers